E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What is your opinion of xDrive?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 06:22 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by twh
Even in a non-snow climate, the xDrive helps in rain.

There is another benefit. I'm convinced that tires last longer. Since all 4 wheels get traction, the tires wear more evenly.

As far as snow, I'll tell you that I left Pittsburgh last year at 5PM the evening the major blizzard started and drove home to Fairfax. Took me 9 hours to get home. The conditions were as bad as I've ever seen (and I'm from Chicago). Penn Turnpike was a mess and I-70 was even worse. I admit it was dicey, but without xDrive I would have never made it without incident.
I bought my Xi drive for added wet traction and snow traction.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Originally Posted by ottawarealtor
. Of course the xdrive suckers, I mean owners will say " seriously, there's no difference, it the best thing ever". Just think about how much actual time ther is a good amount of snow on the ground in your area as opposed to no snow, are you gonna buy an xdrive because of actual snow on the ground for maybe two weeks combined? And miss out on all of that dry asphalt waiting to be conquered for the other 50 weeks in the year? And I don't even run winter tires, I just drive.
my thoughts EXACTLY. unfortunately, RWD's are special order at all of the bmw/m-b dealers here in SW PA

my V8 german sled is only running all season's this year and as long as my fuel tank is atleast 50% full, i dont even slip!
Old 12-27-2010, 06:44 AM
Members

Anyone can drive a RWD on flat land. Come to the mountains and an xi will eat you guys alive. Happy to bet the "professionals" among us any amount of money on my roads right now, your RWD versus my xi.

Getting you to start off on a steep incline with hard packed and you guys are toast. Twisty at speed an you are toast.

Again, driving flat straight lines my 8 year old can do with a RWD.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:54 AM
Members

Here in NNJ we get a bit of snow. Add to that very hilly areas plus steep driveways, and ADW is very handy. Add to that the advantages in the dry and rain, and you cant beat it ...if it's reliable.
BTW the AWD costs ~$2k. A set of snows with cheap wheels will cost about half of that and it's only temporary. Then you have to deal with sensors etc.

Our biggest concern is when we are out and it starts to snow. AWD is always there.

FWD is very good and it's the reason we had our S80 for 10 years, but BMW cant figure out FWD so AWD is the next choice.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:04 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Personally, RWD would be the last thing I'd want to drive in snowy conditions - regardless of tires.

The problem with BMW xi is that you sacrifice performance with this option. If I was serious about wanting a good balance between AWD and performance I would be looking at Audi or Subaru.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 bmw 530xi

Xdrive is fantastic!!!
Originally Posted by jayarras
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm in the process of acquiring my 2nd Bimmer, a '07 530xi with manual transmission. I had a 5 speed E39 previously.

What is the general consensus about BMW's xDrive system? My understanding is that under normal conditions, 60% of power goes to the rear axle and 40% to the front, but that if the car senses slippage, it dynamically allocates power to the axle that needs it most. Is that a correct synopsys? Sounds like what Subaru has had for years.

My question is: does the 40/60 ratio "ruin" the driving experience in your opinion? I'm sure I'll appreciate it in the snow here in the Northeast, but what about the majority "normal" conditions? Also, I understand gas mileage for the 5 series is pretty respectable. Does the xDrive system degrade that in any way? I would have to guess that it has some impact, no?
Old 12-28-2010, 07:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 bmw 530xi

WELL SAID BRO!
Originally Posted by evets
Anyone can drive a RWD on flat land. Come to the mountains and an xi will eat you guys alive. Happy to bet the "professionals" among us any amount of money on my roads right now, your RWD versus my xi.

Getting you to start off on a steep incline with hard packed and you guys are toast. Twisty at speed an you are toast.

Again, driving flat straight lines my 8 year old can do with a RWD.