E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

When does this crap end!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 08:46 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW-Alpina B5 Touring #007, Malachite Green w/ Caramel Individual interior 1999 BMW 840Ci Sport Individual, Techno Violet w/ Champagne Individual interior

My former mid-2004 530i never had any problems beyond (a) a jammed cupholder, easily fixed and (b) one nasty iDrive crash, which fixed itself after a break. The (Bridgestone) RFT's lasted for over 20,000 miles, half of them driven pretty hard - loved throwing that car around!

Nothing's ever gone even vaguely wrong on my MY2006 Alpina (touch wood!)
Old 09-27-2006, 08:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Silver/Gray, Steptronic, Nav, Logic 7, Active Steering, Aux In, Hardwired V-1.

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' post='339042' date='Sep 26 2006, 09:17 PM
I've had zero problems with mine.

Having said that, I'm not sure that I would buy a used car and complain that the brakes squeak and that I have to replace the tires.

I hope things work out for you.
I'm not sure how much a "used" car has to do with it being built and service correctly, but maybe I give up that right when I buy "certified pre-owned" from a dealer. I guess that's one of the reasons that I posted this was to get others opinions.

I probably wouldn't complain about tire and brakes if this was a track car and I had replaced the tires twice within 7,000 miles. However, this is a "sports sedan" that shouldn't eat tires like this. The first set of replacements were Goodyear runflats and I've since found out that they wear like crap from research and first hand experience. The current set are Pirelli non runflats, hopefully I'll have better luck.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' post='339042' date='Sep 27 2006, 04:17 AM
I've had zero problems with mine.

None here also.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:07 AM
Members

My Ride: 525, Dec 2003, Silver Grey, Black Dakota Leather, Bluetooth, Satnav, 18'' Runflats, Sunroof, Folding mirrors, Automatic

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='339240' date='Sep 27 2006, 11:54 AM
None here also.
But you have posted a lot of problems!! Seats/headlights etc etc
Old 09-27-2006, 09:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by Brutus' post='339010' date='Sep 26 2006, 04:33 PM
I've got a 2004 545i that I enjoy very much. It's not my everyday vehicle, so when I do drive it I truly enjoy the experience. That said, it's becoming less and less enjoyable with all the problems.

When I bought the car, which was CPO, it had 14,000 miles on it and it was mint. I knew it was a first model year, but it seemed solid the weekend that I test drove it. It wasn't till I owned it that I found all the problems. It has been in the shop around 6 weeks out of the last 52. The active steering has been replaced 3 times, AC Compressor once, with 21,000 miles on it's third set of tires, anti-trap message can't be fixed (they just lube and say can't duplicate), can't fix rattle in driver A pillar, brakes won't stop squeeling, and some other small crap.

Is this a problem with BMW or a problem with my Dealer? The dealership that I use is fairly large and to my knowledge has a good reputation. I still love the car, but it's becoming less of a pleasure and more of a hassle. I've owned BMWs in the past and they've all had their little nusiances, but they could be overcome. I'm having my doubts about this one. Is there an end to this or do I own a HIGH MAINTANENCE vehicle?
Sorry to hear about your problems. I don't want to talk to soon, but I have a 2004 545i (end of 2004 model year) that I have 36k on and a side from what I thought was an engine vibration problem, which turned out to be a lot of nothing, I have been very lucky.

My major problems where really just due to CIP s/w upgrades and the on-going door seals, but other than that, I have been very pleased.

Like a previous response said, everything you are describing should be fixable. However, having the active steering replaced 3 times does not sound right.

I would get the BMW field service rep involved so that your problems are either fixed once and for all, or something is done to replace the vehicle.

Good luck.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by Brutus' post='339229' date='Sep 27 2006, 05:40 PM
They already replaced my brake sensors, but it still squeels like crazy. Tech explained that it's the pads, he said that they get a ton of complaints about the pads. He offered to replace them, but said I would only be happy for about 3 weeks.
FWIW - people have reported success in curing squealing E60 brakes by chamfering the pads' edges a little. Don't know if you are DIY-minded, but it may be worth a try.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Silver/Gray, Steptronic, Nav, Logic 7, Active Steering, Aux In, Hardwired V-1.

Originally Posted by dlevi67' post='339347' date='Sep 27 2006, 05:23 PM
FWIW - people have reported success in curing squealing E60 brakes by chamfering the pads' edges a little. Don't know if you are DIY-minded, but it may be worth a try.
Thanks dlevi67, I'll keep that in mind.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by Brutus' post='339010' date='Sep 27 2006, 07:33 AM
I've got a 2004 545i that I enjoy very much. It's not my everyday vehicle, so when I do drive it I truly enjoy the experience. That said, it's becoming less and less enjoyable with all the problems.

When I bought the car, which was CPO, it had 14,000 miles on it and it was mint. I knew it was a first model year, but it seemed solid the weekend that I test drove it. It wasn't till I owned it that I found all the problems. It has been in the shop around 6 weeks out of the last 52. The active steering has been replaced 3 times, AC Compressor once, with 21,000 miles on it's third set of tires, anti-trap message can't be fixed (they just lube and say can't duplicate), can't fix rattle in driver A pillar, brakes won't stop squeeling, and some other small crap.

Is this a problem with BMW or a problem with my Dealer? The dealership that I use is fairly large and to my knowledge has a good reputation. I still love the car, but it's becoming less of a pleasure and more of a hassle. I've owned BMWs in the past and they've all had their little nusiances, but they could be overcome. I'm having my doubts about this one. Is there an end to this or do I own a HIGH MAINTANENCE vehicle?
Sorry to hear about all your problems, I have a BMWHK demo car for 2 years now and there is not 1 thing wrong with it, thank god ( tunch wood). I know BMW & Merk have alot of problems because of the eletronics.
BM is better than Merks in eletronics less bugs. I will never get a merk in HK because the tech people are not German anymore they are from china now.
BUT I have a new problem now after I installed the sway bars. the cars is stiffer but now I get some skeek in the doors because of the swaybars but I will sick with it because I love the feel of the car now.

well good luck fixing the problems.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by Brutus' post='339410' date='Sep 28 2006, 10:54 AM
Thanks dlevi67, I'll keep that in mind.
I am planing to change my brake pad to EBC greenstuff which has now noice and less dust on the rims.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by Brutus' post='339010' date='Sep 26 2006, 07:33 PM

What dealer are you using?? IMO all the things you mentioned should be taken care of with any problems.
Had TCU Unit,(SOS), problems and a set of new tires at 15,000 miles The car is great. Good luck
cheers
vern