E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Which wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 08:56 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535i xDrive, Space Gray Metallic, Gray Dakota Leather, automatic, comfort access, window shades, comfort seats, fold down rear seats, PDC, Navi, HUD, HD Radio, premium package, value package

Hi Folks,

I'm a noob on this site (first post) and a noob to BMW (never owned one before). I'm in the process of picking up a nicely equipped 2010 535XI.

I have a choice of the OEM wheels that came with the car 8x17's all around which I believe are called VSpoke 277 (I think not sure) running all season tires OR for no additional cost I can opt for the OEM staggered 8x18 front and 9x18 rear (I believe these are called type 124).

The car I'm looking at has the Vspoke 277's but the dealer has a very similar car in the same year with the staggered 124's and he gave me the choice of either set for no extra cost (private dealer not a BMW dealer if anyone is wondering).

I'm really somewhat torn. I live in the northeast so a good all-season tire is a must unless I have a winter/summer set. The 17's have all seasons on them and the extra sidewall is nice for comfort. The staggered 18's will handle better, driver harsher and will require me to either replace with all season when the time comes or buy another set of winter wheels.

The 17" tires are cheaper long term.

I'm really torn. Also, I like a wide stance but the staggered wheels ALMOST look like they have to much offset for the car. They are both OEM and correct wheels but the 18"s really peak out at certain angles.

I'm also going to inspect each wheel to see if one set is better than the others. The 18's are almost perfect (on small curb scratch -- not even rash). I haven't inspected the 17"s yet. The tire tread on both sets is fine.

Any input/advice appreciated!
Old 03-06-2012, 09:18 AM
Members

Looking at this chart I found, I would go with the staggered 124's.

BMW Rim Chart
Old 03-06-2012, 09:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535i xDrive, Space Gray Metallic, Gray Dakota Leather, automatic, comfort access, window shades, comfort seats, fold down rear seats, PDC, Navi, HUD, HD Radio, premium package, value package

Thanks for the chart. I think I was wrong. I think the wheels alternative wheel I have a choice of in the 17"s is actually a Double spoke -
style 116. So many wheels and several look similar.

Has anyone driven a 535XI with the 17"s vs. the staggered 18"s. I guess I'm most interested in this 1) What is the difference in ride quality between the two -- how noticable and 2) What is the difference in handling?

Thanks.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:55 AM
Members

My Ride: '07 530Xit, Ty Silver/Black leather, 6MT, Sport, Cold, Nav, PDC, sport seats, square 18
Model Year: 2007

I have an '07 530XiT (essentially the wagon version of your body) and run the 18" 124's for summer, and 17" 122's for winter. I am surprised at how little the ride suffers with the 18's, and the handling is clearly tighter. I think teh looks are better with 18's too. I opted for square sets on the wagon so that I can rotate the tires, so I am not 100% as to the staggered rear wheel size. However, I really thought the OEM spec was for 18x8 front and 18x8 1/2 (not 9) for rears. If so, and the ones you are offered are 9's, that may result in them looking as if they are too far out of the wheel wells in back. You can do a quick check on stock and optional wheel and tire sizes on the tirerack site.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by ssmokn
Thanks for the chart. I think I was wrong. I think the wheels alternative wheel I have a choice of in the 17"s is actually a Double spoke -
style 116. So many wheels and several look similar.

Has anyone driven a 535XI with the 17"s vs. the staggered 18"s. I guess I'm most interested in this 1) What is the difference in ride quality between the two -- how noticable and 2) What is the difference in handling?

Thanks.
My car original came with OE style 124 due to the sport package and they are 18.x 8 all same offsets...no staggering. However, I do not have an XI so don't know if it applies to you. Most of us run 19"- 20" and those of us who have winters go OE 17" or 18" in winter (whatever their car came with)
Old 03-06-2012, 03:29 PM
Members

Thanks folks. I'm usually very decisive but I've been waffling back and forth on this one. I'm not 100% positive the staggered set is the proper wheel set for the XI (I know it is offered I'm just not positive that what is available is proper and i don't want to ask them to pull the wheels just for me to check). They seem like they have a bit too much positive offset to be OEM for the car but I know that the M BMW's often have this look so it might indeed be correct.

Since my wife will be primary driver and the car will be used year round I'm going to go for the 17's. This way she is good to go out of the gate with all season tires when we get the car and I can always buy a set of wheels if I want something with more performance for the other seasons.

Now that I said that I'll probably change my mind a few more times ... Thanks.

Looking forward to getting the car soon.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Car

The 2010 xi had the staggered 124 setup as an option. The offsets on the front are 43, and 55 on the rear. Anything different from these are they are not xi-specific 124 wheels - and instead will be RWD versions, which would poke out if mounted on an xi e60. I have a 2010 xi and also have the 124s staggered - see the pics in my sig.

Going from 17" all-seasons to 18" Dunlop runflats was a horrible experience for me. I pulled them off as soon as I could, and replaced them with Conti DWS all seasons and never looked back. Handling was definitely improved with the Dunlops but they were just too harsh to enjoy for the type of daily driving I do.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 6 speed manual
Model Year: 2006

I run the 18" staggered alloys with summer run-flats from April November on my 550i. For the winter I purchased 17" wheels and Michelin x-Ice snows along with inexpensive alloys from Tirerack. The 17" snows and alloys combined costed less than the 18" snow tire options available on any Web site I visited.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:17 PM
Members

Corey,

Do you have any hi-res pictures of your car that you can share. I was down checking out my car today (it's not ready to pickup yet) and I love the staggered wheels BUT again I'm not sure they are XI specific. The rear wheels are fine. The tire doesn't stick out past the wheel lip. The fronts do stick out past the wheel lip. I had a paper folder in my hand and I laid the edge against the fender and the tire was sticking out maybe a 1/4" or 3/8". I know some of the M series cars are borderline but to me this a) looks slightly ricer (no disrespect to anyone with a Japanese car -- I like anything with wheels) and b) I think it would sandblast the car.

I wouldn't last long with the runflats either but I would replace them later with something similiar to what you have.

I may go down there and pull one to see what offset is stamped on the wheel.

If you have any hi-res pics online shooting an angle down the side of the car I'd love to see them. Let me know.

Thanks again to everyone for the input!
Old 03-08-2012, 05:45 PM
Members

Also, does anyone have the part numbers handy for the 2010 535XI specific staggered 124's. I can check the wheels that I have access to and if not correct I may be interested in purchasing a good used set if I can find a set and the part numbers will be very handy to have. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Which wheels