E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Wierd Battery Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 07:40 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

I had a wierd battery problem that occured when I left my car at the airport for 4 days. I have never had this happen before.

It was like the battery was almost dead, but the car did start. My clock lost about 10 minutes, my trip computer/calculations had lost its memory - and now my alarm acoustic confirm does not work

The alarm acoustic is turned on - and I have tried turning it off, then back on. The light confimation does work and by the indicator light on my review mirror, the alarm is function.

Based on previous info I had seen, I did not have any accessories plugged in (i.e. phone and radar detector). It was raining a bit and I had my auto wipers enabled, but that usually shuts down with ignition.

I will take it into the dealer in the next few weeks, but thought I would try to gather some info before I take it into the monkeys.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:42 AM
Contributors

I have a car similar to yours, except a year older. I left mine for 14 days without any battery issues. FYI
Old 11-09-2005, 04:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by juan2mini' post='195185' date='Nov 8 2005, 09:42 AM
I have a car similar to yours, except a year older. I left mine for 14 days without any battery issues. FYI
I have left it at the airport many of times (covered parking of course), as well as in the garage over the Holidays and extended trips up to 10+ days without a problem.

This was just a wierd occurance and I did not have any accessories plugged in as noted on previous problems and SIB 61 12 05.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

My car is a 2004 as well and like you I have left it parked for a number of days at a time w/ no issues. Being nearly two years old, it could be something as simple as a cell going bad in the battery so that it won't hold the charge as well. Have not heard of anyone with a similar problem, but I'd get the battery checked before you find yourself somewhere with a dead car...
Old 11-09-2005, 09:00 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='195990' date='Nov 9 2005, 05:55 PM
My car is a 2004 as well and like you I have left it parked for a number of days at a time w/ no issues. Being nearly two years old, it could be something as simple as a cell going bad in the battery so that it won't hold the charge as well. Have not heard of anyone with a similar problem, but I'd get the battery checked before you find yourself somewhere with a dead car...
I need to make the time to take it in to get checked - good point. I stopped at the office on my way home that night and left the car running - did not want to get stuck at midnight. That was two weeks ago and I have not had any problems since - although I have a hard time leaving it sit when I am in town.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by jsal' post='195161' date='Nov 8 2005, 11:40 AM
I had a wierd battery problem that occured when I left my car at the airport for 4 days. I have never had this happen before.

It was like the battery was almost dead, but the car did start. My clock lost about 10 minutes, my trip computer/calculations had lost its memory - and now my alarm acoustic confirm does not work

The alarm acoustic is turned on - and I have tried turning it off, then back on. The light confimation does work and by the indicator light on my review mirror, the alarm is function.

Based on previous info I had seen, I did not have any accessories plugged in (i.e. phone and radar detector). It was raining a bit and I had my auto wipers enabled, but that usually shuts down with ignition.

I will take it into the dealer in the next few weeks, but thought I would try to gather some info before I take it into the monkeys.

Just got the diagnosis call from my service department, confirming that I need a new battery; my symptoms were the same as yours, with allkinds of crazy codes being thrown. These things have a constant load on the battery and if not driven regularly, the battery's early stages of failure are apparent, even though it will eventually start. The battery retails for $315 here in US.

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 11-14-2005, 10:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by jsal' post='195161' date='Nov 8 2005, 11:40 AM

"Monkeys?" I wish we could speak respectfully of all others. But, anyway, you might want to get to your dealer ASAP as otherwise you may end up stranded and having to be "towed." I had a car once that would do highly strange electrical things occassionally and then apparently fix itself. Unfortunately, because of the same issue, it stranded me in the "bad lands" of New Mexico.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:15 AM
Senior Members

i take it the the battery is covered by the warrenty
Old 11-14-2005, 10:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by tonye60' post='198144' date='Nov 14 2005, 02:15 PM
i take it the the battery is covered by the warrenty
The battery is covered for some period of time, but I am not sure if it is covered for the whole original warranty period. Given BMW's service policy, maybe? probably?
Old 11-14-2005, 11:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

So the car can't even sit for a couple of days???? That is very impressive....

Quick Reply: Wierd Battery Problem