E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Wheel spin

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 09:09 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 520i, mystic blue, steptronic, beige leather, pdc, bluetooth, rain sensor, BMW sport kit fitted, 18" 166 rep BMW rims , de-badged, cherished reg. chrome grill,

Taking off from a junction the other day on greasy surface and the rear wheels spun I wasn't aggressive just wondering as the car is in the DSC mode by default does it not prevent wheel spin or do I have to dis-engage it and engage the DTC, seems a bit strange as wheel spin would be a more common occurrence than anything that would need the DSC
Your thought's
Old 12-20-2005, 11:58 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5, Silverstone with black extended leather, brushed aluminium trim, Nav Pro, Logic 7, PDC, 35 % tint.

A bit of wheel-spin does make a BMW, that's what we pay for.

I get it all the time because I punch the throttle hard after hitting a corner.

Don't be a pussy.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:30 AM
Senior Members

BMW power! My DSC kicks in quite a bit in the wet, and it does allow a bit of play. Often, I do the 3-second-press though
Old 12-21-2005, 02:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530 2006 msport package, steptronic, pdc, mystik blue, grey dakota leather, sunroof, Bi-Xenon, heated rear seats, Hi-FI system, velour carpets

Originally Posted by shiny' post='213930' date='Dec 21 2005, 12:30 PM
BMW power! My DSC kicks in quite a bit in the wet, and it does allow a bit of play. Often, I do the 3-second-press though

The BMW:s are rear wheel drive so what can you expect other than some wheel spin...
Old 12-21-2005, 04:11 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 530D SE

Originally Posted by norham' post='213852' date='Dec 21 2005, 06:09 AM
Taking off from a junction the other day on greasy surface and the rear wheels spun I wasn't aggressive just wondering as the car is in the DSC mode by default does it not prevent wheel spin or do I have to dis-engage it and engage the DTC, seems a bit strange as wheel spin would be a more common occurrence than anything that would need the DSC
Your thought's
It took me a while to figure this out, but I think the default 'DSC' is Dynamic Stability Control. If you push the button marked DTC, this engages 'Dynamic Traction Control'. This effectively acts like a sort of limited slip differential up to 30mph. This this makes it possible for both rear tyres to grip, not just one and it is for slippery conditions and snow.

I find DTC works best after fresh rain when the surface of the road is slightly damp, but very slippy. It allows you to pull out of junctions quickly and gives extra initial grip, after 30mph you're on your own! But it feels amazing pulling out of slow corners and junctions without a single rear wheel spinning!
Old 12-21-2005, 05:55 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Madwax' post='213949
Your thought's
It took me a while to figure this out, but I think the default 'DSC' is Dynamic Stability Control. If you push the button marked DTC, this engages 'Dynamic Traction Control'. This effectively acts like a sort of limited slip differential up to 30mph. This this makes it possible for both rear tyres to grip, not just one and it is for slippery conditions and snow.

I find DTC works best after fresh rain when the surface of the road is slightly damp, but very slippy. It allows you to pull out of junctions quickly and gives extra initial grip, after 30mph you're on your own! But it feels amazing pulling out of slow corners and junctions without a single rear wheel spinning!
[/quote]

I use DTC only in snow with some few inches atleast where you need extra traction and let the wheel spin a lit bit. Otherwise I go with DSC 'ON' always on dry, wet and snowy roads with couple of inches.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

DSC/DTC is a pain... I often find it butting in when I downshift to second gear in the dry... or upshifting from 1st to 2nd in the dry (redline shift for the latter). I don't always remember to switch it off when I feel like dipping into the throttle. At least there's enough power for the car to spin the wheels in those conditions... for that I'm grateful.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 520i, mystic blue, steptronic, beige leather, pdc, bluetooth, rain sensor, BMW sport kit fitted, 18" 166 rep BMW rims , de-badged, cherished reg. chrome grill,

Originally Posted by mr_djurgarden' post='213933

The BMW:s are rear wheel drive so what can you expect other than some wheel spin...
[/quote]
wow I wonder why BMW developed the DTC/DSC and also why did you buy one with these 2 functions

Originally Posted by KenTO' post='213896' date='Dec 21 2005, 08:58 AM
A bit of wheel-spin does make a BMW, that's what we pay for.

I get it all the time because I punch the throttle hard after hitting a corner.

Don't be a pussy.
I didn't buy wheel spin and who's a pussy hitting the throttle AFTER the corner my daughter could do that and she's 11
Old 12-21-2005, 07:23 AM
Members

wow I wonder why BMW developed the DTC/DSC and also why did you buy one with these 2 functions
DSC is part of the design and is standard on E60s here in UK and is constantly on by default, there is no DSC button.

The only thing you can do is press the button on the centre console labeled 'DTC'.

DTC activates a kind of limited slip diff which locks the rear wheels so they don't spin independent of each other, thereby generating more low speed traction in slippy conditions.

With the large initial torque produced by my 530d, I find it very useful. Otherwise when setting off on a slippy uphill junction I'd be left with all power spinning one rear wheel and not going anywhere.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:50 AM
Members

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE rear wheel drive. Nothing beats balancing the car through a corner using the throttle and a bit of opposite lock. It's what a car's meant to do! And BMWs do it beautifully

Quick Reply: Wheel spin