E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Why are European cars better than America?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006 | 09:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

I think the only real statement is why Japanese cars are more reliable than any other country's cars. Otherwise this thread is a deadend.
Old 12-28-2006 | 09:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

Originally Posted by dlevi67' post='371384' date='Dec 27 2006, 05:52 AM
Yes, I do.

Quality of construction is one thing, quality of engineering and design quite another. And I'm far from convinced that a BMW built in Spartanburg is intrinsically less well built than one coming out of Johannesburg or Dingolfing.
X5 (spartanburg) owner here saying location may be a factor. I have owned 3, 5, 7 and X5. Seems like the parts manufactured here in the U.S. to BMW specs are the culprit. The windshield pits much quicker on the X5 than on 7 or 3 (despite slightly lower average highway speeds in the X5). Interior trim far less resistant to wear. I took a tour of Spartanburg. All of the important items (engine, transmission, suspension subframes) come pre-assembled from Europe. Its a German chassis with an American body. Even the paint job seems of a lower quality (which is not to say low, just lower).

Regards, Happy New Year
DRP
Old 12-28-2006 | 10:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by 550isport' post='371821' date='Dec 28 2006, 06:50 PM
X5 (spartanburg) owner here saying location may be a factor. I have owned 3, 5, 7 and X5. Seems like the parts manufactured here in the U.S. to BMW specs are the culprit. The windshield pits much quicker on the X5 than on 7 or 3 (despite slightly lower average highway speeds in the X5). Interior trim far less resistant to wear. I took a tour of Spartanburg. All of the important items (engine, transmission, suspension subframes) come pre-assembled from Europe. Its a German chassis with an American body. Even the paint job seems of a lower quality (which is not to say low, just lower).

Regards, Happy New Year
DRP
I'm wondering if windscreen rake has more to do with the pitting than the intrinsic quality of the materials; I've had (through replacement) St Gobain (OEM), Triplex and Pilkington windscreens on an E39, and I can't say I noticed significantly different resistance to pits/scratches. I'm puzzled about the interior trim and paint, especially since the quality on those can be measured objectively and should therefore be easy enough to get to a given standard.

The assembly-by-module is a common technique; many manufacturers (including Japanese ones) use it.
Old 12-28-2006 | 02:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Manufacturing is tough in the US because the cost of living is very high so its difficult for American car companies to find workers in the needed pay scale. Unions are a symptom of this and continue to create financial problems for the US car companies.
European cars have been built in their native countries for many years, this means the bugs have been worked out of the manufacturing process. BMW opened in South Carolina not that long ago so there are things to be worked out and thus quality would suffer no matter where the plant is built.
The US is the leader in computer, medical, aerospace and military equipment and has a GDP of $13 trillion. Nobody touches Microsoft for software and there aren't even non-US competitors to Intel and AMD for microprocessors. All this and we are only 200 years old.
We chose to do what we do best and have the money to buy whatever we want from anyone we want.
I think its bullshit concerning the statement that BMW buys inferior parts from the US. BMW has a specification sheet for each part, if the parts didn't match the specs then BMW would not buy them. If parts fail BMW needs to upgrade the specifications.
The US did not ask BMW or the others to build cars here, they did it to avoid tariffs and taxes on imported cars.
My personal experience does not show european cars are any better that US cars in fact with my cars they have been worse.
BMW
1997 E39 50,000 miles- Major Repairs include water pump, steering rack, valve seals, window relays, brakes.
2002 E39 24,000 miles- Major Repairs none
2004 E60 33,000 miles- Major Repairs include replace transmission, TCU, wheels, tires, numerous dynamic drive, active steering faults.
Jeep
1999 Cherokee 50,000 miles - Major Repairs none
2003 Grand Cherokee 36,000 miles- Major Repairs none
2006 Commander- 8,000 miles- Major Repairs none
Old 12-28-2006 | 02:37 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='371902' date='Dec 28 2006, 11:09 PM
Manufacturing is tough in the US because the cost of living is very high so its difficult for American car companies to find workers in the needed pay scale. Unions are a symptom of this and continue to create financial problems for the US car companies.
European cars have been built in their native countries for many years, this means the bugs have been worked out of the manufacturing process. BMW opened in South Carolina not that long ago so there are things to be worked out and thus quality would suffer no matter where the plant is built.
The US is the leader in computer, medical, aerospace and military equipment and has a GDP of $13 trillion. Nobody touches Microsoft for software and there aren't even non-US competitors to Intel and AMD for microprocessors. All this and we are only 200 years old.
Well, I'm not sure I subscribe to this point of view entirely.

1. Most (all) of the manufacturing infrastructure, and much of the agricultural one the world currently uses has been set up in the last 150-200 years. Since a little thing known as the Industrial Revolution started in the late 18th century. The stuff that existed before has either disappeared or is now known as craftsmanship rather than industry.

Coincidentally (or not?) the USA was born around the same period. But it's not as if the US has had to pick up a significant lag from other countries in setting up a manufacturing base, differently from India or China. It's been there (in the lead or near it) from the start.

2. European cars have been built in Europe for approximately the same length of time that American cars have been built in the US for the exact same reason: Ford is about 100 years old, and so are Mercedes-Benz and Fiat (to name two that have survived that long, though relative quality is a little different...).

3. The cost of manufacturing - and specifically the labour component - is probably higher in Germany than in the US. If anything because of the very generous welfare and healthcare system, which is paid for primarily through taxation (payroll taxes + income tax). And the cost of living is definitely considerably higher in Western Europe than in the US - even without the recent weak dollar.
Old 12-28-2006 | 04:21 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dlevi67' post='371912' date='Dec 28 2006, 06:37 PM
3. The cost of manufacturing - and specifically the labour component - is probably higher in Germany than in the US. If anything because of the very generous welfare and healthcare system, which is paid for primarily through taxation (payroll taxes + income tax). And the cost of living is definitely considerably higher in Western Europe than in the US - even without the recent weak dollar.
I did a google search and found a number of sites stating that US auto manufacturing jobs costs manufacturers $65 per hour ($23 hrly plus $42 in current and legacy benefits). This seems ridiculolus but was stated for GM and Delphi. Whats the costs in Germany?
By the way thanks for not flaming me, I did get a little patriotic up there.
Old 12-28-2006 | 07:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by 550isport' post='369534' date='Dec 20 2006, 11:15 AM
This iss an odd post (as I sit here on hold long-distance). This morning a friend and I were talking about the new SRT cars and how, despite their objective strenghts, the ones we have sampled (300, Cherokee and Charger) remain pretty American in terms of the feel behind the wheel. I told him about my experience this past Thanksgiving weekend when I had reserved an Audi rental but there were none available and they gave me a 2006 Corvette convertible w/6 speed auto and paddles on the wheel instead. My wife was scared to death of riding in the thing. BTW my wife drives our X5 and she really is a smooth and fast driver by any measure. She learned to drive in Sao Paulo Brazil. So, a day later we got a call from Hertz that the Audi A4 cabrio we reserved was back in and we returned the vette immediately. Going from the vette to the Audi was like ditching a warm water bottle off your bike for an ice cold Coke in a frosty glass bottle. What a relief. So in my book, power alone only does so much to make a car fun. But lets get back to the original question...why is it that the euros build cars (even their economy cars) that have that certain feeling that even Corvettes and SRTs arguably lack?

My friend had an interesting answer this morning. He suggested that European society generally accepts the reality of high speed automotive travel. Thus their engineers plan on it and their cars are accordingly designed to accomodate sustained high speed travel (over say 90 mph). So he argued, precision is necessary to get engines, brakes, suspensions etc... to safely function at higher speeds. In essence, he is asserting that this precision gives rise to a feeling of superior build quality and ride quality in euro cars but is in fact merely a necessary byproduct of their ability to maintain higher average speeds.

I never though of it that way. I just assumed American cars were cheap and the design budgets were very small. Maybe its a little of both?

Any thoughts on this topic??
The Untenable Power of the US Unions
Old 12-28-2006 | 07:36 PM
Members

My Ride: 06 530xi Silver Grey / Black Leather

Marshall Plan?
Old 12-29-2006 | 04:41 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='371929' date='Dec 29 2006, 01:21 AM
I did a google search and found a number of sites stating that US auto manufacturing jobs costs manufacturers $65 per hour ($23 hrly plus $42 in current and legacy benefits). This seems ridiculolus but was stated for GM and Delphi. Whats the costs in Germany?
By the way thanks for not flaming me, I did get a little patriotic up there.
Hey - we are having a discussion here, not a competition.

I don't have any direct car manufacturer cost, but I can give you some comparables:

Qualified technician (machine operator etc., with experience) in Germany can make between ?40,000 / 65,000 in salary (according to Hay). To this, add 40% social costs, plus ~10% benefits. Total ?62 / 100k. Divide it by 1700 hours/year (much more vacation, sick leave, lower working hours etc.), you get ?36 / 59 or - at current exchange rates $43 / 71. This is not a senior person, but probably representative of the average.

So, lower in terms of total company cost (except at the top end of the "blue collar" scale) - which is not what I expected; then again, I did not expect benefits to be nearly 200% of salary costs

OTOH, I wonder how much of the $42 for "legacy benefits" actually covers the average worker vs. executives' gold plated schemes...
Old 12-29-2006 | 11:39 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dlevi67' post='372240' date='Dec 30 2006, 01:41 AM
To this, add 40% social costs, plus ~10% benefits......I did not expect benefits to be nearly 200% of salary costs
Is this a schoolboy howler, a typo or me being dim again?

I can't work out the 200%!! Help!!

ABC

Quick Reply: Why are European cars better than America?