E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What is a reasonable amount of time to get an assessment on my wrecked

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 09:48 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The BMW shop has had my car since Thursday (so today will be the 4th business day). What is a reasonable amount of time for me to give to them to determine whether my car is repairable or totalled? It has been 10 days since my accident and I do not know anything more than I did the day that it occurred.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

I'd guess about a week is normal. In your case, remember that 5-6 of the last 10 days were weekends or holidays. I'd guess that is slowing the response a bit.

I know this is frustrating. Hang in there.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:55 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by iversonm' post='515141' date='Jan 8 2008, 01:53 PM
I'd guess about a week is normal. In your case, remember that 5-6 of the last 10 days were weekends or holidays. I'd guess that is slowing the response a bit.

I know this is frustrating. Hang in there.

Easier said than done, but I understand. I realize about the holiday. They (BMW certified repair center) picked up my car on Thursday and I am eagerly waiting to hear back from them.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:37 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jmsod' post='515142' date='Jan 8 2008, 01:55 PM
Easier said than done, but I understand. I realize about the holiday. They (BMW certified repair center) picked up my car on Thursday and I am eagerly waiting to hear back from them.

I called the shop manager. The car is at least up and they are pulling it apart now. I should know something by the end of the week. He invited me to stop by anytime to check the progress which I appreciate. He also stated that the damage is worse than he expected and the turbo-charged engine does present some difficulty in repairing it. Keeping my fingers crossed that the damage is enough to total.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:24 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by jmsod' post='515169' date='Jan 8 2008, 03:37 PM
I called the shop manager. The car is at least up and they are pulling it apart now. I should know something by the end of the week. He invited me to stop by anytime to check the progress which I appreciate. He also stated that the damage is worse than he expected and the turbo-charged engine does present some difficulty in repairing it. Keeping my fingers crossed that the damage is enough to total.
That sounds promising. Rumor has it that someone's making wishes about having it fall off the lift in the middle of the night when the shop's closed up.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes Benz e63 AMG

Originally Posted by jmsod' post='515138' date='Jan 8 2008, 01:48 PM
The BMW shop has had my car since Thursday (so today will be the 4th business day). What is a reasonable amount of time for me to give to them to determine whether my car is repairable or totalled? It has been 10 days since my accident and I do not know anything more than I did the day that it occurred.

Patience, young jedi. Patience.

You want the shop manager as an ally, trust me. With the holidays, the start of hte new year, and other typical things, they delay is not unconscionable. If its not evaluated by week's end, then you should begin to get a bit frustrated. These things do take some time...
Old 01-08-2008, 07:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Black/BlacK

Originally Posted by iversonm' post='515185' date='Jan 8 2008, 04:24 PM
That sounds promising. Rumor has it that someone's making wishes about having it fall off the lift in the middle of the night when the shop's closed up.

lmao not a a bad idea
Old 01-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by lawguy' post='515250' date='Jan 8 2008, 07:41 PM
Patience, young jedi. Patience.

You want the shop manager as an ally, trust me. With the holidays, the start of hte new year, and other typical things, they delay is not unconscionable. If its not evaluated by week's end, then you should begin to get a bit frustrated. These things do take some time...

HAHA... No one has ever accused me of being patient and I do not thing anyone ever will. I will try to relax and ride out the process. Thanks.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

Here is some perspective.

How come it only takes a few hours to determine how a person died but for this car it seems to be taking a lifetime?

Old 01-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nickolas_g' post='515631' date='Jan 9 2008, 04:28 PM
Here is some perspective.

How come it only takes a few hours to determine how a person died but for this car it seems to be taking a lifetime?

STOP please?! (j/k) I was beginning to calm down about this whole process. Please don't get me started again.
The shop manager stated that if they do indeed repair the car, after they are finished, the car has to be sent to BMW for an inspection. Maybe, just maybe I will have my car back before Spring begins.....

Quick Reply: What is a reasonable amount of time to get an assessment on my wrecked