E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Why did bmw stay with dunflops for so long?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 06:35 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am 90 percent sure it was a contractual issue with dunlop tires on the 5er (not sure what other models came with) but why would bmw put dunlops on their cars for 3 years when they are just an AWFUL tire and pretty much everyone agrees.

They were fine and dandy for the first 3/32s of tread but once down to 7/32s they already handled worse than my all season michelin pilots.

I could swing the back end around in the midst of 100 degree weather on a turn with the dunlops and dsc off of course. But even now my michies are down to 4/32s and the temps are in the 30s-with dsc off I CANNOT make the rear end slide one damn bit. Which is great as I dont want this to occur.

Why would bmw put sub-par tires. Even the cobalt ss's were coming with PS2s and a whole slew of other cars with better tires that were way cheaper of a car
Old 11-25-2007, 06:44 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

I think many manufactures double source outside part sources. BMW has been using Bridgestone and Dunlop for their runflat applications and I don't think there are a lot of choicesfor summer only, high performance runflats in the sizes needed.
I think a better question is why doesn't BMW allow the consumers to order the maximum performance tires or option for all weather performance tires.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='498793' date='Nov 25 2007, 10:44 AM
I think many manufactures double source outside part sources. BMW has been using Bridgestone and Dunlop for their runflat applications and I don't think there are a lot of choicesfor summer only, high performance runflats in the sizes needed.
I think a better question is why doesn't BMW allow the consumers to order the maximum performance tires or option for all weather performance tires.
I dont know I am pretty sure virtually every tire maker makes a summer performance runflat. Mich pilot sports, goodyear F1s,pirelli-and whatever else you can think of-correct me if I am wrong.

I think you hit the nail on the head-with sports package you should atleast get a choice of Summer OR all-season. Then specificy if you want the run flat version or not. And choose a better brand. I have not heard as many gripes on the b-stones except they are costly.

If you choose the non-runflats then you should just be forced to purchase the spare set or else include it-but whatever.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:11 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Haven't looked in a while but there were only a few that had 275/35-18 runflats with a "W" or "Y" speed rating. Just did a tirerack search and came up with Dunlop, Bridgestone and Goodyear.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Not only a contract, but I'd bet BMW gets those hideous Dunlops for near-free (let's hope so), in order for Dunlop to brag and say their crap products are featured on THE sport touring sedan. I cannot believe that BMW continued to spec them, after they replaced so many..only to have them fail again. I'll bet that by the third year, Dunlop was paying BMW to change them.

And Bridgstones, from my motorcycle experience, aren't any better. A cheap tire at a BIG markup...just what the dealers love....but defying the maxim that "you get what you pay for."

I'll stick with Michelins, thank you and that's what I am trying to get the Dunlops replaced with this next time around.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:00 PM
Senior Members

I have had my 05 545i for a month now and I really wasn't sure I liked the car until I put my SNOW tires on. The Dunlop SP Sports are crap. The car tramlined horribly, it felt like the car was yanked between lanes on the highway. Not a comfortable feeling at 80 mph. I had an M3 previously that was telapathic when it came to steering. Can't wait until I drive the 545i in the spring with PS2's and finally see how good the sport package is...