E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What are the signs that its time for NEW BATTERY?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 03:20 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

my car died after i left the lights on for just a few hours. i gave it a 10 hour charge on 6amps. feels strong now
Old 01-09-2011, 03:28 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hurst01
Let's talk about this a bit. Times are not like they used to be, when if the starter was getting a bit sluggish the battery needed changing. These cars with the more sophisticated electronics require more "reserve" power to operate them. They may still have enough power to start the vehicle but the reserve power is not enough to operate the system before and during starting. Just because the starter turns it doesn't mean it has the power to operate the electronics as it should.
Case in point: I live in Southern Indiana and my Son lives in Chicago. Living in Chicago, he doesn't use his car as much as it should be used. He has a 2007 BMW 335i with 17,000 miles on it. Most of this mileage is accumulated driving home what time he is able to make the trip. Lately, he has been getting warnings about all four tires being flat, Transmission not changing, CAUTION! BATTERY AT 50% CAPACITY, and other lights indicating all kinds of warnings. The car still started and drove fine. He came home for Christmas and while home decided to have his car serviced while it was still under warranty. Even though it has only 17,000 miles, the warranty will expire because of time in February. They changed oil, flushed the brakes and made a few other software upgrades and adjustments. They called and said the battery checked weak, even after charging. Now, this is where the kicker comes in. Would you think the battery would be covered under warranty? Guess again.
I have been in the automotive repair business for many years. Problem is, since I had to retire several years ago, I have no equipment to do diagnoses on his car. I am still listed as a repair facility at the dealership for buying parts. My Son gave the OK to change the battery, simply because they told him that the car required a special battery and had to be re-programmed after the installation of the battery, which is true. The battery and installation was a bit over $350 but they discounted it to be $252 after my discount.
But, any battery of the same recommendation and amperage requirements would have worked and a good repair facility with up-to-date equipment would be able to reprogram what it needed. Getting back to what we were talking about. Yes, a weak battery will give all kinds of warning lights that are not necessarily there. Take your car to a repair facility, or someplace like Auto Zon, Advance or other parts place and have the alternator and battery checked. I say alternator because it may not have enough output to keep the

Ed

Thanks for the summary Ed. Can you tell me why the need for the programming. What's involved. How long can the car operate before the programming after installing a new battery on my E60?

Thanks,

dan
Old 01-09-2011, 03:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Batteries don't respond well to infrequent use (BMW's own policy is such that a car driven under 6K or so has an "adverse driving profile" and it won't be warrantied).

A battery maintainer can work wonders for a car that's driven only infrequently. This bad boy can sometimes revive a failing battery from its deathbed and will otherwise keep the battery ready for action.

Amazon Amazon

For cars that aren't driven daily, a battery tender can be a sound investment.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:45 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Christmas lights in your dash and iDrive

Originally Posted by tsaros
If the indicator mentioned above is not green then it´s time for a new one, or at least it´s time for a good charging.
Also as you say random warninglights that come and go could be a tell tale sign.
How old is your current battery?
+1 This is true but don't start troubleshooting elsewhere just because you see green. Out of the 7 BMWs I've owned (I currently own 3) the batteries have been putting out less than normal even when indicator is green. i do not use OEM batteries for the fact that they are underpowered and over-rated. German electronics have always left much to be desired......mechanical stuff that's a different story. But it's hard to rate these days with the mechanics being dependent on the electrical components. I have 4 bad window regulators on an E46 with 49K miles...car is still beautiful and has needed little maintenance....except for the infamous window regualtors. I've replace each one twice already. There wont be a third. lol
Old 01-09-2011, 03:48 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Originally Posted by jm545i
Underneath panel in trunk on right (passenger side) rear, alonside the spare tire well.

lift up the spare tire cover

Remove the plug indicated by the red circle.

What are the signs that its time for NEW BATTERY?-dsc06206.jpg

Remove side cover,

What are the signs that its time for NEW BATTERY?-dsc06203.jpg
Old 01-09-2011, 04:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Silber-grau/grau. Vanilla flavored except for cold WX pkg.

Originally Posted by dm47rust
Silly question but, where do you find the battery? I see the terminals under the hood but not the actual battery.

Originally Posted by jm545i
Underneath panel in trunk on right (passenger side) rear, alonside the spare tire well.
While you are in there, check for water under the spare and in the battery well.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:37 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
Christmas lights in your dash and iDrive

+1 This is true but don't start troubleshooting elsewhere just because you see green. Out of the 7 BMWs I've owned (I currently own 3) the batteries have been putting out less than normal even when indicator is green. i do not use OEM batteries for the fact that they are underpowered and over-rated. German electronics have always left much to be desired......mechanical stuff that's a different story. But it's hard to rate these days with the mechanics being dependent on the electrical components. I have 4 bad window regulators on an E46 with 49K miles...car is still beautiful and has needed little maintenance....except for the infamous window regualtors. I've replace each one twice already. There wont be a third. lol

You don't recommend going with the OEM battery, which model and make Battery do you suggest?
Old 01-09-2011, 06:11 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport Alpine White Options: Nav, Cold Weather Pkg, Comfort Pkg, Black Dakota Leather, Folding Rear Seat Mods: Dinan Free Flow Exhaust, Dinan Stage 2 Software, Dinan High Flow Intake System, Dinan High Flow Throttle Body, Carbon Fiber Front Strut Tower Brace, HID 8000k Fogs, LED Super White Side Markers Coming Soon: HID 8000k Angel Eyes and Lowbeams

I just had my battery replaced under warranty. I broght my car in because the active steering light kept coming on when I would start my car; the SA told me that this is a sigh that the battery was dying.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

also check the battery manufacture date, which is stamped on top of the negative battery post. if the battery is 5 years or older, it's at or near the end of its life.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:03 PM
Members

Thanks. Any recommendation on the best after market battery and where to buy?

Quick Reply: What are the signs that its time for NEW BATTERY?