E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What's the best/reliable radar detector?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 11:17 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

V1, has already payed for itself.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='233631' date='Feb 2 2006, 03:04 PM
has anyone heard of officers using radar detector detectors? (that are used to spot cars that have radar detectors in them)

i find it a weird coincidence that all the traffic tickets ive ever received, ive gotten them when i was using my radar detector. ever since i stopped using the detector (over 4 years ago) ive gotten no tickets.

maybe im just a smarter driver now?

There are only 2 places in the USA where radar detectors are illegal.

Washington, DC
Virginia

So... unless you live in DC or VA, it is unlikely you have encountered a Radar Detector-Detector. However, even in VA or DC, you are not likely to get caught with a radar detector. I know, because I grew up in DC. I have never seen or heard of anyone getting a ticket for a radar detector.

In DC, you need to worry more about photo radar, and photo traffic lights.
Also all Federal installations of NASA and Dod (i.e. all military installations and NASA Space Centers). Cannot speak to EPA or AEC installations.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:38 AM
Senior Members

V1 hand down!
Old 02-02-2006, 11:40 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tubbee' post='233549' date='Feb 2 2006, 10:14 AM
Hi all,

Thinking of picking up a radar detector, what's the best and most reliable one?

Also, anyone here from Los Angeles? Where can I check them out.

Cheers
Tubbee
Upgrade to CIP 20.01.00.

Sorry, Znod, couldn't resist.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:50 AM
JDN
Contributors

Been driving with a V1 for ten years -- never been ticketed during that time.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:09 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='233631' date='Feb 2 2006, 12:04 PM
There are only 2 places in the USA where radar detectors are illegal.

Washington, DC
Virginia

So... unless you live in DC or VA, it is unlikely you have encountered a Radar Detector-Detector. However, even in VA or DC, you are not likely to get caught with a radar detector. I know, because I grew up in DC. I have never seen or heard of anyone getting a ticket for a radar detector.

In DC, you need to worry more about photo radar, and photo traffic lights.
I lived in Bethesda years ago. Back then I had a Passport and was aware of it being illegal in VA (so would remove it before going there), but wasn't aware of DC. Got pulled over on the corner of M & Wisconsin, ticketed and radar detector impounded. Paid ticket and got it back. When the cop explained that I'd get it back after I paid the ticket, I said, let me make sure I understand this--it's illegal, but if you pay the fine you get it back? Wonder if they do that with drug busts???!!!!
Old 02-02-2006, 12:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530e G30
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by tubbee' post='233549' date='Feb 2 2006, 07:14 PM
Hi all,

Thinking of picking up a radar detector, what's the best and most reliable one?

Also, anyone here from Los Angeles? Where can I check them out.

Cheers
Tubbee

Valentine 1
#1 no doubt
Old 02-02-2006, 01:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I lived in Bethesda years ago. Back then I had a Passport and was aware of it being illegal in VA (so would remove it before going there), but wasn't aware of DC. Got pulled over on the corner of M & Wisconsin, ticketed and radar detector impounded. Paid ticket and got it back. When the cop explained that I'd get it back after I paid the ticket, I said, let me make sure I understand this--it's illegal, but if you pay the fine you get it back? Wonder if they do that with drug busts???!!!!

2 things....

First of all... How the F^&K can you get pulled over at M & Wisconsin? You'd never get a parking spot. Did they just tell you to double park? (for those here not familiar with DC, that intersection is quite possibly THE busiest intersection in the entire USA)

Second... they had to give back the detector, because you are still allowed to use it in other states, including your home in MD. In fact, I question the legality of taking it from you until you paid the ticket.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i; Alpine White/Black Dakota/MSport/SAT/IAS/Driver Assistance/ConveniencePkg/Prem Pkg 2/4 Zone AC/Side-Top Cameras/HUD & Black panel/BMW Apps-iPhone 4 Media/M Decklid spolier /Ventureshiled clear bra/ V1 -Ordered 4/9/11, Production 4/19, Shipped on Martorell 4/23,Arrived Port Hueneme 5/19,Delivered 5/21/11

V1 no doubt. Received mine as a XMAS present and its already paid dividends. Fits perfectly above mirror, on passenger side, with just enough clearance for full utilization of passenger sun visor.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 F10 528i - Imperial Blue, Oyster/Black, Premium, Premium 2, Cold Weather, Xenons.

Valentine 1... all the way... 15 min from the ups man to discretely installed using instructions found here at e60.net.

Saved me so many times already.......

Quick Reply: What's the best/reliable radar detector?