E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Why the E60 550i is a dud....

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 08:20 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

Originally Posted by DelVal550i
I know. I know.

Maybe a flywheel, chip, Intake & higher final drive are what the Dr. ordered. Cha Fricking Ching (again).
Once you start down the dark path...

It never ends, you know this!

Until you get a new car, and it starts all over again.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:33 AM
Members

My Ride: 08 550i, 6 Speed Manual w/Sport Pkg, Black RPI Exhaust, Turner 15mm Rear Spacers, 20% Tint

Originally Posted by stoic1
Once you start down the dark path...

It never ends, you know this!

Until you get a new car, and it starts all over again.
So true.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 08 550i, 6 Speed Manual w/Sport Pkg, Black RPI Exhaust, Turner 15mm Rear Spacers, 20% Tint

Originally Posted by bmwdinan5
I COMPLETELY AGREE! I have an '08 550i 6-speed and the first thing I did was purchase the full line of Dinan engine performance mods (intake, chip, exhaust, throttle body) I still feel my Dinan 540 e39 with autospeed-tronic was faster and more invigorating.

And invigorating is what I was looking for from this car.

On another note, how is the feeling when you sift gears. Should it be effortless going though the gear speeds or should it require a little *umf*?
It's been very smooth - My heel & toe goes easy.

Although - when you are flogging it - I'll bet that tranny is twisting in the support bushings - throwing the shift gate out of your normal alignment.... which is a normal thing for our beloved BMW's unless you stiff things up - which can cause vibration and noise.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:39 AM
Members

Well, my $0.02.

Personally, I bought the 550i for a family sedan. I mean, its not a race car. Its a refined sedan with decent performance and handling. If we take it for what it is supposed to be, it fits the bill pretty well. I think anyone who purchased a E60 550i for race performance, was either misinformed, or looking at the wrong cars.

You go on to complain of options added in newer cars. They do this for a reason. If every year every car remained the same, there would be little incentive to replace your car prematurely.

Sounds to me like you should just sell your 550i, (I'm sure someone here would love it!) and move on to something more suited for your requirements.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:48 AM
hmc
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i Sport Pkg, 6MT

I also have similar feeling. It just feels a bit too heavy, not as nimble as I hope, especially on local streets. On highway, its excellent.
It's fast but only when you push it (on streets, again on highway, its effortless).

E60 530 Sport feels much lighter and handles better. I would prefer 530 Sport with 6-speed MT but I got a good deal for mine and its not easy to find a 530 6MT.

So, its not perfect but I can certainly live with it. I still enjoy it.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:49 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tachyon
I made the jump from a 550i to the M5 one year ago and my only complaint is that I was an idiot for not doing it sooner.

I think you get so much more bang for your buck buying a used M5 versus modding the 550i. And the gas mileage issue is a weak argument - you already are driving a $70,000 machine and so the extra $75 per month on gasoline is a rounding error.

Go get the M3 or M5.
+1

When we had our daughter, we traded our 330 in for an MDX. I was getting around 17-18 MPG so when we traded in the SUV for the 550, my family members were questioning us about the MPG issue with the V8. My answer was since I was getting only 17 MPG with the old car, it makes no difference to me now whatever MPG I'm getting now. If I have to be so concern with the MPG then I shouldn't be driving a German car in the first place. Maintenance alone will cost much more than a Japanese car already. And yes both my wife and I are still in love with our 550 even though it is an older than an '08 model.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

heres u: oooh boohoo i bought a family sedan, but i want a sports car car, that gets amazing gas milage..

this thread requires EPIC DERP

Why the E60 550i is a dud....-126655766930.jpg
Old 06-18-2010, 08:59 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by hmc
I also have similar feeling. It just feels a bit too heavy, not as nimble as I hope, especially on local streets. On highway, its excellent.
It's fast but only when you push it (on streets, again on highway, its effortless).

E60 530 Sport feels much lighter and handles better. I would prefer 530 Sport with 6-speed MT but I got a good deal for mine and its not easy to find a 530 6MT.

So, its not perfect but I can certainly live with it. I still enjoy it.
you think an e60 530 handles better? You're on drugs.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:15 AM
Members

Originally Posted by rkoenig
Well, my $0.02.

Personally, I bought the 550i for a family sedan. I mean, its not a race car. Its a refined sedan with decent performance and handling. If we take it for what it is supposed to be, it fits the bill pretty well. I think anyone who purchased a E60 550i for race performance, was either misinformed, or looking at the wrong cars.

You go on to complain of options added in newer cars. They do this for a reason. If every year every car remained the same, there would be little incentive to replace your car prematurely.

Sounds to me like you should just sell your 550i, (I'm sure someone here would love it!) and move on to something more suited for your requirements.
A fair comment. My net/net is that BMW did not even leverage old technology in the E60! My 2002 E46 M3 had a "sport button". I understand the final drive ratio and even the bowling ball like fly wheel but why they did not address the lack of a fun factor in this car is (and will continue to be) my greatest disappointment. I did not buy this car to blast around in 24/7 but wow did BMW miss the mark with this car.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:18 AM
Members

Originally Posted by skelevirus
heres u: oooh boohoo i bought a family sedan, but i want a sports car car, that gets amazing gas milage..

this thread requires EPIC DERP

Attachment 107884
This 41 year old does want a true sports sedan that kicks ass & get's great mileage. Trust me, If I did not have a house full of rug rats right now - I would be driving a GT3. So yes Oh BOOOOOO HOOOOOO for me AND I am not very fond of those rodent cats either

Quick Reply: Why the E60 550i is a dud....