E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

While idling, engine of 550i (2006) occasionally rocks

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 05:45 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550i. Sapphire Black Metallic/Auburn Leather/Anthracite trim. Sport/Comfort Access/Navigation/Satellite/HD Radio/HUD/Premium Sound/M Aero Kit/with 50% tint sides & rear. 19" Style 166s.

I was told it was normal when taking delivery. It's really no problem as it only lasts a few seconds. These high powered V8s with computer controls are great. They adjust themselves to smooth it out based on the current conditions.

Personally, the TSB suggests some internal repairs that scare me. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I'd be afraid to go poking around in the engine just to solve a few seconds of rough idle, that isn't hurting anything. You've be "poking the bear"

Besides, I love it. It reminds me of our old high performance Detroit muscle car V8s with a high performance cam!! Brief, but wonderful flashbacks!!

Just consider it as waking the beast up. He's a little grumpy 'til he get's his act together. Then...HANG ON BOYS!!! WooHoo!!!

Have fun guys.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Landa220' post='468265' date='Sep 11 2007, 06:45 AM
I was told it was normal when taking delivery. It's really no problem as it only lasts a few seconds. These high powered V8s with computer controls are great. They adjust themselves to smooth it out based on the current conditions.

Personally, the TSB suggests some internal repairs that scare me. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I'd be afraid to go poking around in the engine just to solve a few seconds of rough idle, that isn't hurting anything. You've be "poking the bear"

Besides, I love it. It reminds me of our old high performance Detroit muscle car V8s with a high performance cam!! Brief, but wonderful flashbacks!!

Just consider it as waking the beast up. He's a little grumpy 'til he get's his act together. Then...HANG ON BOYS!!! WooHoo!!!

Have fun guys.
You're absolutely right, some limited roughness isn't an issue at all and does not warrant any attention. The N62 is designed to run very lean during warm up to save fuel and to warm up the catalysts as quickly as possible, so some roughness is to expected as a consequence. From your post you have experienced the N62 working as it should.

The symptoms members describe here (including mine) can go well beyond that, however. The idle issue described in the SIB's can create extended vibration that actually causes the car to rock and sound like a older diesel engine. This can happen after warm up, and also created surging that made driving at low speed in very slow traffic very difficult (freeway on ramp with a meter light for example), again the car would rock and would surge forward, making low speed difficult to modulate with the throttle. After the injectors were replaced, however, mine behaved exactly like yours, which is why I keep laboring the point.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

Its not normal. My roughness upon starting was totally cured with a software program upgrade.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by swajames' post='468144' date='Sep 10 2007, 10:55 PM
Nope. Excessive roughness on idle with an N62TU is not "normal", and it does those owners who have these problems a disservice to claim it is. The factory rep from BMWNA confirmed that there are known idle issues on some of these units and also its predecessor in the 545. In my case it was actually the BMWNA factory rep who came up with the fix (injector replacement) that had eluded the otherwise excellent efforts of my dealer. There are also TSB's confirming how to address idle issues on the 545/550 - so it appears that BMW also acknowledges the issue and has determined how to deal with it.

"Excessive roughness" is the key word here. N62TU has a rough idle, but the "excessive" intepretation is not widespread on this forum. Its argubly a disservice to panic posters on what is a common trait of the motor, and to assume they are at risk to injector replacement. Maybe the correct advice sounds like this, "the idle issue is common to the V8 E60, but most owners have had little problems with this. To be on the safe side which is your decision, bring your E60 in for service and have the SA inspect the engine and go thru TSB."

Your injector replacement didn't solve rough idle on your E60 and we haven't seen many posts here about injector replacement. It is your impression that the TSB will completely address the rough idle issue? (both mild and excessive)
So the N62TU sounds like a Lexus V8?

CVT Benhogan
Old 09-11-2007, 10:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i with 325HP 6 speed Steptronic trans with DVD NAV, Heads Up Display, Logic7 sound system, Rear sunshade, Sport Package....

1600 - Do know the version of software they used to fix this issue.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' post='468398' date='Sep 11 2007, 11:26 AM
"Excessive roughness" is the key word here. N62TU has a rough idle, but the "excessive" intepretation is not widespread on this forum. Its argubly a disservice to panic posters on what is a common trait of the motor, and to assume they are at risk to injector replacement. Maybe the correct advice sounds like this, "the idle issue is common to the V8 E60, but most owners have had little problems with this. To be on the safe side which is your decision, bring your E60 in for service and have the SA inspect the engine and go thru TSB."

Your injector replacement didn't solve rough idle on your E60 and we haven't seen many posts here about injector replacement. It is your impression that the TSB will completely address the rough idle issue? (both mild and excessive)
So the N62TU sounds like a Lexus V8?

CVT Benhogan
The injector replacement actually did solve the issue on mine, the two earlier attempted fixes were software updates and valve adjustment per the SIB. Both made some improvement but it was the injectors thatdid the trick. In other cases a simple software upgrade may be enough. Based on my experience the SIB offers a methodical and entirely appropriate approach to fix the issue. As for panicing posters - I didn't start the thread, and in fairness others have indeed posted that they have the same issues. I've been laboring the point simply because when I had the problem I was also told it was normal - but having been in enough E60's that ran way better than mine I knew it wasn't, and BMW themselves agreed. I also feel that having had the issue and had it fixed, my perspective on what is "normal" is probably more relevant than if I had only ever experienced my engine in one (basically sound) operational state.

BTW - I've got no problem with a rough idle per se. The idle on my 997 is as rough as a hedgehog's a$$ but it's meant to be that way and I absolutely love it. With my particular N62 it was pretty clear from the outset that it wasn't as it should be.

Anyway - I suspect we're saying the same thing. Roughness per se is no big deal, if it's excessive get it looked at.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:27 PM
Members

My Ride: Fully Loaded Monaco Blue 550i Sport

I'll check in...

I have a 550i and i get a very rough idle upon start up after the car has been sitting for awhile... within less then a minute it goes away and everything is as smooth as a babys ass
Old 09-12-2007, 05:28 PM
Members

I know some of us think ?a little roughness? is normal. I don?t buy that. I bought a car for 50+K, not a school bus. If dealer is not able to take care during my next visit, I will go for lemon law.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

It is not normal - what you are talking about is the occasional bump while sitting at a light correct? Where the engine basically mis-fires correct?

Friend had it on his X5 - they replaced the heads (got better) but it was never perfect. He got rid of the car it was so annoying.

So it happens a lot on the 4.4 and 4.8 engines, is not normal, and should be fixed.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:22 PM
Members

My dealer just called and refused to due any further work beyond the procedure in SI B11 07 06 for my rough idle, even after requesting a PuMA case be opened...

Quick Reply: While idling, engine of 550i (2006) occasionally rocks