E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What are the signs that its time for NEW BATTERY?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 01:33 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Is intermittent passenger seatbelt, restraint, airbag errors also a sign of a dying battery? I think I saw that someplace but I can't find it using the search. My battery is 5 years and 3 months old. I know it's time to change it but just want to confirm if the intermittent errors are a sign.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:53 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just ordered may battery from here battery mega store the one i ordered was AX 595 850 it was to replace a 800cc 80ah on a 57 plate 520d m sport UK version(build 09/07)

problem i was having was, to rest the time all the time, if i put a good battery manager on it over night i did not get any fault's till i went out in it, it started ok every time had no problems with that.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i

does a dim idrive indicate a weak battery? I've noticed my idrive screen is somewhat dim lately especially on start up its pretty dim. I had the brightness set right in the middle of the bar. Turned the brightness up a little today, and it got better. I'll check tomorrow if it gets any brighter on start up with the setting high.

What brightness settings do you guys set your idrive at?
Old 01-11-2011, 07:00 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Eoji that sounds more like a dying screen panel issue to me.

Any other symptoms?
Old 01-11-2011, 07:29 PM
Members

the car just goes crazy then after it dies the batt light comes on. The bad thing is that you have to keep jumping the car....
Old 01-12-2011, 05:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Eoji that sounds more like a dying screen panel issue to me.

Any other symptoms?
nope its just pretty dim. Heres a picture i took. Crappy iphone pic so i had to take the picture somewhat close, thats my current setting too. The sun shining in doesn't really help too lol.. i'll take another picture tonight. But for now heres what i have. Should it look this dim at this setting? Maybe i should just turn it max? lol.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:07 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eojj
does a dim idrive indicate a weak battery? I've noticed my idrive screen is somewhat dim lately especially on start up its pretty dim. I had the brightness set right in the middle of the bar. Turned the brightness up a little today, and it got better. I'll check tomorrow if it gets any brighter on start up with the setting high.

What brightness settings do you guys set your idrive at?
There is a service bulletin out I believe regarding a faulty warm-up circuit for the iDrive LCD panel. If it happens when the car is parked in cold weather and then gets better as the car warms, that might be the issue.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:16 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jm545i
There is a service bulletin out I believe regarding a faulty warm-up circuit for the iDrive LCD panel. If it happens when the car is parked in cold weather and then gets better as the car warms, that might be the issue.
Interesting, that might be the case. If i remember correctly it does get more bright after a while. Its been cold as hell lately too! Can you direct me to the service bulletin? Or where can i find it, thanks.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:26 AM
Nocrapplease

Originally Posted by dm47rust
What are the signs that its time to get a new battery for the E60? Do you hear it in the crank when starting the engine? Lately, I've been getting more warning lights coming on. The latest is the Power Window Anti Trap Light. There's very little documentation on it in the manual. I read that it could be related to a dying battery. Does anyone have experience with this?
normally the battery running flat, or not holding the charge, on hi drain cars, electronic errors coming up on the dash, some BMW have a green neon light on the battery, if this has gone out its shot, but any good battery company can test it for free and advise on the health, saves guessing, but if you change go for a AGM
Old 01-12-2011, 07:51 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eojj
Interesting, that might be the case. If i remember correctly it does get more bright after a while. Its been cold as hell lately too! Can you direct me to the service bulletin? Or where can i find it, thanks.
I am sorry, I swear it wasn't a hallucination, but I can't seem to find it quickly. Will keep my eyes open and PM you if I do. - J

Quick Reply: What are the signs that its time for NEW BATTERY?