E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

When will BMW stop using Camshafts!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 09:04 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I absolutely do not understand why these advanced companies like bmw or any upper end engine builder does not start utilizing electric driven valve control and dump the camshafts, vanos motors, lifters. If they also replaced springs with hydralic pieces like F1 cars they could really use high rpms with such little rotating parts in the engine.

This is the direction engines are going as well as drive by wire braking--that as a safety thing I understand hesitation but electric/computerized valve control would have so many benefits but efficiency would be huge and bmw is all about that-no more rotating camshafts and energy wasted with all that reciprocating motion.

All this takes is a computer signal to drive motors controling the valves and run by the DME-that would also open up a lot of space and could make for more compact cylinder heads and save weight and space.

I am really surpsied this has not come to mass market in these companies as they are out there in more specialized applications.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:23 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the key topic is cost.
There is little consumer demand to produce such a benifit.
the bottom line is that they don't have to spend millions on new production lines for engines if little to no one would care either way...

But, i agree, they should get with the time
Old 08-11-2010, 03:32 AM
Banned

That is not true-the same reason they use brake regeneration, electric power steering, electric water pump, valvetronic with no throttle body-all of this increase efficiency which saves on gas milage and getrs more power out of the engine due to less loss of rotating mass or excess energy.

Not to mention reliablity of the engine with less moving parts its always a good thing but mainly the savings in gas milage

They go to all this trouble to tell us how they use hydrofoamed camshafts that are hollow for weight savings-no cam whatsoever would be wayyy less mass to rotate and energy to waste.

Ultimately it would go inline with their tauted "efficient dynamics" deal
Old 08-11-2010, 03:54 AM
Members

about 90% of people that buy these cars are only interested if their phone work with the cars blutooth and if the car has a cupholder.

Enthusiasts are the ones who care about engine technology and driving dynamics... for bmw to cater to our needs they do make the M. What it boils down to is dollars and cents, they can sell their cars no matter what with dated technology and they will continue to do so until it makes sense to jump on to a different design.

I agree it would be better, faster and "greener" but dollars and cents cards trumps all that.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:01 PM
Banned

well why do everything else in their efficient dynamics then? why come up with valvetronic-first of its kind and VANOS 2-first of its kind-if people dont care-they always push the envelope with technilogy that is exactly my point, it is not consistent with bmw to not utilize this technology that others are already doing-its a chance for them yet again to put out a technology that no other car in the segment is using-but dropping the ball
Old 08-11-2010, 02:08 PM
Members

planned obsolescence. if the engine is too durable, it'll price the car right out of the consumer's consideration set.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Members

One question remains diamond...
If you had the perfect engine, would you ever buy the next model that comes out?

BMW is a business. They want to keep making money, not solve a buyers true problem of constantly purchasing cars in ones lifetime...
Old 08-11-2010, 05:58 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ulvit
If you had the perfect engine, would you ever buy the next model that comes out?
Absolutely. There is more to a car than just the engine.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:15 PM
Members

hahaa, i am sorry if am sounding negative...
looks, electrical features, and other new technology also play a part in creating a demand.

I wonder how many people just keep there car from new to wrecker....?
What is the typical length of time an owner has an e60...?
Old 08-11-2010, 07:00 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ulvit
One question remains diamond...

BMW is a business. They want to keep making money, not solve a buyers true problem of constantly purchasing cars in ones lifetime...
i for one would. I get bored of the same old.. and i have never been able to keep a car past 4 year mark.

Quick Reply: When will BMW stop using Camshafts!!!