E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Who's Right?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 08:41 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi everybody,

I just bought a 04 545i slightly used. 5000k the car has the phone adapter in the armrest console. but uh-oh - no phone. When I negotiated with the dealer, it the phone was one of the selling points, the phone was not in the car but he (sales rep) said they would find it. after many phone calls back to the dealer, they have come back with this Gem. "well the previous owner, kept the phone so your just going to have to go get one yourself" they continued with " oh and he had that phone installed after he bought it from us so it's realy not part of the package that you bought....." hmmm, realy! Now i'm mad.

I've figured out from talking to a few people, that it's supposed to be a Motoral V60. Is it an off the shelf V60 or is it specific to the application in the 545i. any BMW logo or anything?

I've told the sales rep, that there's no way I'm paying for the phone. He says The GM of the dealership says no. I said, I'll be there on wednesday at Noon, I'll speek directly with the GM.

I know the phone is probably only worth a couple hundred bucks, but. It's the principal now. After spending all that Dough on this little puppy, It feels pretty crappy when they try to stick ya on little things..

Further, Just to set my mind at ease, (kindoff questioning anything this salesrep told me now) the car has the runflat tires. is it true when you have Runflats - that there is no Spare tire included. Cause that's what he said.... and I don't have one.....

What do you think, Am I right or wrong in getting pushy on the phone issue?
and Should There have been a Spare in the car?

Thanks
Newtoys...
Old 09-21-2004, 08:54 AM
Members

Look if the phone was part of the negotiations, then they should definitely provide it. It would be a breach of contract if they didn't. The fact that it was one of the selling points means that they should honor that agreement.

As you said, it's the principal of the matter.

Can't help you about the spare though, different country, different specs. Mine came with a darn space saver. <_<
Old 09-21-2004, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

If playing hard ball with the phone gets you nowhere, you should be able to get a v60 for pennies (maybe even a new one).

Since the previous owner had the phone already setup in the software, you'll likely have everything working as soon as you plug in a phone. Normally, you'd have to pay to have the eject box installed and then you'd have to pay to have the software updated, etc.

There are many people using generic v60 phones (not the BMW one) and they seem to be having no more problems with them than I'm having with my BMW phone.

As far as the spare tire, my 545 came with run-flats and a spare. I think the 530/525 cars may not have the spare included but I'm not sure...

Welcome and good luck!
Old 09-21-2004, 09:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

I believe all E60 have a spare, though like most car companies, BMW has gone to the temporary "donut" tire as opposed to a full sized spare.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:58 AM
Members

Mines a 530D with runflats AND NO spare!
Old 09-21-2004, 10:20 AM
Senior Members

whihr: But you're not in the US.

Additionally, I have a feeling that this is an issue that has been varying over both time and location. E.g. - on Norwegian E60s the spare wasn't included for the first months of production, until BMW discovered that there are no runflat, studded winter tyres available (studded winter tyres are very common over here), and that people would have to have a spare wheel available for winter driving.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3

whihr, sorry about that, typical shortsighted American. I should have noted that I was in the US and was talking about US spec cars, which is where I assumed newtoys is.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:37 AM
Members

The "BMW" V60 phone is the generic motorola phone but it does have the BMW logo inside and outside and it does plug into the cradle. I do not know if the generic V60 can be easily changed to include this special plug but the plug is different on the generic.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard, Newtoys!
Attached Images  
Old 09-21-2004, 12:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 528i

First, Welcome Aboard!

Second, I have the BMW CPT9000 phone which is a Motorola V60i. I got mine on Ebay for less than half the dealer price. After installation and re-programming by the dealer I plugged my V60s (basically the same phone with a color screen) into the eject box and the phone book downloaded perfectly. Since the BMW phone is set up for my number I am using that one, but as far as I can see a generic V60i or V60s should work. My phone is a TDMA with AT&T.

Good luck and enjoy the car.