E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Wheel/Tire,Ride Comfort, Lets Discuss E60SPT

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 01:08 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys well as just about everyone complains about the Dunlop Runflats, count me in they do handle great but the ride quality and tramlining is just terrible.

I know it is ridiculous to spend $1000 or more to replace tires on a brand new car, Why the hell did BMW not make this an option, geeeeeez I dont understand.

I offered to give FREE to two friends and they refused, these dunlops off my car, I hate them.

Well here is what I already know, the 18' runflat package for comfort absolutely stinks.

I may decide to switch to a Conti Sport 2, I like this tire on a sedan and the ride is very compliant.

Well Winter will be over soon, and I am not buying Snow wheels and tires this year.

Since Spring is around the Corner I want to upgrade my wheels and tires possibly to 19 or 20 inch

I love those Radenergie rims, www.wheelpower.com

Well out of mere curiousity if i switch to the 19' 20 and use Conti Sports or Pilots will my ride be comparable to what I have now or the same or worse?
I know the theroy behind larger rims but I never felt such a rough ride as the car is stock on 18;s on any other car before, to me it feels like I have 20' overinflated sometimes.
I dont want to spend 5k to make anything worse and I rather spend the money on tires for a new set of larger rims, it just makes more sense to me.

Anyone who has a e60 Sport and did such a swap and lives in a warfield of pavement in NY, CT, NJ and anywhere else in the world, give me your feedback regarding this.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:13 PM
Members

My Ride: MY 2004 545i; April build; 6 speed; silver grey metalic; black leather; poplar; sport package; cold weather; active steering; xenons .

Originally Posted by Ziering545I' date='Jan 31 2005, 06:08 PM
Hey guys well as just about everyone complains about the Dunlop Runflats, count me in they do handle great but the ride quality and tramlining is just terrible.

I know it is ridiculous to spend $1000 or more to replace tires on a brand new car, Why the hell did BMW not make this an option, geeeeeez I dont understand.

I offered to give FREE to two friends and they refused, these dunlops off my car, I hate them.

Well here is what I already know, the 18' runflat package for comfort absolutely stinks.

I may decide to switch to a Conti Sport 2, I like this tire on a sedan and the ride is very compliant.

Well Winter will be over soon, and I am not buying Snow wheels and tires this year.

Since Spring is around the Corner I want to upgrade my wheels and tires possibly to 19 or 20 inch

Well out of mere curiousity if i switch to the 19' 20 and use Conti Sports or Pilots will my ride be comparable to what I have now or the same or worse?
I know the? theroy behind larger rims but I never felt such a rough ride as the car is stock on 18;s on any other car before, to me it feels like I have 20' overinflated sometimes.
I dont want to spend 5k to make anything worse and I rather spend the money on tires for a new set of larger rims, it just makes more sense to me.

Anyone who has a e60 Sport and did such a swap and lives in a warfield of pavement in NY, CT, NJ and anywhere else in the world, give me your feedback regarding this.
[snapback]85213[/snapback]
Replacing the run-flats with conventional tires on the OEM 18" will improve comfort and going to 19s or 20s will give some or all of it back. How do you measure comfort? I wouldn't go larger than the 18s.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Originally Posted by Ziering545I' date='Jan 31 2005, 05:08 PM

I know the? theroy behind larger rims but I never felt such a rough ride as the car is stock on 18;s on any other car before, to me it feels like I have 20' overinflated sometimes.

[snapback]85213[/snapback]
Hey Ziering545I,

If they are free, I'll gladly take the drive to pick them up.
Heck, I may even give you a few bucks for them.
I have no real complaints with mine except they got kinda noisy.
"If it's free... It's for me!"

I am serious. PM me if you are.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:59 PM
Guest_Ziering545i_*

let me know if you get the PM
Old 01-31-2005, 05:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by realtyman' date='Jan 31 2005, 03:53 PM
Hey Ziering545I,

If they are free, I'll gladly take the drive to pick them up.
Heck, I may even give you a few bucks for them.
I have no real complaints with mine except they got kinda noisy.
"If it's free... It's for me!"

I am serious.? PM me if you are.
[snapback]85285[/snapback]
HAHA I KNOW!! seriously! If they are free I'll come take them off your hands if you were in So. California

I'm curious what other cars have you driven before the E60? I find the ride perfectly acceptable... But then my tires are still brand new. 700 miles only so unless they get worse... (* I SURE HOPE NOT *)
Old 01-31-2005, 05:09 PM
RAI
Members

I can't speak to 19" or 20" wheels, but I can comment on the ContiSport Contact 2s. They will definitely give you a better ride than the OEM runflats. No question. I'm running them now. I've also tried the Pilot Sport 2s. They handle better than the Contis, noticeably better, but I had to get rid of them because their ride was too rough and they made too much tread noise. Plus, they had a wierd shake between 65 and 75 mph that I couldn't get rid of with the best balancing possible. If you want THE best handling, go with the PS2s. If you want a great overall balance, with an appreciably better ride and less tread noise, go with the Contis. Another thing I like about the Contis is that they don't have a directional tread, so they can be rotated if you ever develop tread roar. If that happens with the PS2s you're screwed- they can't be rotated on a car with different size tires front and rear.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:39 PM

Do not bother with the Dunlops. Better to recycle them. They're the pits. 8,700 miles and all four needed to be replaced.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:55 PM

Arrow

Wait until > 10,000 miles and see how you like them... alor more road noise all of a sudden. Good news is it made me aware of a rattle I had at my dash.

Drive those tires @ 50mph and they just fight it all the way. My E60 w/ run flats does not like 50... 20 no problem / 80 no problem... 50mph tons of road noise.

Ofcourse the dealership says its normal and the rattle is my key :-S -- yeah thats what it is my key with no key chain attached - right.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:15 PM
Guest_Ponster_*

Hey Ziering545I,

I have the following wheels and tires:

Wheels- Style#124 Front-19x8 Rear-19x9
Tires- Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s- 245/35/19 275/30/19

Beautiful thread design and best riding tires, no road noise, great handling. The smoothest ride I have ever felt on a car with 30 and 35 series tires. They ride better than the OEM tires. As far as Continentals, they are the worse tires ever made, they have uneven wear with 2,000 miles. Believe me stick to MICHELINS, they are the best in ride comfort.

Total cost:

Wheels- $800.00 set
Tires- $1,200.00 set
Old 02-21-2005, 06:29 PM

I totally agree with you. I had my OEM Dunlops replaced under warranty at 11,000 miles after developing horrendous tire roar and tramlining at 7000 miles. BMW replaced them with 18" Bridgestone Potenza's (also runflats). What a difference!!! It's like I have a new car again....eerily quiet and no tramlining. Huge improvement. Do whatever you can to get rid of those horrible Dunslops....

Quick Reply: Wheel/Tire,Ride Comfort, Lets Discuss E60SPT