E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Why Bangle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 02:40 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 09 - 520d M Sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Black Dakota Leather Sports Seats electric- Auto Climate - Piano Black Bamboo - Antracite Headlining - Business Media Kit - Sat Nav - Bluetooth - CD Changer - Auxillary Port and USB - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Advanced Voice Rec - Auto Dim Mirror - Privacy Glass - 5 Year Service Inclusive Previous -06 - 525 M Sport - Steptronic - Sapphire Black - Black Nappa Leather Sports Seats - Auto Climate - Alluminium Cubed Interior - Anthracite Headliner - Business CD with Auxillary Port - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Bluetooth - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Spare Wheel kit - Advanced Voice Rec

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='235651
Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='235537' date='Feb 6 2006, 12:49 PM
I don't understand why anyone would criticize the design of the E60, period.

It's wicked looking. I loved it the instant I saw it. The previous 5 series design was so tired looking.... even before the E60 came out.

I also loved the 7 series when it came out. The new BMW designs are so fresh. They really add to the brand image, I think.
all I can do is just agree with you BANGLE's E60 RULEZZZZ!
I think the E39 was a much more attractive and livable car. I don't dislike the appearance of the E60, but it has Bangle's lame Flame signature all over it. Most egregious from an owners' practical investment perspective is the complete lack of rubstrips anywhere, but most critically on the sides, where those "flame licks" have left a huge curved surface for every adjacent parker to leave their door's signature on yours. I think this is "artful" arrogance beyond belief, at the expense of the owner.

Second, the visibilty out of this car is terrible, once again, it's art prevailing over function, if not safety. Third, even the hallowed hallmark of BMW design--driver ergonomics--were sacrifaiced on the Bangle altar: the wheel is not properly centered with the dash, and the wheel well intrudes into the driver's footwell so egregiously that I MUST concentrate on positioning my foot EVERYTIME I shift. That's nuts and dangerous for the Ultimate Driving Machine. Maybe they just figure everybody will have automatic or SMG. If that's the case, maybe it's time for me to look elsewhere. This is a SEDAN not a cramped roadster.

Whether it was Bangle or one of his minions, the car has serious design problems. But it's still a BMW in all other respects.
Jeers,
Ray Hull
[/quote]

I agree completely. I think the E39 M Sport looks great and has aged well. Somehow I dont think the E60 will age as well. It took me a couple of years to get used to the design and I am still not sold. Just look at the 2002 7 series and see how badly it has aged?
Old 02-06-2006, 03:12 PM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Originally Posted by mr_grinche' post='235887' date='Feb 7 2006, 12:40 AM
Just look at the 2002 7 series and see how badly it has aged?
Perfectly?
Old 02-06-2006, 04:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

The 2002 7 series is awesome.

The new 750 is almost identical. All they changed was the headlight shape, and the taillight shape. So for all these people who claim the "new" 7 series is a huge improvement..... who are they kidding?
Old 02-06-2006, 07:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2012 535i M Sport Package

Originally Posted by thatbimmerguy' post='235525' date='Feb 6 2006, 06:19 AM
Why do people criticize Bangle for the design of the 5er etc. when he wasn't even the designer....wasn't it Adrian van Hooydonk that designed the car? I thought Bangle only picked his design out of the others, but wasn't in fact actually involved much in the actual design...or have I read something wrong
Very intersting...I never understood that either
Check this out...over 13,000 signed a petition to BMW. Petition
Old 02-07-2006, 03:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 - 520d M Sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Black Dakota Leather Sports Seats electric- Auto Climate - Piano Black Bamboo - Antracite Headlining - Business Media Kit - Sat Nav - Bluetooth - CD Changer - Auxillary Port and USB - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Advanced Voice Rec - Auto Dim Mirror - Privacy Glass - 5 Year Service Inclusive Previous -06 - 525 M Sport - Steptronic - Sapphire Black - Black Nappa Leather Sports Seats - Auto Climate - Alluminium Cubed Interior - Anthracite Headliner - Business CD with Auxillary Port - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Bluetooth - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Spare Wheel kit - Advanced Voice Rec

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='235943' date='Feb 7 2006, 01:54 AM

The new 750 is almost identical. All they changed was the headlight shape, and the taillight shape. So for all these people who claim the "new" 7 series is a huge improvement..... who are they kidding?

The 7 Series is absolutly hideous looking and an absolute sales disaster worldwide. Thats why you can get 20% discounts on them from new and as far as depreciation is concerned I know traders offering 30% of new car residual for 02 new shape models. To top that off they cant sell them second hand.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Usually the best looking cars are that much futuristic,
that do not "open" to you at once.

But BMW is such a strong trendsetter, that once again
the Japs have copied the looks of the E60.

I just hate copycats - they are the lowlifes of all designing.

Even if I might get disagreements, I must say what I
love the looks of the 4 door M-B CLS.
But the car has a lot of technical problems and is highly
unpractical.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:24 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='237037' date='Feb 8 2006, 07:54 PM

I would normally agree but in recent years BMW has taken queues from other makers. The e60 is no exception and I would disagree that Toyota took the look from BMW. I find it hard to believe that either stole the look from the other since the time to market was too close but in the case of the lights, Toyota came to market first. The rear of the Z4 was a rip off and even some of the side surfacing on the Z4 reminds me of the Mercury cougar. One element I don't like on ANY of the newer BMWs is the hood. It's worst on the Z4 and looks best (but still not good) on the e60. The grill should be part of the hood to keep the lines clean. On the Z4 it looks like someone hacked the hood. And I don't really care of the horned rimmed glasses of the e60 but I can live with it. Over all I like the e60 but it's a good thing taken a little too far.

The interior of the recent BMWs has been my biggest disappointment. And it's taken me a while to want to give up my e39 for a newer BMW. Twice over the last couple of years I walked into a dealership to take a closer look at the e60 after having come to grips with the exterior look only to be turned off by the lack of ergonomics on the inside. It's horrible. Only the new 7 is worse with the new 3 a close second. But they still drive like a BMW and for that I'm glad. I took a hard look at MB and Audi. Lexus isn't even in the same class. MB has had too many quality issues and isn't as sporty as the BMW. Audi is looking too much like a VW and it's rather bland. The Lexus? Lets just say that I'm not looking for a Toyota, I'm not impressed with the quality, and I'm not in the market for white leather shoes with matching belt and a retirement home or interested in bling (think new Caddy). When I took a look around I came to the conclusion that even with its issues, the e60 is still the best option for me.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:56 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='237037' date='Feb 9 2006, 12:54 AM
Usually the best looking cars are that much futuristic,
that do not "open" to you at once.

Even if I might get disagreements, I must say what I
love the looks of the 4 door M-B CLS.
But the car has a lot of technical problems and is highly
unpractical.

I gotta agree with you about the CLS. I drive a 350AMG last week end and was well impressed. Only problem is its a 2 x 2 so I would have to leave one of my kids behind if I bought one. Also headroom in the back is non existant and trunk space awful
Old 02-09-2006, 09:20 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by E60Speed' post='235734' date='Feb 6 2006, 12:59 PM
Actually the E60 Exterior was designed by Davide Arcangeli.

He has unfortunately passed away, thus the facelift was by another designer.

For those interested these are some of the exterior designers for different models

E39 : Joji Nagashima ( 5 Series )
E90 : Joji Nagashima ( 3 Series )

E65 : Adrian van Hooydonk ( 7 Series )
E63 : Adrian van Hooydonk ( 6 Series )

E87: Chris Chapman ( 1 Series )

You are correct. And if I am not mistaken, I think Davide never got to see the finished product...I think we discussed this in 2004 and paid our respects to the one who penned the E60.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:10 AM
Members

Originally Posted by mr_grinche' post='236469

The 7 Series is absolutly hideous looking and an absolute sales disaster worldwide. Thats why you can get 20% discounts on them from new and as far as depreciation is concerned I know traders offering 30% of new car residual for 02 new shape models. To top that off they cant sell them second hand.
[/quote]

Actually I've read that this 7 Series has been the most successful ever, even outselling the S-Class for like the first time ever

BTW I read in the BMW Aus magazine that van Hooydonk designed the E90?

Quick Reply: Why Bangle?