E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Why does my Runflat Car have a spare?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 04:56 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

E60'ers,

I thought part of the reason for having run-flat tires on your car is too elimate the weight penalty of the spare tire.

I was looking in my trunk this evening (2004 545i) and pulled up the mat, and sure enough, there is a compact spare with jack and lug wrench there.

Does everyone else have this in their Run Flat Equipped E60?

I also noticed, I was missing my Safety Triangle in the tool kit. There is a spot for it, but no Triangle.

Has anyone bothered to check to see if they have one. The first aid kit is in there.

I guess I will contact my dealer and let him know it is missing.

Do you think there is any advantage to taking out the spare?

Thanks for any help and answers.

Regards, Mike.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by mehall2' post='195460' date='Nov 8 2005, 08:56 PM
E60'ers,

I thought part of the reason for having run-flat tires on your car is too elimate the weight penalty of the spare tire.

I was looking in my trunk this evening (2004 545i) and pulled up the mat, and sure enough, there is a compact spare with jack and lug wrench there.

I also noticed, I was missing my Safety Triangle in the tool kit. There is a spot for it, but no Triangle.

Has anyone bothered to check to see if they have one. The first aid kit is in there.

Regards, Mike.
I have it all including the removed spare and jack. Check out "Mind Candy" in my sig to get some info on weight savings. You will not gain much by just removing the spare and jack. But, you can do well if you pursue all aesthetically acceptable weight savings possibilities.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

Originally Posted by mehall2' post='195460' date='Nov 8 2005, 07:56 PM
E60'ers,

Regards, Mike.
It is possible for the run flat tire to become damaged to the point to where it is undrivable. You may need it.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:13 PM
Members

U.S. cars don't get the safety triangle.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...safety+triangle

- Sean
Old 11-08-2005, 05:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

Thats hard to believe isn't it. With all the lawyers over here, the lawyer screen on the nav and all other warnings, it is hard to believe they would omit such a cheap safety feature. I guess BMW was worried that someone would get run over while trying to set it out and sue them.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Yup have it.. I took it out along wiht the spare to get .0001 extra mpg LOL
Old 11-08-2005, 08:33 PM
Senior Members

Sometimes I wonder (I mean really wonder) why there is even a need for RF when there is roadside assistance?

I think the same logic that had BMW install OEM RF tires with a donut spare also led the same engineers to design a convenient front-loading in-dash DVD slot for the navigation system, but a hard to reach glove-box CD changer !!!

I use the Nav DVD maybe once (twice??) a year. CD changer? Maybe once or twice a week or month. Sigh.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:44 PM
Senior Members

Roadside assistance sucks, bro. Instead of simply changing a tire and driving off, you wait 5 hours for BMW to come haul your car away on a flatbed to a BMW dealership that's 200 miles away?
Old 11-08-2005, 08:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='195562' date='Nov 8 2005, 09:33 PM
also led the same engineers to design a convenient front-loading in-dash DVD slot for the navigation system, but a hard to reach glove-box CD changer !!!

I use the Nav DVD maybe once (twice??) a year. CD changer? Maybe once or twice a week or month. Sigh.

I was wondering about that the whole time... WHY put the DVD NAV slot in the front? just put it in the rear of the trunk like the E39... Theres no use for it there... mabe for those that want to load a route to memory then load in a DVD MP3 player... but thats kinda useless too... CD Mp3 is more than enough.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Just a guess, maybe the 50/50 weight distribution was factor in too.

Quick Reply: Why does my Runflat Car have a spare?