E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What's the deal with wanting more Engine Power? 525-530-550-M5? Wh

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 09:02 AM
Members

Location: Central California. Plenty of sunshine. Hot in Summer, but NO humidity. :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: In the process of buying the right 2006 530i

I have noticed something very interesting in reading through the various posts on this forum and other forums. Nobody is ever satisfied with their car. I have read through the various threads such as, "should I get a 525i or 530i", and the prevailing line is, "it's just $4,000 more to go from 215hp to 255hp, pay the $4,000 for the extra power". I have also read through the threads such as, "should I buy a 530i or 550i," and the prevailing line is it only about $6,000 to $8,000 more to get the 550, and now you have a V8!" And, I have read the threads such as "should I buy a 550i or stretch to the M5", and the prevailing line is, "stretch for the M5, and you get an M5!"

I find all the above very interesting because, if you look back at the posts of the people who are considering getting a faster car, they seem to very satisfied with their current car, be it a 525i, 530i, 550i. So, why get more and pay more, when what they have is great, in their own words! Also, at least to me $4,000/$8,000 is not chump change, I will gladly save $4000, $8,000, $15,000+ if I love what I have, and I have been raving about the greatness of my current 525i, 530i, or 550i.

So, why? Why do we, myself included, feel the need to want the biggest, fastest car, even when it means as some say, "stretching" monetarily? I don't get this obsession. Furthermore, who in the world can actually use all the power of their car? I know in California, I sure would not want to get stopped doing 150mph. I believe they impound your car, and strip you of your license at that speed, and risk a felony reckless driving charge. For sure, if you did it once, got caught, you could not do it again, unless you have a ton of idle cash for a good attorney.

So why do we lust after the biggest engine, knowing fullwell, we will never use all the power? Nor could we realistically use the power, unless you actually belong to a race club where you can have your car on an actual race track.

I struggle with this obsession, especially when it comes to BMW's. The funny thing is, when I was driving my 1995 Camry 4 Banger LE, I never felt I had a lack of power. I merged on all California Freeways, had no problems with Pacheco Pass, the Grapevine, the pass from Tracy to the Bay Area, taking 80 to Reno, or 50 to Tahoe. Now, I would have the gall to say, "wow that car is really underpowered!" But, it was not underpowered when I was driving it! I passed, merged, and took passes just fine. But, I could NOT bank a turn, or corner a turn, or drive fast through canyons. Nor, did I get that special feeling you get when you get behind of the wheel of a BMW.

So, why the need for so much speed? Do we all need a reality check at times? Is every BMW, 325i, 330i, M3, 525i, 530i, 550i, M5, 750 special and great? Or, is it speed that makes the car? Is it impossible to be happy with a 325i, when you know there is 330i, or 525i when you know there is a 530i, or a 550, when you know there is an M5?
Old 02-18-2006, 09:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Human Nature! you always want what you dont have and / or what you cant get / justify getting.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Because you can't take it with you, so spend your money on whatever makes you happy. I've been happy with every car I've had, but get happier each time I get a better one. Your point is absolutely right, but to (loosely) quote the great George Best - "I spent my money on fast cars, women and booze. The rest of it I squandered"
Old 02-18-2006, 09:19 AM
Senior Members

Pure addiction. That's for me. I'm addicted to power if the cars has a proper set-up to put it down (weight distribution, traction, transmission and etc). I for one addmit that i'm kinda an adrenaline junkie and sometimes i need the shot. So how can you make yourself grin every time you mess with it? Just by having more power (when barring the throttle) or being more iresponsable by drifting and doing powerslides. I for one like to think of myself that the second chapter pretty much is over.
Also we find ourselfs very good when we know we just have the resources even we are not using them all the time.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Your points are interesting, of course. But, I won't try to provide answers too many your whys; it would take a book. I'll just say that I love both of my cars and find ways to use their power (see the g-meter testing thread). Also, I am not lusting after faster cars, although I do think about what I might get when it is time to dispose of my current cars or right now if I win Power Ball tonight. In general, the fact is that many people are not really satisfied with what they have because there is something better out there even if they profess the greatness of what they have. The tendency is to try to find a rationalization that makes what one has the best and to try to find reasons why others are misquided in their rationalizations about what they have being the best.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='242323' date='Feb 18 2006, 08:19 PM
Pure addiction. That's for me. I'm addicted to power
I second that. After getting some age to comprehend power and understand that full capabilitys can not be used in open roads, I have to say that there is newer enough power in any car You can buy from shops.

Skaffa
Old 02-18-2006, 09:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

That's for us to know and BMW to figure out.

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 02-18-2006, 09:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,manufactured 2-27-08,delivered 4-2-08.Platinum bronze,natural brown interior,light poplar trim,cold weather package,heated rear seats,HD radio

Originally Posted by Znod' post='242324' date='Feb 18 2006, 01:22 PM
Your points are interesting, of course. But, I won't try to provide answers too many your whys; it would take a book. I'll just say that I love both of my cars and find ways to use their power (see the g-meter testing thread). Also, I am not lusting after faster cars, although I do think about what I might get when it is time to dispose of my current cars or right now if I win Power Ball tonight. In general, the fact is that many people are not really satisfied with what they have because there is something better out there even if they profess the greatness of what they have. The tendency is to try to find a rationalization that makes what one has the best and to try to find reasons why others are misquided in their rationalizations about what they have being the best.
No chance for you to win Power Ball tonite Znod,I am going to win.I must win because I have already spent the money in my dreams.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:53 AM
Senior Members

BMWDoug,

I like your post! I have been wondering the same thing. When I respond to members regarding 550 vs. 530 v. 525, I generally suggest the latter two.

Here in the U.S., everyone feels they need the best/biggest/fastest and we will never be satisfied. I have seen this over the past 20 years.

In the mid-80s:
1) People were happy in a sedan with a 0-60 around 8 seconds - nowdays, 6 seconds is embarrasing (countless members have called a 530 "slow").
2) Families with three kids were just fine with a 4 door sedan or a wagon. Now, there is a perceived "need" for huge SUVs. Lets face it, they are a huge waste of money and resources, not to mention no fun to drive! Can anyone tell me why they need an X5 when the 530xi has similar useable room and better driving dynamics? Really, I would love any responses.
3) The average size of U.S. new homes have increased something like 20% even though family size has not changed - do we really need these McMansions for parents with one kid?

The worst part about these growing expectations is that it is not supported by growing incomes. For the first time in decades, the average income savings rate is negative. Yes, most of us here can easily afford these items, but the feeling that we "need" them is disturbing.

So if one is looking at a 550 vs. 530, do yourself a favor and get the 530 and use the $8K savings for the 50" plasma TV and audio system you must have.

I will get off my soapbox now.

That being said, I'm going to play the PowerBall now and will buy an M5, M6 and X5 4.8 if I win!
Old 02-18-2006, 10:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Originally Posted by LowOrbit' post='242348' date='Feb 18 2006, 08:53 PM
BMWDoug,

I like your post! I have been wondering the same thing. When I respond to members regarding 550 vs. 530 v. 525, I generally suggest the latter two.

Here in the U.S., everyone feels they need the best/biggest/fastest and we will never be satisfied. I have seen this over the past 20 years.

In the mid-80s:
1) People were happy in a sedan with a 0-60 around 8 seconds - nowdays, 6 seconds is embarrasing (countless members have called a 530 "slow").
2) Families with three kids were just fine with a 4 door sedan or a wagon. Now, there is a perceived "need" for huge SUVs. Lets face it, they are a huge waste of money and resources, not to mention no fun to drive! Can anyone tell me why they need an X5 when the 530xi has similar useable room and better driving dynamics? Really, I would love any responses.
3) The average size of U.S. new homes have increased something like 20% even though family size has not changed - do we really need these McMansions for parents with one kid?

The worst part about these growing expectations is that it is not supported by growing incomes. For the first time in decades, the average income savings rate is negative. Yes, most of us here can easily afford these items, but the feeling that we "need" them is disturbing.

So if one is looking at a 550 vs. 530, do yourself a favor and get the 530 and use the $8K savings for the 50" plasma TV and audio system you must have.

I will get off my soapbox now.

That being said, I'm going to play the PowerBall now and will buy an M5, M6 and X5 4.8 if I win!

I have to agree this too! Early 80's 200hp was HUGE and family sedan with 150hp was considered fast! Today those figures are nothing. But industry produce what people buy! So simple. Of cource hunger grows...

Skaffa

Quick Reply: What's the deal with wanting more Engine Power? 525-530-550-M5? Wh