E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Why so few 535i 6spds?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 08:49 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering why there are so few 535i manuals out there? It seems almost all the 535i's out there are the automanual. I would think a "sport sedan" would warrant a 6spd manual most of the time, but it seems most people opt for the auto. Any thoughts why? Is the automanual that nice in this car? Or is the manual that bad? Or is it just the demographic that drives these cars that wants the convenience of the auto?

Just curious...
Old 12-12-2008, 12:12 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport (6-speed)

Personally I think the number of drivers wanting a manual are getting fairly rare. The e60 in my opinion, is more an executive car. In this demographic, there just aren't many who prefer driving a manual. I'm sure you could order one if you like. I hope BMW doesn't stop offering this option in the future.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:43 AM
Members

Just wondering why there are so few 535i manuals out there?
I can't speak for the rest but my wife said she wanted at least a V-8"***k...I mean stick!!
Old 12-12-2008, 01:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

For me personaly this is my first auto, my wife was astounded when I told her I was getting an auto this time, maybe because im only 35 and I prefer the more sporty kind of driving.

My reasons for buying an auto were as follows......

In my eyes the auto box has come a long way, modern auto boxes actually change gear nicely now lol, plus we now have things such as the sports mode, plus manual selection of gears when the fancy takes us in the same fashion a ferrari 360 used not so many years ago !! Traffic in this country has gone beserk, I spend up to 60% of my time sat in traffic creeping forwards a couple of inches etc, becomes a pain in the backside with a manual, clutch in clutch out, also the huge torque of the 530d and type of car the E60 is lends itself nicely to the auto box, smooth relaxing drive which can still be exciting when the mood takes you, thats my personal take on why an Auto works so well in a car like the E60
Old 12-12-2008, 01:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Not to mention that the Sport Automatic with Paddles is an enthusiasts' auto, a blast to drive. I can't speak for the standard steptronic, but the SAT is butter smooth and lightning quick in sport or manual mode.

Cal
Old 12-12-2008, 01:56 AM
Contributors

Simply put, you get the best of both world with the SAT. manual is great for spirited driving but when it comes to comfort, it's got none.
THe way I see it, the SAT is sporty enough without the use of a manual clutch
Old 12-12-2008, 04:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='743749' date='Dec 12 2008, 10:23 AM
Not to mention that the Sport Automatic with Paddles is an enthusiasts' auto, a blast to drive. I can't speak for the standard steptronic, but the SAT is butter smooth and lightning quick in sport or manual mode.

Cal
Mine is the steptronic, its ok, its no ball of fire, but its more than good enough for when the mood takes you, im certain it will be fine on the track as long as you plan ahead a little.

I will maybe do the paddle shift retrofit I have seen posted around these forums, dunno yet if I can be that arsed tho
Old 12-12-2008, 05:51 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

the SAT rocks, and I needed a car that the wife could also drive... She is very bad on clutches and could not drive my R32 worth a damn. She basically caused me to get 2 new clutches in my E30 , and I used to live in ATL and driving a Manual in ATL traffic sucks..... BAD.... Birmingham has tons of really steep hills....
Old 12-12-2008, 07:04 AM
Members

Originally Posted by sadcaper' post='743613' date='Dec 11 2008, 11:49 PM
Just wondering why there are so few 535i manuals out there? It seems almost all the 535i's out there are the automanual. I would think a "sport sedan" would warrant a 6spd manual most of the time, but it seems most people opt for the auto. Any thoughts why? Is the automanual that nice in this car? Or is the manual that bad? Or is it just the demographic that drives these cars that wants the convenience of the auto?

Just curious...

The six speed manual rarity is not just a 535i issue -- it's applicable to all E60's here in the States.

As others have eloquently said, the market for the manual tranny is a small one.

A lot of auto's have come a long way (especially the Sport Auto) it rocks! That said, there are still those who want nothing but the manual connection with their auto, and I understand that too.

And yes, I used to be an ardent manual transmission owner.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:56 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

Originally Posted by sadcaper' post='743613' date='Dec 12 2008, 12:49 AM

Just curious...
I agree with many of the above posts that the Sport Auto is best of both worlds. On a country road or race track, I'm confident that the sport auto will turn in a better time. The shifting with the paddles is way faster than any manual driver can achieve. As for the "fun" factor of controlling the clutch...its replaced with the fun factor of playing F1 driver complete with downshifts that come with computerized rev-matching. Very cool stuff.

I think that in less than a decade the only cars that will be available with old fashioned manuals will be budget sub compacts due to cost saving factor (but even the smart has an automated manual...) and maybe some commercial trucks.

I'm 34 years old and when I was a teenager dreaming about sports cars the biggest difference was that sports cars like porsches and lamborghinis had manual transmissions while a mercedes had a slush box four speed auto that started out in 2nd gear and had to be pushed to the floor to kick down a gear. Times have changed. Now we demand manuals in sedans (BMW felt compelled to install an old 6 speed in the M5 in 08 due to pressure from American consumers), while all the hard core sports cars have paddle shift automated manuals. Ironic no?

My 2 cents: Driving in our beautiful country (US) can be very lame. Low speeds, poor roads, timid, bad and distracted drivers all add up to a potentially boring commute/ride. So how do we spice up the car and make our vehicles exciting to drive? Many manufacturers have tried to stuff a few hundred extra horsepower under the hood in recent years to make their cars more enticing (But we weren't able to speed in the first place so this power is essentially for bragging rights). Plan B, put a manual transmission in my car to make it more 'involving' to drive (while averaging 30 mph in stop and go traffic....). Also, manuals are the traditional earmark of a truly indulgent sports car toy. Nothing says I have other more practical cars in my garage like a 6 speed Carrera. I was shocked to learn that the majority of european drivers opt for the tiptronic automatic in the 911.

The single clutch manual transmission is due to join the carburetor in the automotive hall of fame at some point in my lifetime. An dats wat I tink.

DRP

Quick Reply: Why so few 535i 6spds?