E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Wheel Recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 09:36 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

I'm going to have to order the snows soon. I've decided on the Style 122 rims (or maybe the 138). I can order OEM wheels from bmwwheels.com or go with one of the many "made in Italy" knock offs (wheelsandcaps or lakeshorewheels from ebay). The OEMs look to be about double the price.

Any thoughts here? Remember, they will be my winter tires but I will use them at least 5-6 months out of the year.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 Limo with M-Sport package(m5 mirrors,m5 trunk finisher,m172 summer wheels,blk front grills,m5 paddle shift kit(my530i),m pedal covers,m floor mats, E87 2005 The Misses car E39 2002 Touring with M-Sport package/family wagon(gone but not forgotten)

Originally Posted by doug_999' post='207820' date='Dec 6 2005, 07:36 AM
I'm going to have to order the snows soon. I've decided on the Style 122 rims (or maybe the 138). I can order OEM wheels from bmwwheels.com or go with one of the many "made in Italy" knock offs (wheelsandcaps or lakeshorewheels from ebay). The OEMs look to be about double the price.

Any thoughts here? Remember, they will be my winter tires but I will use them at least 5-6 months out of the year.
For the winter knock offs are just fine, but I purchased OEM because I like to keep mine all BMW
Old 12-06-2005, 06:49 AM
Contributors

Hey Doug - I purchased replica M Par wheels for my 740i and used them for 2 winters and they were excellent ... no problems. I bought them from LakeShore Wheel and Tire with mounted winter tires (Blizzak LM22). They were well-balanced and ran smooth and true. I don't think you will notice any difference with a good replica, except in your wallet.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

you can probably pick up a set of 138's fairly cheap on ebay becasue BMW does not credit whenyou get wheels so there are lots of sets. I would also go with the 138's because they are 7.5inches (need 225 tires) which are narrower and therefore better in the snow.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 e60 Titanium grey Auburn premium Sport 6-speed Logic-7 folding rear seats with ski bag Bi-xenon Cold weather package

I put my snows on Mille Miglia mm2's and I bent every wheel. I diden't any really bad holes and I have run my oem's for 2 summers now and they are perfect. I had to buy new rims and pay for mounting and bal.
so it would have been cheeper to go oem for me.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

I got the OEM Style #138 for winter from the dealer (with the winter RFTs). They can order the wheel and tire pre-mounted and balanced.

Hearing the stories from others on this board, I didn't want to take the risk of some tire shop ruining my wheels. Besides, most dealers will not change extra for putting the new set on (since they come pre-mounted/balanced). You will pay extra at the tire shop.

Finally, the cost differential of a couple hundred dollars was neglible to me, so I got the OEMs

Edit: Of course, the cost differencial would depend on the wheels you select. But IMO, you get what you pay for, so cheaper wheels may result in bent wheels.

Just my $0.02
Old 12-06-2005, 08:42 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sapphire Black, Tiptronic, Sport, NAV, Cold Weather, Logic 7, 2004 Porsche GT3 2000 Porsche GT3 RSR 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

How about getting new rims for the summer months and keeping your OEM wheels for your winter tires. BBS is comming out with some very light strong wheels for the M5 and may have some for all E60. These will be very light, I've been told around 15lbs each. The unsprung weight savings will have a huge performance impact. Below is a note I got from BBS about the new wheels. I will also try and attach a picture.

In terms of construction, the new forged aluminum wheels are a reflection of a movement that is industry-wide in race wheels to phase out magnesium in three piece wheels. All the factory Porsche teams use these aluminum wheels on their cars; all the Porsches running on BBS 3 piece wheels this weekend at ALMS in Sebring (which is basically ALL of the teams, both factory-backed and independent) will use the aluminum wheel; cars that run at LeMans this June will be on aluminum, not magnesium. BBS is the industry's leader in craftsmanship, strength, design, and quality, and their 30+ year history making race wheels alone puts them at the top of the list.
Attached Thumbnails Wheel Recomendations-bbsalum.jpg  
Old 12-06-2005, 09:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by doug_999' post='207820
How about getting new rims for the summer months and keeping your OEM wheels for your winter tires. BBS is comming out with some very light strong wheels for the M5 and may have some for all E60. These will be very light, I've been told around 15lbs each. The unsprung weight savings will have a huge performance impact. Below is a note I got from BBS about the new wheels. I will also try and attach a picture.

In terms of construction, the new forged aluminum wheels are a reflection of a movement that is industry-wide in race wheels to phase out magnesium in three piece wheels. All the factory Porsche teams use these aluminum wheels on their cars; all the Porsches running on BBS 3 piece wheels this weekend at ALMS in Sebring (which is basically ALL of the teams, both factory-backed and independent) will use the aluminum wheel; cars that run at LeMans this June will be on aluminum, not magnesium. BBS is the industry's leader in craftsmanship, strength, design, and quality, and their 30+ year history making race wheels alone puts them at the top of the list.
Welcome, and--Wow, it looks like I'll have to sell my 101's.

Originally Posted by JStraw' post='207953' date='Dec 6 2005, 12:24 PM
I got the OEM Style #138 for winter from the dealer (with the winter RFTs). They can order the wheel and tire pre-mounted and balanced.

Hearing the stories from others on this board, I didn't want to take the risk of some tire shop ruining my wheels. Besides, most dealers will not change extra for putting the new set on (since they come pre-mounted/balanced). You will pay extra at the tire shop.

Finally, the cost differential of a couple hundred dollars was neglible to me, so I got the OEMs

Edit: Of course, the cost differencial would depend on the wheels you select. But IMO, you get what you pay for, so cheaper wheels may result in bent wheels.

Just my $0.02
Good points. Dealer is the way to go for installation.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Originally Posted by vnod' post='207974

The knock offs will be OK if you don't do any high-speed driving and don't hit anything hard hard--e.g., big winter pot holes. Actually, high-speed driving probably would be fine. If I do so, however, I like to have great confidence in my wheels.

Originally Posted by sdente' post='207960

Just my $0.02
Good points. Dealer is the way to go for installation.
[/quote]

If money is no object, I would add.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

Yes, "if money is no object". But consider this, we pay about $60 to $70k for our cars (ok you folks who lease obviously don't), and then we worry about a few hundred dollars for the wheels/tires?? - which BTW are probably one the most important things you would buy for the car.

Go figure!!

Quick Reply: Wheel Recomendations