E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Wierd Battery Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 11:48 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by drjochen' post='198177' date='Nov 14 2005, 03:18 PM
So the car can't even sit for a couple of days???? That is very impressive....
Mine sits for 2 weeks or so sometimes, starts perfectly when we get back in town, purrs like a kitten initally, and roars like a lion when floored later. So, the B&B keeps on ticking too. ~{;^)
Old 11-14-2005, 12:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

[/quote]
"Monkeys?" I wish we could speak respectfully of all others. But, anyway, you might want to get to your dealer ASAP as otherwise you may end up stranded and having to be "towed." I had a car once that would do highly strange electrical things occassionally and then apparently fix itself. Unfortunately, because of the same issue, it stranded me in the "bad lands" of New Mexico.
[/quote]

Monkey's, short of Grease Monkey, isn't that still considered a politically correct term within the auto community - or have we lost that one too?

I still need to take it in - have not had anything since that would remotely relate to a battery problem.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by jsal' post='198210' date='Nov 14 2005, 04:23 PM
"Monkeys?" I wish we could speak respectfully of all others. But, anyway, you might want to get to your dealer ASAP as otherwise you may end up stranded and having to be "towed." I had a car once that would do highly strange electrical things occassionally and then apparently fix itself. Unfortunately, because of the same issue, it stranded me in the "bad lands" of New Mexico.
Monkey's, short of Grease Monkey, isn't that still considered a politically correct term within the auto community - or have we lost that one too?

I still need to take it in - have not had anything since that would remotely relate to a battery problem.
Well, maybe I'm the one that is lost. I have bumped into references to "idiots," "Japs," and "monkeys" lately. I did not understand that you meant for "monkeys to be short for "grease monkeys." I thought you were alluding to the bad work you expected to receive or something similar. Sorry, my bad.

I do know that in the US the technicians like to be called "technicians" and not "mechanics." I'll bet they would not like "grease monkeys" very much, but you did not mean to refer to the technicians pejoratively.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

[/quote]
Well, maybe I'm the one that is lost. I have bumped into references to "idiots," "Japs," and "monkeys" lately. I did not understand that you meant for "monkeys to be short for "grease monkeys." I thought you were alluding to the bad work you expected to receive or something similar. Sorry, my bad.

I do know that in the US the technicians like to be called "technicians" and not "mechanics." I'll bet they would not like "grease monkeys" very much, but you did not mean to refer to the technicians pejoratively.
[/quote]

So far I have actually been pleased with my SA and the work from my BMW center. However, my SA moved to AZ - maybe you will run into him, and the Service manager who has been with BMW for 20 years quit. I am a little worried about my new SA, but so far the work has been good - no complaints.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:27 PM
Contributors

So far I have actually been pleased with my SA and the work from my BMW center. However, my SA moved to AZ - maybe you will run into him, and the Service manager who has been with BMW for 20 years quit. I am a little worried about my new SA, but so far the work has been good - no complaints.
I have been very happy with my SA and BMW service also. I'm glad yours has been good too. I'll keep my eyes open for anyone who recently has moved to Phoenix from your area.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Originally Posted by jsal' post='195161' date='Nov 8 2005, 10:40 AM
I had a wierd battery problem that occured when I left my car at the airport for 4 days. I have never had this happen before.

It was like the battery was almost dead, but the car did start. My clock lost about 10 minutes, my trip computer/calculations had lost its memory - and now my alarm acoustic confirm does not work

The alarm acoustic is turned on - and I have tried turning it off, then back on. The light confimation does work and by the indicator light on my review mirror, the alarm is function.

Based on previous info I had seen, I did not have any accessories plugged in (i.e. phone and radar detector). It was raining a bit and I had my auto wipers enabled, but that usually shuts down with ignition.

I will take it into the dealer in the next few weeks, but thought I would try to gather some info before I take it into the monkeys.
Just yesterday, I just had an interesting experience with my 545i that I hadn't had before and it may relate to your problem. I had been at a friends house for about an hour and his son came in and asked me if my Nav (meaning Idrive) was supposed to always be on in my car. So I went out to take a look and sure enough the display was up and running! This was long after it should have gone to sleep. I turned the ignition on and off several times and although it did appear to shut down, it came back up after about 30 seconds each time. So, I did a reboot (see elsewhere here for the "ctl alt delete") and it still would not shut off.

Eventually I noticed that the phone Antenna symbol was flashing oddly, so thinking it was possibly caused by some sort of Bluetooth fault, I went to the Communication menu and disabled it, then I re-discovered my phone. That fixed it! So if you have Bluetooth, beware of the flashing antenna.

By the way, I have CIP 17.1 and this may be specific to that version.