E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Whats the 5 like in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 05:57 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Currently a 2000 540i 6spd

Originally Posted by Gav530d' date='Feb 21 2005, 02:02 PM
Many of you guys on here are used to driving on snow, in England when it snows the country grinds to a halt. I'm a bit? worried what my 530D going to behave like,with? 275/35 18" Bridgestone S03s, hard dynamic drive, auto and 620nm torque at only 2000 rpm.

Any suggestions.

Gavin
[snapback]92916[/snapback]
"The Potenza S03 is Bridgestone's new global flagship ultra high performance tyre"

Does anyone know of a tire company that has their flagship ultra high performance tire work well in the snow?

Or read another way: Get some bicycle tires (ie: 220's) that are made for the snow, put them on steel wheels and use those when needed.

I have a 2000 E39 540 that stops just as well as the best of them in the snow when I have my winter tires on. What most people have a hard time coming to grips with is that 0-60 times shouldn't matter when it's icy out... 4-wheel drive does not help one stop in the snow.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

I got really icy road yesterday and have to say that when DSC is on car is not even fun! DSC comes on sharply after slide has already going on, then of course, it has to correct when first correction goes over. But if you don't like to push car so hard it's relatively nice. But if pushed I take DSC and DTC completely off.

Other thing is that engine sound is too quiet to drive by ear!

Just feel little scared when thinking:"what if...?" It' rather expensive car!

Skaffa
Old 03-01-2005, 04:49 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 525iA (E60)

Guys,
Can someone comment on the following issue: I have often heard that skidding to get out the snow can be very harmful for you automatic transmission and it can be easily damaged! How bad can it be? And What can you do to try avoiding it?
Old 03-01-2005, 01:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by Gav530d' date='Feb 21 2005, 04:02 PM
Many of you guys on here are used to driving on snow, in England when it snows the country grinds to a halt. I'm a bit? worried what my 530D going to behave like,with? 275/35 18" Bridgestone S03s, hard dynamic drive, auto and 620nm torque at only 2000 rpm.

Any suggestions.

Gavin
[snapback]92916[/snapback]
Hi Gavin,

Best leave it at home!

Rgds

Merv
Attached Thumbnails Whats the 5 like in the snow-beemer_003.jpg  
Old 03-01-2005, 02:05 PM
Members

I just solved my driving in the snow problem. bought my wife one of these...
Attached Thumbnails Whats the 5 like in the snow-picture.jpg  
Old 03-02-2005, 03:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by Gav530d' date='Mar 1 2005, 06:05 PM
I just solved my driving in the snow problem. bought my wife one of these...
[snapback]95789[/snapback]
Out of interest which X3 engine choice are going for. I was wondering if you had driven the 2.0D. My wife wants BMW next as ML is ready for change but can't decide X3 or 5.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:25 AM
Senior Members

I have NO problems in snow at all, with winter tires/tyres of these kind-

bridgestone blizzaks LM-22 on smaller wheels.

They really work great.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:56 AM
Members

For all those living in winter wonderland, solve all your snow problems with the new BMW 5 series.... In Geneva, tomorrow they'll launch the xdrive technology in 5 series. Similar technology with those of the X3's and the newer X5. I'll have a peek at it.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:25 AM
Members

My Ride: '05 545i Sport Package 6-speed, cold weather package, premium sound '07 Mercedes GL450 '07 Porsche 997 Carrera S

I cannot get over how well the 545 handles in the snow with the Pirelli wintersport tires I put on...We've gotten some decent snow storms here in NY and the car has performed excellent under those conditions. In fact it actually handles in the snow better than Jeeps I've had...The 545 handles much better in the snow than my 540 and M3 did, so it's nice to have the confidence to actually take the car out in the snow when needed. The Pirelli's not only provide great traction in the snow and rain, but also have some good handling characteristics in corners at speed in the dry. I picked them up from Tire Rack mounted and balanced on ASA rims for about $1000. Well worth it for piece of mind. I would never dare take the car out with the OE Dunlop runflats as I don't have a death wish.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:25 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by skaffa' date='Feb 25 2005, 05:17 AM
I got really icy road yesterday and have to say that when DSC is on car is not even fun! DSC comes on sharply after slide has already going on, then of course, it has to correct when first correction goes over. But if you don't like to push car so hard it's relatively nice. But if pushed I take DSC and DTC completely off.

Other thing is that engine sound is too quiet to drive by ear!

Just feel little scared when thinking:"what if...?" It' rather expensive car!

Skaffa
[snapback]94197[/snapback]
I was playing around with my car the other night in the snow, and I'm puzzled by the DSC problems. With DSC on, my car behaved fantastically. I was driving at low speeds, so perhaps this is the difference. I could leave the car in 1st gear from a stop, and floor the gas while making a turn at an intersection with no problem at all. Anytime I gave it too much gas, the DSC came on and smoothly interrupted power. If the car started to spin, DSC braked the outside front wheel to convert the spin into a slide, then regained traction. I slid around quite a bit, and really felt the car handled beautifully, albeit with poor traction due to the tires.

The conditions were quite slippery, with a couple inches of unplowed snow on the roads. My tires are not great in snow - Michelin Pilot Sport A/S OEM sizes on the 18" wheels. Also, I have a manual which gives me quite a bit more control over the car than an auto, so perhaps that is part of the problem with DSC.

Overall, I thought the system worked beautifully. Maybe it's different at higher speeds, on ice, or with a different transmission.

Quick Reply: Whats the 5 like in the snow