E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Whistling sound when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 04:34 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i - no mods. Pretty basic really. I mean it has tires, windows, and a sweet look, what more could a man want? Honestly, I'd like to improve the sound system mildly, and possibly find a worthy engine mod that would increase my BHP by 100 without giving an arm and a leg for. I don't think it's out there, so I'll stay stock and love driving my 530i.

Hi all, I have a 2004 530i and I get a high pitched whistling sound when I accelerate. It can only be heard when the windows are down, and only when I accelerate. For example if I'm at a stop and apply throttle to go I'll hear the sound. It appears to be coming from intake - the obvious. The whistle will remain persistent until I hit a normal cruising speed, and will resume if I need to accelerate more until the desired cruising speed is reached. It's kind of annoying and was wondering if anyone knew what could cause this problem. I did a search and came up with various hits, none really described the symptoms I'm having. What do you all think?

Best,
-Jay
Old 05-04-2008, 01:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i - no mods. Pretty basic really. I mean it has tires, windows, and a sweet look, what more could a man want? Honestly, I'd like to improve the sound system mildly, and possibly find a worthy engine mod that would increase my BHP by 100 without giving an arm and a leg for. I don't think it's out there, so I'll stay stock and love driving my 530i.

Also worth mentioning. Today sitting in the driveway with the car running I was revving up the engine to 2K to 3.5K and I didn't hear a thing... Weird.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:21 AM
Contributors

i think its normal.i have it in my car and in my friends 630i. its just how the bimmer sounds like. i find it rather sexy. i wish i can increase that sound. heard headers should do the job
Old 05-05-2008, 04:22 AM
ObD
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i 6MT

Check the cold air intake box. It may have a hole in the plumbing, problem with the air cleaner, or it isn't seated properly.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:24 PM
Contributors

Thanks guys, I'll take a look at some of the hoses - see if there's any dry rot or cracking. I've checked the Air Intake a few times, but I can't say for sure it's actually seated correctly.

Anyone else have some suggestions?
Old 05-06-2008, 12:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY2004 530d. Poverty spec

If the 530i was turbocharged, I'd say it was the turbo. Sounds exactly like a turbo, down to the not-doing-it-on-your-drive-revving thing. Turbo's can spin at around 100000rpm, so whistle quite nicely.

You've not accidentally swapped your car for a 535i have you?
Old 05-06-2008, 12:41 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 530d SE. Media Package, Sight and Light Package, Front and Rear Park Sensors, Active Steering, Dynamic Drive, Power Folding Dimming Mirrors, Active Cruise Control, Logic 7, Sunroof, Sports Steering Wheel, Advanced Aircon, Comfort Seats, Heated Seats, Oscillating Seats, Air Cooled Seats, Electril Rear Blind, Rear Heated Seats.... probably more that I have forgot! :p

Yip sounds like a turbo to me, its normal and sounds cool
Old 05-06-2008, 02:57 AM
Contributors

how come i have that sound on my 520, 2.2L I6 and my friend's 630i 3.0L I6

We both have it, i think its the sound of the exhaust.its just the way it is. NO???? My friend increased that sound by adding headers on his 630i
Old 05-06-2008, 06:59 AM
Contributors

I don't believe the car has a turbo - I mean it's just a 2004 with a early build date of October. I suppose another way of describing the noise would be like that of squeaky brakes, but only happens when I'm on the go. If it's normal I'm fine with it, but if it's not then obviously I'd like to address it.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:27 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i Grey

Originally Posted by BimmerJay
I don't believe the car has a turbo - I mean it's just a 2004 with a early build date of October. I suppose another way of describing the noise would be like that of squeaky brakes, but only happens when I'm on the go. If it's normal I'm fine with it, but if it's not then obviously I'd like to address it.
Were you able to resolve your whistling issue ?
I have the same problem as you describe, also from a 2004 530i.

Quick Reply: Whistling sound when accelerating