E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What's this little sucker?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 12:08 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 535d sport, Silver Grey/grey/maple. 20" Hartge Nova 7. Previously 19" staggered 172s

I could believe it was an OUTSIDE temperature sensor if the info was used by the engine management, that would need to know the incoming temp. The ones for the dash temp readout are normally sheltered from wind chill, and for that matter engine (or radiator!) heat.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:17 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by vern' post='231462' date='Jan 29 2006, 08:41 PM
It seems a bit exposed for a temperature gauge and subject to wind chill
Absolutely correct answered by previous posters...

Originally Posted by wikipedia
Wind chill is the apparent temperature felt on exposed skin due to the combination of air temperature and wind speed. Except at higher temperatures, where wind chill is considered less important, the wind chill temperature (often incorrectly called the "wind chill factor") is always lower than the air temperature, because any wind increases the rate at which moisture evaporates from the skin and carries heat away from the body. The phase change of water (in sweat) from liquid to vapor requires that the molecules reach a higher energy state. That energy is acquired by absorbing heat from surrounding tissue by conduction (see heat transfer).

Air movement increases the rate at which the temperature of an object reaches the temperature of the ambient air. Humans feel this increased rate of heat transfer as wind chill.
Inanimate objects - which happen not to sweat too often - do not feel it in the same way.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Kev525' post='231435' date='Jan 29 2006, 12:42 PM
Sorry - I do normally search before posting daft questions but got carried away. I'll try harder next time - honest.

Thanks for the confirmation anyway.
Thanks for not searching. Now, I know it is there and what is does. No apologies necessary. Do a search, and see if you can find your answer. I probably couldn't. What would I search on?--maybe "thing in grill area."
Old 01-29-2006, 12:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by Heikki' post='231492' date='Jan 29 2006, 03:02 PM
The windchill is exactly what you need if you want to measure the outside temperature accurately. When there is bigger mass of airflow going past the sensor it's temperature approaches the temperature of the air faster. If there is no airflow at all cooling the sensor it absorbs heat emmitted from the engine and heat trasmitted through the infrared radiation of the sun, and shows too high temp.

You can forget all that winchill factor BS. It has nothing to do with the real temperature of the air. 20 deg air is always 20 deg air, even if it is blowing at 20 mph or 200mph. The so called windchill factor just describes how a human perceives temperatures with wind, but the real temperature of the air is always what it is, independent of the movement of the air.

It is simple physics. Elementary, my dear Watson...
If nothing else you sure learn something on this site every day.Thanks for straingting that out.
cheers
vern
Old 01-29-2006, 12:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by vern' post='231531' date='Jan 29 2006, 04:30 PM
If nothing else you sure learn something on this site every day.Thanks for straingting that out.
cheers
vern
True, I'm glad he didn't search. I like serendipity and knowledge-producing discussions better than info-reducing searches. And, as best I can tell, cyberspace also is infinite.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

Originally Posted by big_ipaq' post='231527
It seems a bit exposed for a temperature gauge and subject to wind chill
Absolutely correct answered by previous posters...

Originally Posted by wikipedia
Wind chill is the apparent temperature felt on exposed skin due to the combination of air temperature and wind speed. Except at higher temperatures, where wind chill is considered less important, the wind chill temperature (often incorrectly called the "wind chill factor") is always lower than the air temperature, because any wind increases the rate at which moisture evaporates from the skin and carries heat away from the body. The phase change of water (in sweat) from liquid to vapor requires that the molecules reach a higher energy state. That energy is acquired by absorbing heat from surrounding tissue by conduction (see heat transfer).

Air movement increases the rate at which the temperature of an object reaches the temperature of the ambient air. Humans feel this increased rate of heat transfer as wind chill.
Inanimate objects - which happen not to sweat too often - do not feel it in the same way.
[/quote]

The only sense in which wind chill matters to inanimate objects is that they will approach the true temperature more quickly. If a car is warm and parked at 0 degrees with no wind (like in a garage), it will not hit 0 degrees for quite a while, due to the buildup of layers of warm air immediately around the car; but if that warm car is parked at 0 degrees and a 50 mile per hour wind, it will approach 0 far more quickly.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I havent noticed it on my M-Tech Bumper... what they do? throw it out?

Ya somtimes searching is harder than it sounds... if you know what to search for then its easier. EVEN THEN somtimes it doesnt work... the search engine sucks in combining key works... tells us to use

+little +thingy to search for both terms but it doesnt work the way its suppose to.

I sometimes cant find an old post that I know I've read and know some key words in there. Starting new threads is ok unless its a REALLY REALLY obvious one.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='231428
I seem to remember it being a sensor for the DSC
I am no engineer, but shouldn't the sensors for the DSC be on the wheels where actual contact between the car and the pavement takes place.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Oh I jsut checked... I do have that little bugger!

Maybe its a accelerometer!!!!
Old 01-29-2006, 04:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='231659' date='Jan 30 2006, 09:35 AM
Oh I jsut checked... I do have that little bugger!

Maybe its a accelerometer!!!!
That's it, it measure the speed of your car by windspeed.

Quick Reply: What's this little sucker?