E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

When does this crap end!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 03:33 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i Silver/Gray, Steptronic, Nav, Logic 7, Active Steering, Aux In, Hardwired V-1.

I've got a 2004 545i that I enjoy very much. It's not my everyday vehicle, so when I do drive it I truly enjoy the experience. That said, it's becoming less and less enjoyable with all the problems.

When I bought the car, which was CPO, it had 14,000 miles on it and it was mint. I knew it was a first model year, but it seemed solid the weekend that I test drove it. It wasn't till I owned it that I found all the problems. It has been in the shop around 6 weeks out of the last 52. The active steering has been replaced 3 times, AC Compressor once, with 21,000 miles on it's third set of tires, anti-trap message can't be fixed (they just lube and say can't duplicate), can't fix rattle in driver A pillar, brakes won't stop squeeling, and some other small crap.

Is this a problem with BMW or a problem with my Dealer? The dealership that I use is fairly large and to my knowledge has a good reputation. I still love the car, but it's becoming less of a pleasure and more of a hassle. I've owned BMWs in the past and they've all had their little nusiances, but they could be overcome. I'm having my doubts about this one. Is there an end to this or do I own a HIGH MAINTANENCE vehicle?
Old 09-26-2006, 03:43 PM
Senior Members

Sorry to hear about the problems with your E60. I don't think the E60 is high maintanence per se, but I suspect you may be unlucky to get the prevobial "black sheep of the family". Despite being a new owner of an E60, I know several long time owners of the E60 who have been happy. However, I can't deny that there could be many more out there who are unhappy.

If it make you feel any better, Mercedes's W211 have their share of issues as well. That's why BMW and Mercedes are way down that JD Powers survey many months back. It is ridiculous.

Nothing I can say will help your situation. But I wish you the best and hope you will find a resolution soon.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:07 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Silver/Gray, Steptronic, Nav, Logic 7, Active Steering, Aux In, Hardwired V-1.

Originally Posted by Leburpor' post='339013' date='Sep 26 2006, 07:43 PM
Sorry to hear about the problems with your E60. I don't think the E60 is high maintanence per se, but I suspect you may be unlucky to get the prevobial "black sheep of the family". Despite being a new owner of an E60, I know several long time owners of the E60 who have been happy. However, I can't deny that there could be many more out there who are unhappy.

If it make you feel any better, Mercedes's W211 have their share of issues as well. That's why BMW and Mercedes are way down that JD Powers survey many months back. It is ridiculous.

Nothing I can say will help your situation. But I wish you the best and hope you will find a resolution soon.
Thanks for your input Leburpor. I appreciate it!
Old 09-26-2006, 04:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

If you are talking about the window anti-trap issue, my dealership replaced the window regulator. As for the tires, that's pretty much common with everyone that has RFTs.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Sorry to hear about all your problems, I know your experience has not been a good one. Mine has been the polar opposite of yours, so not all cars are this problematic. I have had my 545 since Feb 2004 and have had no issues other than a couple of minor recalls that involved software updates. I also had the door seals replaced which is a common issue as well. Beyond that, regular oil changes.

Certainly issues like the A pillar rattle sound like poor service, surely the dealer could find and resolve such a simple issue. As Vegastrashed pointed out, the runflat tire issue is quite common as is the anti-trap. I'd consider switching to non-runflats. Try talking to the service folks about replacing the regulator like Vegas mentioned. Don't know what to say about the active steering as I don't have it, but three replacements is excessive. AC compressor, well, could have just been its time!

Good luck!
Old 09-26-2006, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Brutus, it's clear that your experiences are not the "norm" for the E60 ownership experience. As others have mentioned, some of the things you mention are common so the dealer should be able to fix them.

To address your post specifically, the following things should be able to be resolved by a competent dealer:
    Not sure why you have gone through so many A/C compressors or active steering components. Don't know what "other small crap" is.

Hang in there -- search the forums here for additional detail on some of the known issues and consider trying another dealer...
    Old 09-26-2006, 05:13 PM
    Members

Listen, hang in there. Those are not major problems and unfixable. Consider my last car that I got ridded was MB 500CLK. It had all the nightmare that you could think of. Engine oil leak, water pump broken, electronic box burned, blown head gaskets. Now that were serious stubs for a 04 model year which I bought brand new. After 6 months, everything went wrong. The piece of sh... visited the dealer more than my ten fingers. Actually, around 4 months out of total 15 months that I owned it. My wife told me do you have enough with MB or do I have to tell you to get a Toyota. That thought scared me so I sold it.
    Old 09-26-2006, 05:17 PM
    Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

I've had zero problems with mine.

Having said that, I'm not sure that I would buy a used car and complain that the brakes squeak and that I have to replace the tires.

I hope things work out for you.
    Old 09-26-2006, 06:46 PM
    Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

0 problems here tooo... *knock on wood* well 1... Transmissions slam when it was new then was fixed with v16.1
    Old 09-27-2006, 08:40 AM
    Members

Thanks for all the responses guys. I'll be sure to mention the regulator to the service guys. I've got another appointment coming up to replace the sleeve in my steering column. After they replaced the last active steering there was alot of noise that can from the steering wheel while turning. They have ordered another sleeve and I'll be in for that.

They already replaced my brake sensors, but it still squeels like crazy. Tech explained that it's the pads, he said that they get a ton of complaints about the pads. He offered to replace them, but said I would only be happy for about 3 weeks.

Thanks again, this site is a huge help. Still love my 545!

Quick Reply: When does this crap end!!!!!