E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Why Do So Many People Bash The E60?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 05:15 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Jet Black/Black Leather AUTO Sport Package Cold Weather Package Navigation Logic 7 Audio Satellite Radio Fold Down Rear Seats
Smile

I was on some other forums and reading thier posts about the new E60. Why do so many people hate the look and design on the E60?

I mean dont get me wrong I love the older BMW's as well but I thing the design of the new BMW's is awesome!! (Obviously I Bought One ) So many people bash the new 5 and 7 series.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Originally Posted by SinisterJ' date='May 1 2005, 02:15 PM
I was on some other forums and reading thier posts about the new E60.? Why do so many people hate the look and design on the E60?

I mean dont get me wrong I love the older BMW's as well but I thing the design of the new BMW's is awesome!! (Obviously I Bought One? ) So many people bash the new 5 and 7 series.
[snapback]122477[/snapback]
yeah Man U R right but wu carez abot dozz a$$$es

either they have no $$$ for buyin' it or they absolutly know nothing about the new 5er

Good choice, I order it next month2...
Old 05-01-2005, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by SinisterJ' date='May 1 2005, 09:15 AM
I was on some other forums and reading thier posts about the new E60.? Why do so many people hate the look and design on the E60?

I mean dont get me wrong I love the older BMW's as well but I thing the design of the new BMW's is awesome!! (Obviously I Bought One? ) So many people bash the new 5 and 7 series.
Well, I can't speak for the bashers (I loved the car from the first time I saw a photo of it) but there are some theories...

The car's design is certainly radical and ahead of it's time (less radical today than it was when it was first introduced). Usually, those designs look odd early on and begin to grow on you over time. In my opinion, these types of designs don't age as quickly as a design that might appeal to all people right away. The seven series was so radical when it first came out that many people hated it right away (I didn't -- although I think they've given it a much needed freshening this year) and I think the since some of the design cues trickled-down to the five series, many people were close-minded when forming their opinions of the E60.

Another theory, especially pertaining to some posters on "that other board," is that these "haters" are simply looking for a way to justify the fact that the car they currently have (non E60) is better. The word jealous has been used many times to describe these people. They can't stand to hear anything positive about our car and they've already decided (without even driving one, in most cases) that iDrive is hard to use, Active Steering takes away from the driving, SMG is too jerky, the interior is too "plain," etc., etc.

There are probably more theories or categories of people but those two seem to be the most common. There is one person (Gizmo) that I know of that actually went from being a hater to a believer. I believe he pops in here once in a while so he can tell you his story from his personal experiences.

No matter what, you've found the place to hang out, SinisterJ. Don't let the trolls bother you on the other sites. You made a great decision to buy a great car -- now you can enjoy it with the rest of us!
Old 05-01-2005, 07:18 AM
JDN
Contributors

I think you make a good point in mentioning the 7-series, Rudy. Lots of us were looking crosseyed at that one - I didn't condemn it, but certainly was evaluating the pros and cons. Then the E60 pops up on the horizon and the momentum grew for many. Maybe if the E60 had appeared on the scene first, acceptance would have been better.

Incidentally, had mine out with the local track crowd for a few laps yesterday and got many favorable comments, no unfavorable. It was the only E60 that showed.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JDN' date='May 1 2005, 11:18 AM
Maybe if the E60 had appeared on the scene first, acceptance would have been better.
[snapback]122513[/snapback]
Maybe, or maybe not. The first one is always the most shocking and controversial. I think the 7 took most of the criticism which benefitted the E60. If the E60 were first, it might have been doomed from the start by the critics.

How much fun did you have on the track? Give us the details!
Old 05-01-2005, 08:27 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='May 1 2005, 10:26 AM
[quote name='JDN' date='May 1 2005, 11:18 AM']Maybe if the E60 had appeared on the scene first, acceptance would have been better.
[snapback]122513[/snapback]
Maybe, or maybe not. The first one is always the most shocking and controversial. I think the 7 took most of the criticism which benefitted the E60. If the E60 were first, it might have been doomed from the start by the critics.

How much fun did you have on the track? Give us the details!
[snapback]122517[/snapback]
[/quote]
First: This thing could grow into a hobby and an expensive one.
2. Each session lasted for 15 minutes so in a day, that was one hour of extreme abuse for my baby.
3. The better I got, the greater the abuse.
4. Session 4 showed on the tires, moreso than the first three. I had already smelled the other three sessions on the brakes.
5. I put two wheels off the track one time (last run) coming out of a turn. I recovered before I realized I was off. Another (winged Porsche) went off, did a spin down the middle of the track, and back off again. Nice track for that sort of thing, though, since no barriers to collide with.
6. Knowing my propensity for taking risks, I realized that as I got better and better and pushed to the limit, I would . . .
7. The nagging headache that I awoke with this morning caused me to realize how much tension I had been under, so I chose to stay home with Blue Eyes today. She's always put up with whatever keeps me happy.

So, I figure if I quit that folly now I can live with my Hoover-child self better. After all, shredding tires and wearing down brake disks is not what a Hoover Child is about. The alternative would be to either have a separate car set up for the club events or have tires and wheels just for the track events.

I do believe I have it out of my system. I will clean my baby today and promise it never to return to the track again -- I think. For a young blade like you, I highly recommend it. It comes with a good rush.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JDN' date='May 1 2005, 12:27 PM
The alternative would be to either have a separate car set up for the club events or have tires and wheels just for the track events.

I do believe I have it out of my system. I will clean my baby today and promise it never to return to the track again -- I think. For a young blade like you, I highly recommend it. It comes with a good rush.
[snapback]122537[/snapback]
That's why I still have my M3...all I need now is some time.

I've done many track events and schools but never in my own car -- which is nice if you can do it. One thing's for sure, it's never out of my system. It only leaves for a short time but returns with a vengeance!
Old 05-01-2005, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by SinisterJ' date='May 1 2005, 03:15 PM

That other board was probably Rf, the number one board for E60 haters and bashers. That's the board with the most trolls in the internet, AFAIK.
Don't care about those trolls over there. In fact, you might think there are many E60 bashers, but there are waaaaaaaaay more E60 lovers than haters.
You have found this forum here, so just forget about the other one.
If there were so many E60 haters out there the sales numbers would've been going down, but BMW had the best year in their history!
I don't care about those freaks. I also don't care about freakin' journalists who still haet idrive.
I love the E60, and even if the whole world hates it, I'd still be driving it proudly!
Old 05-01-2005, 11:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

Originally Posted by SinisterJ' date='May 1 2005, 06:15 AM

Even many of the other major BMW boards hate the E60. When I was looking for boards a few weeks ago while shopping around I was suprised that there was almost no talk of the E60 on sites like bimmerfest, etc. The people in one board even suggested I choose an Audi over the 545i.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:14 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Merzbow' date='May 1 2005, 02:12 PM
[quote name='SinisterJ' date='May 1 2005, 06:15 AM']I was on some other forums and reading thier posts about the new E60.? Why do so many people hate the look and design on the E60?

Even many of the other major BMW boards hate the E60. When I was looking for boards a few weeks ago while shopping around I was suprised that there was almost no talk of the E60 on sites like bimmerfest, etc. The people in one board even suggested I choose an Audi over the 545i.
[snapback]122585[/snapback]
[/quote]

BMW enthusiasts, like the ones who check these boards, are most likely to hate the new design since it's such a drastic change from the E39.

Quick Reply: Why Do So Many People Bash The E60?