E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 12:57 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

My car which arrived today (2005 530i w MSports pack) has the 18" 245/40 DUNLOP runflats.

I had already negotiated with the dealer to swap the runflats with non runflats at no charge.

However, I recently saw a post (I think from Vern) which stated that Dunlop says all tyres with manufacture date week 43 2004 and later are the new (hopefully improved design).

My car arrived with Dunlop runflats with manufacture DATE: week 48 2004.

Assuming these are the new design what would you do.

A) Keep the Runflats?
Make the dealer change to Non Runflats before I collect the car?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by BMW#4' date='May 18 2005, 03:57 PM
My car which arrived today? (2005 530i w MSports pack) has the 18" 245/40 DUNLOP runflats.

I had already negotiated with the dealer to swap the runflats with non runflats at no charge.

However, I recently saw a post (I think from Vern) which stated that Dunlop says all tyres with manufacture date week 43 2004 and later are the new (hopefully improved design).

A) Keep the Runflats?

[snapback]130296[/snapback]
Change to non runflats.

I originally had the 2003 week 1 RF dunlops, then 2005 week 9 RF goodyears and now changed to 19" continental non RF which are by far the best riding of the 3. Plus you can repair them. Downside of course you have to fit daft space saver in the case of a puncture.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:46 PM
JDN
Contributors

Keep the run flats. The biggest kick was noise and the new ones are not noisy. They are the safest tire on the market. I blew two at once on the same side without swerving. Try that with non run flats. They have also protected my wheels from curb rash. After 13 months, I have no curb rash -- I'm not that good.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

I liked my Dulops too until they got very loud. If it wasn't for the noise I'd say no issue, stay with them. They're a little stiff but have great turn-in & response.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i - Titanium Grey/Grey/SMG/Nav/sports pack/premium pack/sirius prep

Originally Posted by BMW#4' date='May 18 2005, 03:57 PM
My car which arrived today? (2005 530i w MSports pack) has the 18" 245/40 DUNLOP runflats.

A) Keep the Runflats?

[snapback]130296[/snapback]
Keep the RF's. I can vouch for them - they saved me once. I only got rid of them because of the noise.

Nick
Old 05-18-2005, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

If you keep the runflats and they make noise, it's likely that BMW will give you new ones.

Look at the cost of these tires -- it might be worth it to take the Dunlops, put some miles on them, and see what happens. If they get noisy, you just drove around 9000 miles on expensive tires for free. If you take non runflats at delivery, you're on your own as far as getting replacement tires, etc.

You can always get non runflats later so why not roll the dice now and take the Dunlop runflats?
Old 05-18-2005, 09:19 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='May 18 2005, 10:03 PM
If you keep the runflats and they make noise, it's likely that BMW will give you new ones.

Look at the cost of these tires -- it might be worth it to take the Dunlops, put some miles on them, and see what happens.? If they get noisy, you just drove around 9000 miles on expensive tires for free.? If you take non runflats at delivery, you're on your own as far as getting replacement tires, etc.

You can always get non runflats later so why not roll the dice now and take the Dunlop runflats?
[snapback]130440[/snapback]
That sounds like good advice. However, my only concern is that BMW#4 appears to be from South Africa -- would BMWSA be as accomodating as BMWNA has been with regard to this issue?
Old 05-18-2005, 10:10 PM
Senior Members

Thank you all for the great feedback.

I was also concerned that so far it seems to be only BMW NA that is doing the free replacements.

Perhaps l need to pre-negotiate with the dealer that if the noise starts, l'll be covered by them if BMW SA doesn't play ball.