E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What is RDS and Volume with Speed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 03:30 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: -2004 BMW 545i. Silver Grey Metalic. with Black Int.: Sport, Navigation, Cold Weather, Comfort Seats, Logic 7, Heated Rear Seats, MP3 Retrofit. (Production date: Jan 2004) -2002 Porsche 911 Cabriolet. Seal Gray with Black Int. & Top: Tiptronic, Heated Seats, Bose Sound.

Can anyone tell me what is RDS is and what the Volume with Speed setting does?

Also, any clue on how many radio station presets you can have?

I'm trying to learns all the capabilities of the iDrive

Thanks
Old 12-23-2006, 04:26 PM
Senior Members

Wow, I never thought I would say this.. DO A SEARCH!

Volume with speed setting is just as it sounds... as you increase your speed, the volume increases. So that the engine/road noise doesn't overpower whatever you are listening to.

RDS, well just do a google search.. would have been easier than posting. Especially since in the past 2 days there have been a few topics created concerning it.
Old 12-24-2006, 05:06 AM
Members

My Ride: My 1st was an '06 530xi, Titanium Silver w/ gray dakota leather, sport pkg. & Nav. Now my 2nd is an '08 650i CP, Space Gray, Blk Dakota, Sprt. Auto, HUD, Sprt. Pkg., Prem. Sound, High Beam Ast. & Comfort Access

Originally Posted by OU812545' post='370637' date='Dec 23 2006, 07:30 PM
Can anyone tell me what is RDS is and what the Volume with Speed setting does?

Also, any clue on how many radio station presets you can have?

I'm trying to learns all the capabilities of the iDrive
Thanks
That reply was a bit harsh. Generally you will find members helpful. The best feature of volume speed is when it is set to high and you are motoring down the highway and have to come to a stop, your volume decreases and doesn't blow your ear drums out. For me it is one of those options that you can't do without once you experience it.

As for the RDS, I believe it assists in how the radio tunes in and keeps the signals of the strongest stations. I am not really versed in this option though.

I have sat. radio and am able to preset 12 stations. I think it is the same in FM mode although the preset screen in I-drive is completely different than the sat. radio screen.

Enjoy your car. I have read my owners manual three times completely. Each time I learned something new about the car. I just learned that you can start the car without keeping pressure on the key like a normal car. Just turn it to the start position, hit it briefly and release. The car will run the starter until the engine turns over, all on its own. Very cool feature, keeps you from banging the starter motor if the engine is running.
Old 12-24-2006, 05:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by my1stbeemer' post='370714' date='Dec 24 2006, 02:06 PM
I just learned that you can start the car without keeping pressure on the key like a normal car. Just turn it to the start position, hit it briefly and release. The car will run the starter until the engine turns over, all on its own. Very cool feature, keeps you from banging the starter motor if the engine is running.
I guess this was the precursor to the "start/stop" button.

ABC
Old 12-24-2006, 06:39 AM
Members

My Ride: -2004 BMW 545i. Silver Grey Metalic. with Black Int.: Sport, Navigation, Cold Weather, Comfort Seats, Logic 7, Heated Rear Seats, MP3 Retrofit. (Production date: Jan 2004) -2002 Porsche 911 Cabriolet. Seal Gray with Black Int. & Top: Tiptronic, Heated Seats, Bose Sound.

Thanks my1stbeemer.

The memembers here have been extreamly helpful. I'm not sure why the harsh reply. I guess the recommenation is for me to use google vs. the forum.
I cannot beleive the amount of hidden features on these cars. I'm actualy a big fan of the iDrive.

Anyways, thanks for the hepful response.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530XI Sapphire Black, Black Int. 6sp, Cold, Prem

Radio Data System, or RDS, is a standard from the European Broadcasting Union for sending small amounts of digital information using conventional FM radio broadcasts. The RDS system standardises several types of information transmitted, including time and station identification. RDS is standard in Europe since the early 90s, but less so in North America.

Radio Broadcast Data System is the official name used for the U.S. version of RDS, though the "RDS" name seems to be at least as common in usage. The two standards are nearly identical, with only slight differences, mainly in which numbers are assigned to each of 31 musical and other programme formats the RBDS system can identify. RBDS was approved by the NRSC, RDS by the EBU.

Both use a 57kHz subcarrier to carry data at 1187.5 bits per second. The 57kHz was chosen for being the third harmonic (3?) of the pilot tone for FM stereo, so it would not cause interference or intermodulation with it, or with the stereo difference signal at 38kHz (2?). The data format utilises error correction. RDS defines many features (see below), including how private (in-house) or other undefined features (such as differential GPS) can be "packaged" in unused programme groups
Old 12-24-2006, 07:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='370716' date='Dec 24 2006, 02:11 PM
I guess this was the precursor to the "start/stop" button.

ABC
Long term precursor. AFAIK, it first appeared as a feature in E39 V8s in 1996 (auto AND manual), then it became standard in E60 autos.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:09 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by OU812545' post='370742' date='Dec 24 2006, 08:39 AM
Thanks my1stbeemer.

The memembers here have been extreamly helpful. I'm not sure why the harsh reply. I guess the recommenation is for me to use google vs. the forum.
I cannot beleive the amount of hidden features on these cars. I'm actualy a big fan of the iDrive.

Anyways, thanks for the hepful response.
I wasn't meaning to be "harsh" at all. I was merely saying that you should do a search. There is a search feature on this forum that has become SO handy for me. I don't think I would have posted in your thread if there hadn't already been 3 other threads started concerning RDS in the past few days. Also, the reason I said "Google" is because I had the same question. I just typed "RDS" in and got a wealth of information in return. I would only suggest using "Google" vs. the forum when it regards something that is so wildly decimated on the internet. In any regard, just try and help yourself before asking others for such readily available information. If you find this harsh as well, then I guess my interpersonal skills are lacking this holiday season.