5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   What you don't like on your E60 (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/what-you-dont-like-your-e60-108974/)

tk7108 01-24-2011 03:21 PM

Just read thru the posts, amazed that no one mentioned the lack of a dipstick.... such a simple device, doesn't just tell me how much oil I've got but the condition. Smell, feel, (taste?) tells you a lot about how the engine is performing. The other item is the over engineered software that runs the car. They've complicated the simple not because they need to but because they can. Had a 125 i as a loaner last week while BMW was re-programming the communications module (a whole nother rant), loved the simplicity. Want the fan higher?- simple rocker switch, change heater setting?- simple dial, but alas no dipstick.
Have had beemers since my '70 2002 (not counting my first Isetta), am still buying 'em,so they're doing something right.

ron_cb550 01-24-2011 03:54 PM

-steering wheel peel
-during winter, the interior squeaks like a mouse in heat..
-drivers seat position. often feel like Stallone in Cliffhanger trying to exit
-oem brakes.
-bodywork gaps
-DEALERSHIPS

otherwise, :wub:

great thread too, thanks, it felts nice knowing we're all in this together..lol

itb76 01-24-2011 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by kreveta (Post 1294939)
2) Hard to see signal turn indicators blinking - steering wheel blocking the view

I learned to do the trunk, no issue.

I'll agree with #2, but it's a very minor annoyance to me. My short list is:

1. The legal disclosure every time I start the car. I tried to code it away; it didn't take. I'll keep trying when I have time.
2. No Ipod adapter or satellite radio. Dealer won't install satellite as my car doesn't have satellite prep. I probably wouldn't like his price anyway. Will install in the coming months.
3. Everyone thinks I'm rich now. :whistle:

Bonziat 01-24-2011 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by tk7108 (Post 1297761)
Just read thru the posts, amazed that no one mentioned the lack of a dipstick.... such a simple device, doesn't just tell me how much oil I've got but the condition. Smell, feel, (taste?) tells you a lot about how the engine is performing. The other item is the over engineered software that runs the car. They've complicated the simple not because they need to but because they can. Had a 125 i as a loaner last week while BMW was re-programming the communications module (a whole nother rant), loved the simplicity. Want the fan higher?- simple rocker switch, change heater setting?- simple dial, but alas no dipstick.
Have had beemers since my '70 2002 (not counting my first Isetta), am still buying 'em,so they're doing something right.

My 04 530 M54 has a dipstick, what year and engine do you have?

nemex12 01-24-2011 09:11 PM

what I really, really hate is the backseats, I hate to say this but I feel more comfortable on an accord. took a long trip (18 hours) and couldnt sleep one minute, there were three of us in the back seat(girlfriend in the front) and I gotta say it, for a sedan it wasnt comfortable to any of us,even the corner seats are a pain in the arss to be in. I really hate my driver to be that comfortable when im going trough hell

BW535xiT 01-25-2011 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by jaycal3 (Post 1295376)
My thoughts exactly!!!

Other than that I love my car, but I will say every time I hear the fricken chime go off I think "WHAT NOW!" even if it is the snowflake telling me its cold outside.

Amen! My heart skips a beat every time that damn snowflake and chime goes off :rolleyes:

ron_cb550 01-25-2011 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by BW535xiT (Post 1298036)
Amen! My heart skips a beat every time that damn snowflake and chime goes off :rolleyes:

You'll get used to it.. nobody else will, though.. I've had countless people make comments along the lines of "what is this, an airplane?"

BW535xiT 01-25-2011 09:00 AM

I generally have no problem with some of the issues folks are pointing out here, but others ring true for certain.

1. Sunglasses holder - I carry mine with me into work and into the house, so not an issue.

2. HVAC controls - yes, slightly annoying to muck through the adjustments and such, but once I have the setting where I like it, it seems to satisfy. Intensity and temp are controlled by the adjustment knobs. (2008 - LCI)

3. Center console storage is fair if you want to store a chapstick and perhaps a cell phone charger - I wish I had the cubby hole under the NAV DVD slot, but I think the NAV computer is back there. The only cars I have seen the cubby in are ones with iDrive, but without NAV.

4. Turn signals are obscured by the steering wheel - This wasn't an issue until I just upgraded to the sport wheel. I just lowered my seat position and all was good.

5. Window quality - this I have a complaint about.... the front side glass is of very poor quality. I can see waves and ripples in it that you'd never see installed in a Honda, Toyota or freaking Pontiac.

6. Reliabilty problems are apparent.... I have the Touring and my rear roll-up cover is not auto-resetting, I have a strange noise coming from my front suspension, I've had 3x HPFP replacements, NAV computer replacement and comfort access problems. Comfort access is generally more of a pain than it's worth - at least until I get a suspect CA module replaced, but they seem to be a common failure item. Sunroof on the E61 leaks, which isn't a problem until the drainage channels become blocked. And they do. The standard vehicle jacks have always been inferior.

7. Dealer maintenance..... Jesus... need I say more? Service advisors act like you are an inconvenience to them when you bring your 26k mile car in for major maintenance it shouldn't need.

8. Throttle response - there is a short delay between slamming on the gas and the car actually going! Is this normal? This causes slight sphincter puckering at certain times! :nono:

9. Auto lock - I wish all doors would unlock when the driver door unlocks.

All said - I still love love LOVE the car for its other qualities. The engine revs high, the torque is great, suspension is tight and the look is mean. On top of that, the touring can carry my junk around when I need to.

pjinca 01-25-2011 09:14 AM

^^^^ +1000 and I'd like to add the paintwork on our cars is subpar at best. This weekend I was washing and waxing both our cars (mine and my wifes new Honda Accord), I can clearly see much more "orange peel" effect on my paint work as opposed to the Honda. I would think for a car originally costing $60k+ the paint would be immaculate. And it's not just my car, a friend that we meet up with virtually every week has a 2010 550i and he had the orange peel sanded down to make the paint work as smooth as the factory should've done - on a $80k car, really?

The only good news I have read recently is that BMW is hearing the voices screaming for more standard features for the price. In Roundel I read that the new X3 is coming standard with BT and iPod connectivity - it's about friggin time BMW!!!! Hopefully, this is a trend that makes it to all models sooner rather than later.

BW535xiT 01-25-2011 10:26 AM

I had every conceivable option installed on my '08 Touring, but the only thing I REALLY wanted was active seat ventilation. The factory paint is indeed less than ideal.

Regarding iDrive, at least they have (slowly) made improvements to the (CIC) controller by adding direct access functions that weren't available until 2009+.

How about ditching the iDrive controller altogether and adding a re-positioned TOUCH SCREEN? If Honda/Toyota can have one, why not BMW? As for the NAV software, you'd think a partnership between BMW and Garmin to utilize Garmin's superior user interface would be a no-brainer.