E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

WHy is the 335i so much more loaded than the 535

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 02:24 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just looking at building a 335 on bmw website and the 335 has so many more features built into the base price than the 535. For example the sport suspension is alread built into the base price of the 335 coupe. The sport package only costs 1100 bucks which is simply to get the upgraded rims with 18s and a sport stearing wheel v. sport package is 3800 on the 535 to get all the suspension and rims.

The 335 has logic 7 as their base stereo and the 5er does not-it is another 1600 bucks.

I know there were a couple more things but even those 2 things. Having the sport suspension and logic 7 in the base price-whats up with that. Usually its the higher end models that have more features included.

I dont like that about bmw how they put better standard features in a base model
Old 11-11-2007, 02:47 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

First, the difference in base price between the 335i and 535i is less than $8,000. The steptronic tranny will cost a 335i buyer an additional $1,300, its included in the 535i. The remaining difference is what you would pay for a mid-size BMW compared to a compact model.

You can't compare the sport suspensions between the two, the 5 series upgrade is far better (ARS, 12-way adjustable seats, sport steering wheel). You pay more, but you get more.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by redwhiteblue' post='492848' date='Nov 11 2007, 06:24 AM
I was just looking at building a 335 on bmw website and the 335 has so many more features built into the base price than the 535. For example the sport suspension is alread built into the base price of the 335 coupe. The sport package only costs 1100 bucks which is simply to get the upgraded rims with 18s and a sport stearing wheel v. sport package is 3800 on the 535 to get all the suspension and rims.

The 335 has logic 7 as their base stereo and the 5er does not-it is another 1600 bucks.

I know there were a couple more things but even those 2 things. Having the sport suspension and logic 7 in the base price-whats up with that. Usually its the higher end models that have more features included.

I dont like that about bmw how they put better standard features in a base model
I think it also has to do with the competition, market segment, and expected buyer. A 335i coupe buyer would always want the sport suspension and a logic 7 stereo. Plus the car has strong competion with the G37, etc. It is also the top of the line 3. A 535i buyer on the other hand may be looking for just a luxury car and not want some features. Plus the 535i is only the mid pack 5er, too many standards and it would seem even higher priced than it is.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

They are are different price points with different market forces at work. BMW is in the business to sell cars. Part of the equation is to price both the car and the options properly.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by Richard in NC' post='492862' date='Nov 11 2007, 05:26 AM
I think it also has to do with the competition, market segment, and expected buyer. A 335i coupe buyer would always want the sport suspension and a logic 7 stereo. Plus the car has strong competion with the G37, etc. It is also the top of the line 3. A 535i buyer on the other hand may be looking for just a luxury car and not want some features. Plus the 535i is only the mid pack 5er, too many standards and it would seem even higher priced than it is.

+1 It's really all about the market segment that the car is aimed at and the preferences of that market segment. 3 series would tend to be purchsed by the younger, single crowd, so things like high quality tunes and sporty feel are of prime importance to that segment.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:33 AM
Senior Members

BMW could add the Logic7 and other options into the 535i but it would then have to increase the base price.

Right now, with the LCI, BMW has done a lot to differentiate the 5er's interior from the 3er (which pre-LCI was fairly similar but post-LCI is more luxurious with more leather and other touches having been added).

Based on how both models are selling, I think BMW is on the right track.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Yup, as said its all about marketing management... take a marketing class and you'll understand why BMW does what they do... relative to the competition and relative to their own product line. They have to price them where they dont step on their own toes and are competitive in the market. BMW prices the 335 a bit higher than Infiniti's G37 because they think they can. BMW's positioning is higher in the market than others in the same segment... has more Brand Equity than the others... sooo you pay what BMW thinks they can charge you.

Take a look at this... I know its old but I havent been able to find a newer list. but Infinti or Nissan is no where in the top 50 global brands. I believe the couple brands in the Tier 1 category for luxury cars is BMW Mercedes and Lexus... Infiniti is a Tier 2 brand... they'll love to move into the Tier 1 category but just not yet... just some stuff to show why pricing is the way it is...

WHy is the 335i so much more loaded than the 535-brand.jpg
Old 11-11-2007, 10:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Eh... here's the rest of the list... I'm sure some would like to see the rest of it.

WHy is the 335i so much more loaded than the 535-b2.jpg
Old 11-11-2007, 10:22 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by redwhiteblue' post='492848' date='Nov 11 2007, 06:24 AM

You have to understand marketing a bit to understand whats happening here. Being a marketing major i'll chime in on whats possibly occuring here. As I think someone has already mentioned, Target markets is a key here. 1 is a sports car the other is a sedan. The sports car market competition is stepping it up like some one said the g37's ect ect.. so in order for bmw to remain dominant and keep the market share I believe is why they strategicaly standerdize features in to the 335i not too loose sales to competition. It is not to give those buying a 535i less simply because those buying a 535i are not in the sports car market anyway so they figure people wont compare the 2 and vice versa. if some one does want performance or options out of a sedan BMW strategically has many options to add or other produc lines like the 550 and the M to satisfy the needs of that customer. so you cant really compare or be upset at why the 3 is more loaded out of the box it wasn't intended to be compared to the 5 series but to be compared more with other sport coupes in its direct competition. As the market changes in each class the competition makes adjustments.. thats what having a "competitive advantage" is about and certainly companies always try to have that because it means millions if not billions to them.. but in the end it just makes things better for us because that means that the competition improves quality and standard equipment to get us to buy and in return we get the most for our money. I hope i did an OK job explaining. after all im just a 24 year old kid about to grad college in 28 days.. hehe I guess you still learn stuff in school these days... later
Old 11-11-2007, 10:29 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by trboda6' post='492941' date='Nov 11 2007, 11:22 AM
I hope i did an OK job explaining. after all im just a 24 year old kid about to grad college in 28 days.. hehe I guess you still learn stuff in school these days... later

Not bad kid... I'm just kidding!!!

Quick Reply: WHy is the 335i so much more loaded than the 535