E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Where is..........

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 03:00 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d

Originally Posted by MacSid' post='795707' date='Feb 18 2009, 11:11 AM
Interestingly, the first time I had complaints with the lights, they made adjustments that all but resolved the problem, but left the lights a little more ponderous in turning on in tunnels than I was comfortable with. Car went back in, more adjustments made, software upgrade, and things were fine.

About 6 months after that (8 months ago), I started having problems again after turning off the DRL functionality in my iDrive - basically winter was over and I didn't want my lights on all the time. This time, it was adjust, then adjust again, then "your light sensor is faulty, we'll replace it under warranty", and then it really went pear-shaped and that's when "blue sky effect" came up. The SA also told me that there had been an increase in the number of complaints, resulting in a Tech Bulletin from BMW.

Basically, subsequent part and/or software upgrades seem to have made things worse, and my rain sensor seems to be going that way too, but that's another story for another thread ...
Thanks for that.

I am beginning to wonder if there are a few gremlins with some of these BMW devices. i had an E39 with rain sensor. Hardly ever needed to mess with the sensitivity of it when it was turned on. This new E60, I am having to meddle with the sensitivity dial while driving. I think BMW hired a few volvo engineers. I say that cause before buying the E60, I had a volvo and the rain sensors and every other electronic device was hopeless in its logic. (Only thing that was acceptable was their RTI navigation).

I just hope this E60 doesnt develop 'faults' as time goes by. Electronic gremlins can be hard to solve IMO. Gone are the days when service people knew how to diagnose problems. These days if its not listed in their computer system, they can't think on their own. We then get the "bluesky" explanation I guess.

cheers
Old 02-18-2009, 05:13 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pigapumbu' post='795716' date='Feb 18 2009, 01:00 PM
Gone are the days when service people knew how to diagnose problems. These days if its not listed in their computer system, they can't think on their own. We then get the "bluesky" explanation I guess.

cheers
+1 for me on that! Common sense has left the building together with Elvis.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

"Blue sky" or not, I still believe that sun position is the key here:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=292308
Old 02-18-2009, 06:42 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='795766' date='Feb 18 2009, 03:17 PM
"Blue sky" or not, I still believe that sun position is the key here:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=292308
No disrecpect, Rudy, but I do not buy the sun position explanation 100%. Couple reasons:

1. In my case, the problem was not always there - it developed over time
2. It does not explain why the lights sometimes come on in bright sunshine but remain off in overcast situations.
3. It does not explain why the lights come on when I start the car in the shade and then refuse to go off, even when driving directly into the sun - even in mid-day conditions when the sun is pretty well above the horizon (I can understand them staying on if I drive into a low setting sun).
Old 02-18-2009, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MacSid' post='795834' date='Feb 18 2009, 10:42 AM
No disrecpect, Rudy, but I do not buy the sun position explanation 100%. Couple reasons:

1. In my case, the problem was not always there - it developed over time
2. It does not explain why the lights sometimes come on in bright sunshine but remain off in overcast situations.
3. It does not explain why the lights come on when I start the car in the shade and then refuse to go off, even when driving directly into the sun - even in mid-day conditions when the sun is pretty well above the horizon (I can understand them staying on if I drive into a low setting sun).
I'm not saying there isn't (or hasn't been) quirks with how the sensor operates -- I'm just pointing out that by design, the lights will come on in "broad daylight" if the sun is at a lower position in the sky. This concept is often lost on people because they're used to the old fashioned systems that don't take into consideration anything but ambient light.

Many people that aren't familiar with how the system operates automatically assume that something is not operating properly since they don't understand why the lights come on when it's not dark out. I felt it was time to mention it again since in many cases where people complain about this, things are working as designed.

Also, keep in mind that the OP might be unfamiliar with all of this -- in your case, it does seem like there's something not quite right with your car...
Old 02-18-2009, 09:11 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport

You're quite right on all counts there, Rudy. I guess it's just too easy to get caught up and hung up over what's ailing my pride and joy.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:34 AM
Senior Members

They should've integrated the sensor into the shark fin.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by neoe60' post='796740' date='Feb 19 2009, 11:34 AM
They should've integrated the sensor into the shark fin.
Why? Just one more thing to have to keep clean for proper functionality...