E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What type of transmission do you have part II

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 04:15 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i SMG. Titanium Grey with Grey interior and Anthracite wood.
Red face

Anyone reading this should check out this thread of mine.

545 in the shop

I am not being critical of the SMG, I personally love it. I will have to see what happens though.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:21 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Feb 14 2005, 09:08 AM
I then called BMW roadside for help and when they asked me whether or not I was in a safe place, I mistakenly said yes.? Well, I called at 7:15 AM and the flatbed came around 11:30 AM, only a little over 4 hours waiting.
[snapback]90013[/snapback]
While stuck at a gas station and in need of a flatbed, I called bmw roadside assistance and my plea for help was answered by "that gas station does not exist." I continue on the phone for a good 20 minutes at 3:00 in the morning and nothing. I then call AAA and get a tow truck within 30 min.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Originally Posted by heezy545i' date='Feb 14 2005, 10:21 PM
[quote name='speedracerF4i' date='Feb 14 2005, 09:08 AM']
I then called BMW roadside for help and when they asked me whether or not I was in a safe place, I mistakenly said yes.? Well, I called at 7:15 AM and the flatbed came around 11:30 AM, only a little over 4 hours waiting.
[snapback]90013[/snapback]
While stuck at a gas station and in need of a flatbed, I called bmw roadside assistance and my plea for help was answered by "that gas station does not exist." I continue on the phone for a good 20 minutes at 3:00 in the morning and nothing. I then call AAA and get a tow truck within 30 min.
[snapback]90265[/snapback]
[/quote]

Indeed, AAA has better roadside assistence network than BMW. If, a big if, I ever needed a tow again, I will certainly call AAA first.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Does BMW still use Cross Country? Just curious -- I haven't needed to call them for many years and I do have a AAA membership for other cars, etc.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Originally Posted by bmwin14rsm' date='Feb 14 2005, 07:15 PM
Anyone reading this should check out this thread of mine.

545 in the shop

I am not being critical of the SMG, I personally love it.? I will have to see what happens though.
[snapback]90228[/snapback]

I read your post and it seems that we have the exact same problem. The car won't start. Dealer don't know what to do. Replacing everything SMG related...etc.

Please keep us posted on how your buy back goes. I am afraid that I might need that info later.....

Perhaps our transmission are from the same batch when they were produced. My car's production date is 10/04, what is yours?
Old 02-15-2005, 03:11 PM
Contributors

Iteresting to see what happens with you two, as I have not had any problems so far with the SMG. Knock on Wood. Mine was produced a little after yours Speedracer, so I am curious to see what happens.

Good luck to you bmwin14rsm, guess we will have to wait and see before join you on a drive.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:10 AM
Senior Members

I'll keep you posted CRRobert.

One thing I notice is that the SMG is adaptive to your driving too. Just like the Steptronic. I never thought that was possible with SMG because you, as the driver, are the one who initiate the shift. But on my service order, it says that the dealer reset the adaptive data from the computer. The car felt smoother between shifts. No feathering on the gas was required. Now, it's back to normal. Although I have adapted to the new art of smooth shifting, I still like the car to be smoother on its own.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Feb 16 2005, 11:10 AM
One thing I notice is that the SMG is adaptive to your driving too.? Just like the Steptronic.? I never thought that was possible with SMG because you, as the driver, are the one who initiate the shift.? But on my service order, it says that the dealer reset the adaptive data from the computer.? The car felt smoother between shifts.? No feathering on the gas was required.? Now, it's back to normal.? Although I have adapted to the new art of smooth shifting, I still like the car to be smoother on its own.
[snapback]90829[/snapback]
I'm confused. I, too, didn't think that it was possible to have "adaptive" behavior with the SMG. What I find interesting is that the TIS document that I posted here (and updated today, by the way) I couldn't find anything about the system being adaptive anywhere in it's 58 pages. (It's interesting to note that the TIS document on the Steptronic mentions the adaptive control right away on the summary page.)

Something tells me that this may be another case of dealer confusion and the SMG does not have any adaptive behavior. The smoother shifting may be a function of the driver adapting...
Old 02-16-2005, 07:59 AM
Senior Members

Rudy,

I am quoting my service order word-by-word below. Let me know what you think:
P = Problem reported
A = Action taken

P: Tow in, Customer states dead battery. Car refuses to start.
A: 1628 Found fault code 4F6F hydraulic pump faulty as per PUMA SOP trans. SV1482
Remove and replace transmission. 2300626 installing SMG replacement gearbox.
Re-taught transmission, relearned transmission, and taught in clutch curve.

Appearently, clutch curve is adaptive, or controlled by software so it's programmable.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Interesting. Thanks for the details speedracer. Now I want to know more details on what the SMG adapts to!

For the record, TIS does state that after replacing the SMG transmission, the tech needs to "perform adaptation using DIS tester" so there must be something being "learned" by the unit...

RA__Installing_replacement_transmission__GS6S53BZ_SMG_.pdf

Quick Reply: What type of transmission do you have part II