E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Wheel spin

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 07:57 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Madwax' post='214013' date='Dec 21 2005, 06:23 PM
The only thing you can do is press the button on the centre console labeled 'DTC'.
Indeed, but... Normally DSC is on. If you press that button, DTC will take over, which is the same setting basically but it permits more wheel spin, for slippery conditions, where the car would not budge. But if you keep more than 3 seconds this button pushed you deactivate DSC and DTC. Then only some basic - very late kicking in - protection is left.

This was discussed over and over again... Sorry for those who like me, know this from the very day they had the car.

So it is like this:
DSC on - always
DSC off, DTC on - if you press briefly the button
DSC off, DTC off - if you press for longer than 3 seconds the button.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by norham' post='213852
A bit of wheel-spin does make a BMW, that's what we pay for.

I get it all the time because I punch the throttle hard after hitting a corner.

Don't be a pussy.
Personally, I don't pay for a BMW to get wheel spin. I do pay for a certain amount of power, and wheel spin, thus, is inevitable unless one sometimes leaves both DSC and DTC on. I seldom leave either on so I am subjec to wheel spin. But, I also am not subject to the invasive forces of DTC--which I dislike passionately.

Please don't insult or flame others that perhaps don't agree with you. On these forums, we are about being polite and respectul of others and their opinions and not flaming.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:27 AM
Members

It heppens to me too..

I went to a dealer and he said....

By the 20(30)km/h the DTC works a little different than at higer speeds. It allow tyre to spin a little to find best traction. I found this very usefull.

For example. You are on the ice and you push your throtle(acceleration pedal) fully. The left and right tyre spins a little not simultanious. And you muve further. THIS IS GOOD!!

I tried Renault Laguna, peugeut 407, audi a4, DTC is ASR...on ice with fully throtle...no moving at all. so you stay put.
On other hand here(BMW) you can separately switch on or of the DTC OR DSC. On other cars mentioned before this is impossible.

I like that what they do at BMW. I hope you will find out to (TRY IT)
Old 12-21-2005, 10:37 AM
Contributors

I was under the impression that when DSC was activated, DTC was fully activated as well.

I use to fully turn it off, but holding the button down for three seconds can be a pain, especially when I like to toggle between on and off. I found that with one press of the button, DSC minimized and DTC still active, I can get decent amount of wheel spin or slippage when upshifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd, along with powering out of a corner.

Interestingly, I found that when DSC is fully active, the back end can come out a decent amount in the canyons, especially along switchbacks and tight hairpins. The fact that my rear tires are pretty much shot probably contributes to that though.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by satelit' post='214074' date='Dec 21 2005, 02:27 PM
It heppens to me too..

I went to a dealer and he said....

By the 20(30)km/h the DTC works a little different than at higer speeds. It allow tyre to spin a little to find best traction. I found this very usefull.

For example. You are on the ice and you push your throtle(acceleration pedal) fully. The left and right tyre spins a little not simultanious. And you muve further. THIS IS GOOD!!

I tried Renault Laguna, peugeut 407, audi a4, DTC is ASR...on ice with fully throtle...no moving at all. so you stay put.
On other hand here(BMW) you can separately switch on or of the DTC OR DSC. On other cars mentioned before this is impossible.

I like that what they do at BMW. I hope you will find out to (TRY IT)
Unfortunately, one can't switch DSC and DTC off separately. All you can do is have both off or both active to a greater or lesser degree. For my purposes, I would strongly perfer being able to leave DSC on with no DTC action occuring at all. So, to get what I want most, no DTC, I have to switch both off. Funny, that BMW would design its DSC/DTC system in such a way it allows us to put ourselves in this relatively unsafe condition--by not allowing us to simply turn DTC, by itself, completely off.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 E90 M3

Originally Posted by heezy545i' post='214081' date='Dec 21 2005, 02:37 PM
I was under the impression that when DSC was activated, DTC was fully activated as well.

I use to fully turn it off, but holding the button down for three seconds can be a pain, especially when I like to toggle between on and off. I found that with one press of the button, DSC minimized and DTC still active, I can get decent amount of wheel spin or slippage when upshifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd, along with powering out of a corner.

Interestingly, I found that when DSC is fully active, the back end can come out a decent amount in the canyons, especially along switchbacks and tight hairpins. The fact that my rear tires are pretty much shot probably contributes to that though.
I was under that impression as well. DSC and DTC is normally both fully functioning, until you press the button, which will deactivate DSC but leave DTC functioning. 3 second press = all off.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:57 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by alpineweiss' post='214088

I was under that impression as well. DSC and DTC is normally both fully functioning, until you press the button, which will deactivate DSC but leave DTC functioning. 3 second press = all off.
[/quote]
Nope both always are functioning to some extent unless both are off.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 520i, mystic blue, steptronic, beige leather, pdc, bluetooth, rain sensor, BMW sport kit fitted, 18" 166 rep BMW rims , de-badged, cherished reg. chrome grill,

Originally Posted by vnod' post='214089
Originally Posted by heezy545i' post='214081' date='Dec 21 2005, 02:37 PM

[/quote]
Thanks for all the constructive comments guys (I won't include the juvenile ones in that) but as I see it DTC and DSC should be on together in the default mode as I already commented wheel spin should be a thing of the past with this technically advanced car except in conditions where it would help to get moving. If I'm not wrong lesser cars have DTC or a version engaged all the time to stop wheel spin I know if I saw this vehicle taking off with wheel spin I would NOT be impressed this is not good driving it's just posing and either speaks volumes about the car or it's driver and not good volumes.
In relation to holding the DTC button for the 3 sec's is there a warning light to tell me what I have engaged I can't see one so how do we tell?
Old 12-22-2005, 05:46 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by norham' post='214308
Originally Posted by alpineweiss' post='214088' date='Dec 21 2005, 02:53 PM
[quote name='heezy545i' post='214081' date='Dec 21 2005, 02:37 PM']

[/quote]
Thanks for all the constructive comments guys (I won't include the juvenile ones in that) but as I see it DTC and DSC should be on together in the default mode as I already commented wheel spin should be a thing of the past with this technically advanced car except in conditions where it would help to get moving. If I'm not wrong lesser cars have DTC or a version engaged all the time to stop wheel spin I know if I saw this vehicle taking off with wheel spin I would NOT be impressed this is not good driving it's just posing and either speaks volumes about the car or it's driver and not good volumes.
In relation to holding the DTC button for the 3 sec's is there a warning light to tell me what I have engaged I can't see one so how do we tell?
[/quote]You are welcome. Check back on the prior posts. All has been answered about DTC and DTS. Merry Xmas.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by norham' post='213852' date='Dec 21 2005, 08:09 AM
Taking off from a junction the other day on greasy surface and the rear wheels spun I wasn't aggressive just wondering as the car is in the DSC mode by default does it not prevent wheel spin or do I have to dis-engage it and engage the DTC, seems a bit strange as wheel spin would be a more common occurrence than anything that would need the DSC
Your thought's

I have been driving this week more than 600 km on black ice, ice and snowy icy roads,
and I can only bless the BMW's DSC system.

My car has used this week all its DSC, CBC, ABS, DTC etc but I have had no problems!

I have winter tires without spikes and the car has been handling just great.

Quick Reply: Wheel spin