E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What would you do???

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 01:02 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i 6 speed

OK, here comes the whining: I am really frustrated with my car. I know that I have complained before, but my frustration is still building.

When I ordered my 545i I was soooooooooo excited. The night before delivery I didn't sleep and I took ~ 500 pictures of the car the first week...

That was almost 1 1/2 years ago. Now, I dread when I have to drive it. The issues with the gearbox remain unresolved after several visists to the delaer, the HUD/CD changer still acts up, the IDrive went dark on the weekend, and I have multiple rattles. I have been to the dealer 4 times in 15 months, got 2 software updates, still have no cover over my greasy seat rails (they were exchanged 3 months into the ownership, but after one year, the dealer has not produced the appropriate part!!!).

On Saturday, the SMG did such a violent dowshift (3rd to 2nd) that it scared the living daylights out of me and my family. Then, I had a guest from work in my car on Sunday and after 5 min he looks at me and asks me "What is wrong with your car? It vibrates and shudders every time you come to a stop? And what is that click/clack sound when you shift?". But the dealer only says "cannot reproduce".

I catch myself looking at brochures of Lexus. Wow, that would have NEVER happened 2 years ago. After all, I have been driving BMWs for 20 years.

Good, I got this off my chest. What do you all think? Am I overreacting, should I just sell the car, should I keep trying to get it fixed, or what?
Old 01-31-2006, 01:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i

Sorry to hear. To be honest, I would sell the car if I was financially comfortable. Seems like you gave it chances, but nothing has been resolved.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

You are not over reacting IMO. I would not keep the car for a minute. To have a clear conscience, I would either sell it outright with full disclosure or trade it in detailing the things that must be done before the car should be sold. I would then consider all the alternatives you might be interested in including BMW's, drive them all, and buy what I liked the best.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:09 PM
Contributors

i'd trade it for something else. life's too short!
Old 01-31-2006, 01:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by drjochen' post='232602' date='Jan 31 2006, 04:02 PM
OK, here comes the whining: I am really frustrated with my car. I know that I have complained before, but my frustration is still building.

When I ordered my 545i I was soooooooooo excited. The night before delivery I didn't sleep and I took ~ 500 pictures of the car the first week...

That was almost 1 1/2 years ago. Now, I dread when I have to drive it. The issues with the gearbox remain unresolved after several visists to the delaer, the HUD/CD changer still acts up, the IDrive went dark on the weekend, and I have multiple rattles. I have been to the dealer 4 times in 15 months, got 2 software updates, still have no cover over my greasy seat rails (they were exchanged 3 months into the ownership, but after one year, the dealer has not produced the appropriate part!!!).

On Saturday, the SMG did such a violent dowshift (3rd to 2nd) that it scared the living daylights out of me and my family. Then, I had a guest from work in my car on Sunday and after 5 min he looks at me and asks me "What is wrong with your car? It vibrates and shudders every time you come to a stop? And what is that click/clack sound when you shift?". But the dealer only says "cannot reproduce".

I catch myself looking at brochures of Lexus. Wow, that would have NEVER happened 2 years ago. After all, I have been driving BMWs for 20 years.

Good, I got this off my chest. What do you all think? Am I overreacting, should I just sell the car, should I keep trying to get it fixed, or what?
I'll try to give you some sound advice.

If you love your car aside from the issues, but the dealer is NOT fixing it to your satisfaction. then go to another dealer if available. If they cannot do the job to your satisfaction, sell the car.

As a previous Lexus owner, I know that they are reliable but can get boring after awhile. The new LS 460 looks nice. The current GS430 will be disappointing compared to the 545i.

You have to make the call as to how much happiness cost? Remember that if you sell, you'll get hit with depreciation.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

I would trade in at your dealer and get a new 550. Make sure they sympathize with your problems when you talk about $$$. I have an 06 550 with 4000 miles, I dont know when your problems started with your car, but I havent had ANY software or mechanical issues. I think BMW has resolved most issues with the 06 models. I can understand how much you appreciate the driving dynamics of the E60 and would hate to see you drive another manufacturer and regret it after 3 weeks. Good Luck whatever decision you make.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Thanks everyone. I think I will try a different service Dept. first (if they take my car...).
Maybe I should just test drive a Lexus to get it out of my system forever...
Old 01-31-2006, 03:23 PM
Contributors

You are behaving correctly. You pay lot of $$$ for you car. Do you believe in a trade off? Maybe that will be best bet for you right now.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 - 520d M Sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Black Dakota Leather Sports Seats electric- Auto Climate - Piano Black Bamboo - Antracite Headlining - Business Media Kit - Sat Nav - Bluetooth - CD Changer - Auxillary Port and USB - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Advanced Voice Rec - Auto Dim Mirror - Privacy Glass - 5 Year Service Inclusive Previous -06 - 525 M Sport - Steptronic - Sapphire Black - Black Nappa Leather Sports Seats - Auto Climate - Alluminium Cubed Interior - Anthracite Headliner - Business CD with Auxillary Port - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Bluetooth - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Spare Wheel kit - Advanced Voice Rec

Originally Posted by drjochen' post='232602' date='Jan 31 2006, 10:02 PM

If I were you I would write a letter to MD BMW in US outlining all the issues that you have with the car and mentioning that your dealer is as useful as an ash tray on a motorbike. Tell you have been driving BMW's for 20 years and that its not good enough. Fight them on it and become a royal pain in the backside, keep on mailing him until the issue is resolved and if he does not resolve the issues then mail MD BMW Germany. I had similar issues and was eventually facilitated. I have my new car now and am beaming from ear to ear everytime I drive it!!!!!
Old 01-31-2006, 04:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I would have dumped the car a long time ago. I'm amazed you still are holding on for so long. I think you got a bad one. I feel for ya. I think its partly your dealer... they're not doing their part to make your car enjoyable.

Trade it for the 550. If you want to risk it agian. But what are the chances of getting TWO lemons in a row?

M45? GS 400? LS460?