E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

White film on bumber from exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 08:22 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted a few days ago about seeing exhaust for a really long time even after the car had been running for 25 mins and it was 65 dregrees outside. I dont really smell anything and the smoke is white.

Today I just noticed something strange. There is a film all over the back bumper. It wipes off and is light colored like a white/gray. It looks like it is from the exhaust vapors by the pattern. It is a splat pattern like if you threw paint all over the bumper. Does that give any one any futher indication of what the issue could be?

Also I noticed that I really only see the exhaust when I am stopped at a light or parked, not so much while driving
Old 12-12-2008, 08:36 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by 545insc' post='744329' date='Dec 13 2008, 12:22 AM
I posted a few days ago about seeing exhaust for a really long time even after the car had been running for 25 mins and it was 65 dregrees outside. I dont really smell anything and the smoke is white.

Today I just noticed something strange. There is a film all over the back bumper. It wipes off and is light colored like a white/gray. It looks like it is from the exhaust vapors by the pattern. It is a splat pattern like if you threw paint all over the bumper. Does that give any one any futher indication of what the issue could be?

Also I noticed that I really only see the exhaust when I am stopped at a light or parked, not so much while driving
I think you have the start of a coolant leak ... getting into the combustion chambers and burning off as white smoke. While some condensation (white smoke) is normal after a start on cold damp days, after warming up (unless it is very very cold) you should not see a lot of white smoke. And another dead tip off is the accumulation of a film building up on the rear of the car.

Check your coolant levels and have your engine and cooling system checked by an experienced mechanic with the proper equipment - these issues do not cure themselves nor are they healed by additives like stop leak etc!! BTW, BMWs use filters in the cooling system water lines - don't dump in any of that radiator cure stuff or you'll be asking for trouble!