E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Why I wish I hadn't bought a 525d!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 10:54 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As per multiple posts regarding the resonance problem on my car at 1700rpm to 2000rpm I recieved the following email from BMW UK today. I have excluded the actual names due to possible legal conertations but you get the idea.

Because of this noise, if crusing at 75mph, my car is actually quieter in 5th than it is in 6th. So I find myself putting it in DS mode. Should I have to do this?

Has anyone got the address for BMW AG please...

I feel lots of letters to the motoring press coming on.

Dear Mr x (that's me)

Thank you for your patience while I have obtained information from Mr
Y, BMW Technical Manager.

Mr Y was asked to road test your BMW E60 525d by Supplying dealer
on November 23, 2007. The purpose of this test was to establish if the
engine noise whilst driving @1,700 rpm was a fault of a concept related
noise.

Mr Y test drove your vehicle with Mr Z, Service
Manager Supplying dealer, who had discussed with you the details of the noise and
was aware of the vehicle speed, gear selected and engine speed.

At around 1,700 rpm an air induction noise can be heard. This noise is
related to the air being drawn into the engine through the intake
manifold. Mr Y has confirmed that this noise is a concept and
not a fault and that no further action is required.

Following on from our telephone conversation yesterday, I can confirm
that Mr A, Service Manager at my local dealer would not
have required authorisation from BMW UK to carry out repairs, if a fault
had been diagnosed. Mr Y has discussed this with Mr A, who
advised that the noise was present on other E60 models and that, as it
is a concept of the engine, he would not be able to carry our any
repairs.

I appreciate that this is not the response you were hoping for and I
understand that you continue to believe that there is a fault with your
vehicle. Mr Y is fully qualified to assess a vehicle for
possible faults and his diagnosis is the official position of BMW UK in
relation to a case.

Mr Y's final diagnosis is, that at the time of testing, your
vehicle does meet the manufacturers specification and that there is no
fault present.

Yours sincerely

BMW Group UK
Miss B
Customer Service Executive
Ellesfield Avenue
Bracknell RG12 8TA
Tel: 0870 5050160
Fax: 0870 5050205
Mail: customer.service@bmw.co.uk
URL: www.bmw.co.uk
Old 12-06-2007, 12:25 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 525d MSport' post='503602' date='Dec 6 2007, 07:54 PM
As per multiple posts regarding the resonance problem on my car at 1700rpm to 2000rpm I recieved the following email from BMW UK today. I have excluded the actual names due to possible legal conertations but you get the idea.
Ever thought that BMW are right? All cars have some resonance that is particular to that individual build. Indeed, it may well change over time as parts loosen/wear etc. Trouble is it's amazing what has been done with modern diesel's but there's still a physical limitation on these matters.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 550i 2007 M-Kit installed- 367 BHP Sapphire black, comfort seats, comfort access, HUD, Professional Nav, Logic 7.

Have you been experiencing this noise ever since you bought your car???
Old 12-06-2007, 11:38 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by colejl' post='503648' date='Dec 6 2007, 11:25 PM
Ever thought that BMW are right? All cars have some resonance that is particular to that individual build. Indeed, it may well change over time as parts loosen/wear etc. Trouble is it's amazing what has been done with modern diesel's but there's still a physical limitation on these matters.
Yes I have. I have road tested another 525d and this was quieter than my car. Why should this be so?

In any event, the noise is not pleasant and doesn't exist on my wife's 330d.

I will bring it to you so you can drive it if you like and you can tell me what you think. I will send a PM. I am not far from Essex.

Regards,
Old 12-06-2007, 11:39 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by wees75' post='503667' date='Dec 7 2007, 12:00 AM
Have you been experiencing this noise ever since you bought your car???
I first noticed it 3 days after taking delivery.

Regards,
Old 12-07-2007, 10:08 AM
rjc
Members

My Ride: Oct 2007: 525d SE Auto, Space Grey, Black Leather, Visibility Pack, Luxury Pack, Media Pack, Rear Air Bags, Space Saver Spare, Comfort Access, Auto Dim mirror + Ext folding, Through Load System, All round heated seats, Extended interior light pack, DAB, Logic 7, USB Interface and HUD.

Had my 525d SE Auto almost a month now, with around 1600 miles on it, it was built late October.

Having read this thread, and the previous ones, I have been keeping an ear out. Since new, there is a change in engine note around 1700/2000 mark - but I would not say it is loud. As you progress through it the "gruffness" of the note goes away.

I have to admit, if I had not read about it I would not have picked it up. Compared to my old Vovlo S60 D5 the BMW is virtually silent!

Would you say you would have to raise your voice over the noise/turn up the audio to mask it? There arn't any loose engine cover bolts or items which could resonate and amplify the noise? If it is induction noise, perhaps a change of air filter would do the trick?

Depending on where you are in the UK, happy to go for a spin in mine for comparison. You say you are close to Essex, I'm around Cambridge/Huntingdon - send me a PM if this would be of help.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:45 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rjc' post='504080' date='Dec 7 2007, 09:08 PM
Had my 525d SE Auto almost a month now, with around 1600 miles on it, it was built late October.

Having read this thread, and the previous ones, I have been keeping an ear out. Since new, there is a change in engine note around 1700/2000 mark - but I would not say it is loud. As you progress through it the "gruffness" of the note goes away.

I have to admit, if I had not read about it I would not have picked it up. Compared to my old Vovlo S60 D5 the BMW is virtually silent!

Would you say you would have to raise your voice over the noise/turn up the audio to mask it? There arn't any loose engine cover bolts or items which could resonate and amplify the noise? If it is induction noise, perhaps a change of air filter would do the trick?

Depending on where you are in the UK, happy to go for a spin in mine for comparison. You say you are close to Essex, I'm around Cambridge/Huntingdon - send me a PM if this would be of help.
Hi, it could be that I am too fussy. Certainly what you describe is when it occurs.

I got a second opinion today from a petrol head friend of mine who thinks that although it is there, I am over reacting.

I will PM you as I am closer than you might think!

Just as aside, I asked BMW to explain why it is quieter in 5th and they said that Mr Y did not drive your vehicle faster than the 70 miles per hour speed limit imposed by the law however, during the test drive he did not detect any faults with your vehicle.

Silly me.

Regards,
Old 12-07-2007, 10:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Sport, carbon black, media pack, visibility pack, grey leather, heated seats, sun protection glass, voice control, Eibach ProKit, 19" 166 style wheels, e-maps ECU remap to 325hp and 640NM, top speed limiter removed

BMW AG address will get you nowhere, as BMW UK is fully independent.
All HQ in Germany will do, is re-direct you to BMW UK
Old 12-08-2007, 12:26 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by rjc' post='504080' date='Dec 7 2007, 07:08 PM
That's the trouble. Because the engine is so refined (for a diesel ) any resonance and harmonics are magnified. It would appear the engine has some natural resonance issues around the 1,700 and/or 2,000 rpm mark and each build will respond differently. The 'good old days' of serious clatter and rattle hid all other issues!

I wonder if an engine remap would help? It's quite possible the factory tuning (for emission reasons sometimes) is affecting matters?
Old 12-08-2007, 01:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Actually, the noise level from the 2.5 lit diesel has also been mentioned by the German Magazine auto, motor und sport. When testing the 325d (first car with the new engine) they complained that around 2000 rpm there was an "unpleasant noise" and they concluded that the engine wasn't one of BMW's best. What's interesting is that the 3.0d hasn't this noise at all, baring in mind that the main part of the engine i the same. But apparantly there are so many changes that the two engines are more different than I first thought...?

Quick Reply: Why I wish I hadn't bought a 525d!