E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

When were there major changes to the iDrive interface

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 02:22 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

I just thought it would be good to go down memory lane and list out the times when major changes happened to the iDrive interface that provided a lot of additional functionality and/or new look.

I'm not talking about the minor changes between CIPs which no one can notice because they were simply bug fixes, instead I'm looking for pretty big changes e.g. some of the early cars did not have the icons at the side of the map, something that now we can't live without or the POI Search by Name and the graphic changes that came about in v25.

This thread will also give people who don`t have the features we will talk about something to think about and consider if they should get a CIP upgrade.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:24 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your wish is my command.

My article on iDrive covers its history and starts with the very first version of iDrive, including images.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

I've actually read that article with interest but the intention of this thread was not the history of the iDrive itself. Instead within the current life of the E60 there have been some significant changes every so often and its listing those down. e.g. I have, according to you article, the 2nd generation iDrive but still at CIP v25 my entire look-and-feel changed giving me the POI search by name feature. Its those sorts of features that I'm after.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:09 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='532357' date='Feb 17 2008, 11:59 AM
I've actually read that article with interest but the intention of this thread was not the history of the iDrive itself. Instead within the current life of the E60 there have been some significant changes every so often and its listing those down. e.g. I have, according to you article, the 2nd generation iDrive but still at CIP v25 my entire look-and-feel changed giving me the POI search by name feature. Its those sorts of features that I'm after.
Keep in mind that I devised the 3 generations but yes, you have gen 2. The change in the UI occurred with Progman 23 (CIP was discontinued after CIP 19).

My article does cover some of these changes and in fact creates "release notes" for newer versions of Progman.

The most significant change for the 5er was the 3rd generation of iDrive, introducing favorites buttons plus the UI change mentioned above.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:35 AM
Contributors

When did the early E60s get the icons on the Left side of the map display?