E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

When to change Engine Air Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 05:09 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

Just a quick one... when are you supposed to change the engine air filter? There is no iDrive reminder for this... the air filter in the iDrive reminder is for the cabin air filters, not the engine one.

Also, if there is no iDrive indicator for the engine air filter, how does the dealer know that it's due to be changed? I brought it in for oil change and they said the engine air filter was due too... how do they know? Is there a "hidden" reminder for this that does not show up on the iDrive?

Thanks...
D
Old 04-17-2009, 05:26 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dcaranci' post='850733' date='Apr 17 2009, 06:09 PM
Hi Guys,

Just a quick one... when are you supposed to change the engine air filter? There is no iDrive reminder for this... the air filter in the iDrive reminder is for the cabin air filters, not the engine one.

Also, if there is no iDrive indicator for the engine air filter, how does the dealer know that it's due to be changed? I brought it in for oil change and they said the engine air filter was due too... how do they know? Is there a "hidden" reminder for this that does not show up on the iDrive?

Thanks...
D
every 5,000 miles will help a lot, they are cheap and very easy to install took me 15 seconds
Old 04-17-2009, 05:32 PM
Members

Yea, I know how to change it and my own schedule is about once per year. Also I did change it prior to the oil change myself. But I'm wondering if there is a "hidden" reminder for this otherwise why would the dealer have told me that it's due to be changed? And what does BMW recommend as a change schedule?

I find it very strange that virtually every other standard maintenance item has a reminder, but not the engine air filter... did the BMW engineers forget about it or something?
Old 04-17-2009, 06:25 PM
Senior Members

just change them once or twice a year...i don't think there are hidden menus for this.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered' post='850738' date='Apr 18 2009, 02:26 AM
every 5,000 miles will help a lot, they are cheap and very easy to install took me 15 seconds
lol i would like to know how you did it in fifteen seconds, just done mine and it took me an hour, theres so much that has to be removed before you can get to it, cant belive how big the filter actually is
Old 04-18-2009, 01:54 AM
Members

Yes, this information is concealed from the customer. When the service advisor puts your key in the reader it will display all the cbs items you see in your display and will notify of any additional items that are due. In this case the air filter. This is also the case with microfilters on some vehicles.

Also, BLooD, you have a 530d, PraiseTheLowered can do it is 15 seconds cause hes got a 530i. The filters in these are much more accesible than in the diesel i.e. you dont have to pull off the entire micorfilter housing or engine covers etc.

Hope that helped
Old 04-18-2009, 02:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60
Cool

Originally Posted by powers493' post='851033' date='Apr 18 2009, 10:54 AM
Yes, this information is concealed from the customer. When the service advisor puts your key in the reader it will display all the cbs items you see in your display and will notify of any additional items that are due. In this case the air filter. This is also the case with microfilters on some vehicles.

Also, BLooD, you have a 530d, PraiseTheLowered can do it is 15 seconds cause hes got a 530i. The filters in these are much more accesible than in the diesel i.e. you dont have to pull off the entire micorfilter housing or engine covers etc.

Hope that helped
ahh so i see, that will teach me not to check first
Old 04-18-2009, 02:29 AM
Senior Members

Can anyone tell me where the engine filter is located. Any DIYS?
Old 04-18-2009, 02:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

There's nothing in any CBM for the Air filters, neither in iDrive, or any "hidden" Dealer information.
I understand that they get changed every 3 oil services. I was told that it is written down in the handbook, but I've never bothered to look for it - just change the thing - particularly because mine was jammed full of dead leaves!!

I would say that it is something that the iDrive designers forgot about too!

Mike
Old 04-18-2009, 05:25 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

I just change my air filter when I change my oil. Which is every 5000 miles.

Quick Reply: When to change Engine Air Filter?