E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What is this symbol?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 02:31 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just posted a cry for help with this same symbol yesterday.

In my manual it says there is a fault with the emissions. I got a reply from a fellow member who mentions the fuel cap area. I am just back in from the car and I have found a tear on the rubber that holds the fuel opening/pipe. It is a long hole of about 2cm.

I think the fuel pump will be pulling in air from this area and the sensor has detescted it.

Would you have a look at your own car and see if you can spot any similarities?
Old 10-23-2007, 07:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

the "Check Engine" light is <generally> realated to a fault with an emissions system component. Could be an O2 sensor, misfire in the engine (one time or constant), fuel cap seal, MAF sensor - and many other things related to the emissions systems....not generally a show stopper - but you should have your dealer check it out if it does not clear itself within 3 or 4 cold start cycles (starting and running car from a cold condition). Once I had bad gas (water contaminated) and it caused the engine to misfire - thus tripping the CEL which cleared itself after a few starts. Another time I had an aftermarket CAI where the air filter came loose and tripped the CEL. Again, once I fixed the filter, it cleared itself.

Just to be safe, be sure and check the vital engine gauges (oil, temp, batt) to make sure all is OK. Also, didn't I read there was a potential problem with the SprintBooster if it was plugged in reverse and then changed a terminal could be bent and need to be straightned out? You may want to check it out....

Good luck!!
Old 10-23-2007, 01:18 PM
Members

an OBD II code reader can help you diagnose the problem.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by Thirdy' post='485180' date='Oct 23 2007, 02:18 PM
an OBD II code reader can help you diagnose the problem.

Thirdy curious....are OBD II codes standardized between auto manufacturers and the port plug shape for that matter? I have an XCal II that will read OBD codes on my Fords but don't know if that would be compatible with the BMW?
Old 10-23-2007, 05:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Has nobody seen a message in the iDrive associated with this warning light? You will usually seen a warning like Increased Emissions in the iDrive upon start-up. There is also a way to check for Check Control messgages in the iDrive. Should give at least some indication of the issue.

It's been so long now that I can't recall if the engine light was on or not, but years ago I got the Increased Emissions message on my iDrive. Took it to the dealer as told it was my failure to properly seal the gas cap. I doubted this but started clicking the gas cap three or four time just to make sure. Message went away and has not happened again...
Old 10-23-2007, 06:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='485287' date='Oct 24 2007, 09:20 AM
Has nobody seen a message in the iDrive associated with this warning light? You will usually seen a warning like Increased Emissions in the iDrive upon start-up. There is also a way to check for Check Control messgages in the iDrive. Should give at least some indication of the issue.

It's been so long now that I can't recall if the engine light was on or not, but years ago I got the Increased Emissions message on my iDrive. Took it to the dealer as told it was my failure to properly seal the gas cap. I doubted this but started clicking the gas cap three or four time just to make sure. Message went away and has not happened again...
my said power loss and I truned the engine off and just waited a few mins then restarted it and it was OK
Old 10-23-2007, 08:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 Bimmer, Sports Package, Premium Package, Black/Black, Xenon Lights, 20
Model Year: 2005

Check Engine Light --- usually its just electrical fault... not really your engine...
Old 10-24-2007, 03:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

I think the air leak in the fuel system is most likely. The leak standards on fuel systems are very high, to reduce evaporative emissions.

That is how you can state that a modern car, with the engine running, is cleaner than a car from the 70's with the engine off.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by aznunknownx' post='484877' date='Oct 23 2007, 02:34 AM
Ok I have this sign that turns on when I start the car. I think this was because I had just installed the Sprintbooster earlier. Can someone tell me what this sign mean? And is it risky or dangerous to keep the car going with this sign on?

I have sent you a reply with regard to this symbol previousley. I had the same issue just last week and I posted an enquiry for help.

It turns out I had a small hole (2cm)in the rubber surrounding the fuel filling hole. I used coloured sillicone seal to close this hole and after a few cold starts the warning indicator has gone out.

Have a look to see if you can spot any abnormalities in the fuel filling compartment and if your car is still under warrenty get it fixed. If not try the silicone.

Keep us updated.

Cheers.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by sleeper' post='485894' date='Oct 25 2007, 07:11 PM
I have sent you a reply with regard to this symbol previousley. I had the same issue just last week and I posted an enquiry for help.

It turns out I had a small hole (2cm)in the rubber surrounding the fuel filling hole. I used coloured sillicone seal to close this hole and after a few cold starts the warning indicator has gone out.

Have a look to see if you can spot any abnormalities in the fuel filling compartment and if your car is still under warrenty get it fixed. If not try the silicone.

Keep us updated.

Cheers.
so is this hole common on our cars?
what will make this hole?

Quick Reply: What is this symbol?