E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: OK. I had many sleepless nights before deciding on ordering the SMG for my 07' 550i. I would l
SMG
12.84%
Manual
27.03%
Steptronic
60.14%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

What transmission do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 09:56 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 Alpine White 550i, Auburn Int., AS, CA, SMG, Premium Sound, Sport Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Fold Down Rear Seats, HUD, Navi, SIRIUS, M Body Kit

SMG... and I love it.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:00 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

Steptronic
Old 04-14-2006, 10:41 AM
Members

My Ride: '05 545i(Build 10/04)(SMG)Sport,BlkSapphire,Blk,Anthricite,Logic7,CWP,Comfort Seats,Nav,RearBags,Shades,Sirius,Heated/SplitFoldingRearSeats; '18 540i xDrive, White/Mocha, CWP, DAP, DAP+, Lux. Pkg, Prem. Pkg., Executive Pkg., Luxury Seating Pkg
Model Year: 2005,2018

SMG and love it. If it were not available, I would have gone for a 6-speed manual.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:10 AM
Members

I too have been agonizing over this. SMG or Step? I'm leaning toward the Step due to the wife as well. It just wouldn't be fair while I get the Bimmer and she gets the Honda Pilot. I have driven both and the step is just okay. The shifts are a little slow in the Step's manual mode and it seems to suck a little power away from the engine. This is probably due to the torque convertor.

If you love a manual I feel that an SMG is still a great option. The beauty of the SMG is the downshifting. It upshits excellently too, but it is the rev-matching downshifting that puts a stupid smile on my face. Now I only drove the E46 M3 SMG tranny in the second to lowest setting to try the automatic function. From what I have heard this is actually the closest setting to the E60 550i's SMG automatic function. The SMG auto function is jerky in this second setting, but not more so than someone driving a manual. There is a definite lurch, but you can ease the jerkiness by letting off the throttle right before the program would shift for you.

FWIW if I had the car all to myself I would get the SMG in a heartbeat. It downshifts so perfectly that you feel like Schumacher or Montoya preparing to take a bend. The rev-matching is just awesome. It essentially heel toes for you perfectly every single time. I would consider myself an experienced manual driver and there is no way I can heel toe and hit the revs perfectly on every single downshift. It is an art. There is something to be said for the manual as well- there is nothing like the smooth buttery feeling of a perfectly executed heel toe coming around a tight turn, but I know the SMG will do it perfectly for me every time allowing me to concentrate on the throttle and the next corner.

I would say if you love driving manuals the SMG transition is not a difficult transition. However, if you are an auto tranny driver stick with the step. My take is that the feel of the SMG will not make you happy if your used to smooth slush boxes. If you want to heel toe and don't mind shifting during rush hour traffic get the manual. All three trannys are pretty darn good. What you choose depends on your preference, expectations and what you demand from the car.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by ginolee' post='269188' date='Apr 14 2006, 12:10 PM
I too have been agonizing over this. SMG or Step? I'm leaning toward the Step due to the wife as well. It just wouldn't be fair while I get the Bimmer and she gets the Honda Pilot. I have driven both and the step is just okay. The shifts are a little slow in the Step's manual mode and it seems to suck a little power away from the engine. This is probably due to the torque convertor.

If you love a manual I feel that an SMG is still a great option. The beauty of the SMG is the downshifting. It upshits excellently too, but it is the rev-matching downshifting that puts a stupid smile on my face. Now I only drove the E46 M3 SMG tranny in the second to lowest setting to try the automatic function. From what I have heard this is actually the closest setting to the E60 550i automatic function. The SMG auto function is jerky in this second setting, but not more so than someone driving a manual. There is a definite lurch, but you can ease the jerkiness by letting off the throttle right before the program would shift for you.

FWIW if I had the car all to myself I would get the SMG in a heartbeat. It downshifts so perfectly that you feel like Schumacher or Montoya preparing to take a bend. The rev-matching is just awesome. It essentially heel toes for you perfectly every single time. I would consider myself an experienced manual driver and there is no way I can heel toe and hit the revs perfectly on every single downshift. It is an art. There is something to be said for the manual as well- there is nothing like the smooth buttery feeling of a perfectly executed heel toe coming around a tight turn, but I know the SMG will do it perfectly for me every time allowing me to concentrate on the throttle and the next corner.

I would say if you love driving manuals the SMG transition is not a difficult transition. However, if you are an auto tranny driver stick with the step. My take is that the feel of the SMG will not make you happy if your used to smooth slush boxes. If you want to heel toe and don't mind shifting during rush hour traffic get the manual. All three trannys are pretty darn good. What you choose depends on your preference, expectations and what you demand from the car.

Very good post!

GET SMG!!!!!

have you decided yet?
Old 04-15-2006, 04:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

got the stick and my wife can drive a stick

that was one of my prerequisites prior to marriage