E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

WHAT RATING IS THERE FOR WHEEL

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 02:45 PM
DTD
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550i 2009 Mod. with tints all around. Got Splitter and Spoiler coming. May do an exhaust.

.................................................. ..............................
.............. STRENGTH? .................................................. .............................

We are talking 19s. I prefer to not have to realign the wheels every 2 months. Also are OEM 17s say 30% stronger than OEM 19s and say 40% stronger than after market non OEM wheels? ( Like ASA AR1 wheels?) I am planning on picking up a few more brand new wheels to match if the little 4 inch pushed flat spot or pancake on the AR 19 wheel is going to cost more than $ 100.00. The wheels only cost new $ 180.00 so why deal with it? Thanks For reading and all your expert Advice. Its a pleasure to work with educated men and women like the E 60 Forum.

Making things happen is what its all about!
Old 01-22-2009, 03:15 PM
DTD
Senior Members

My Ride: 550i 2009 Mod. with tints all around. Got Splitter and Spoiler coming. May do an exhaust.

I already have these wheels and think Boy they Flat Spotted too easy. Maybe the wheel aluminum is soft? It flat spotted from a Pot hole already after two month. I am just looking to either pick up a few more of these ASDA AR-1 wheels to get me over the hump or figure out what the Flat Spoted wheel will cost to repair. If its this easy to bend a 19 rim, then I am figuring that is better to buy a few spares and when there are a few bent and scrapped then I will get them repaired.

Course the Wheel Rating is also what I am after too?

Thanks Dan

Originally Posted by DTD' post='774968' date='Jan 22 2009, 06:45 PM
.................................................. ..................
.............. STRENGTH? .................................................. ..............

We are talking 19s. I prefer to not have to realign the wheels every 2 months. Also are OEM 17s say 30% stronger than OEM 19s and say 40% stronger than after market non OEM wheels? ( Like ASA AR1 wheels?) I am planning on picking up a few more brand new wheels to match if the little 4 inch pushed flat spot or pancake on the AR 19 wheel is going to cost more than $ 100.00. The wheels only cost new $ 180.00 so why deal with it? Thanks For reading and all your expert Advice. Its a pleasure to work with educated men and women like the E 60 Forum.

Making things happen is what its all about!
Old 01-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Members

The only wheel strength standards I know of from the last 10 years of Porsche and BMW ownership is TUV approval. TUV is a German safety spec and means strong and safe at Euro speeds, but I don't know how that is quantified. If you're constantly damaging 19s, you might try an 18" for a while.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:03 PM
DTD
Senior Members

Thanks Cokeefe ~~~~ Just seems like the Aluminum Mag AR~1 wheel dented flat a tad too easy? I am going to see my local Wheel man tomorrow and see what he says. It not like I am running over crators or concrete curbs. The 17 inch OEM 138 seem to handle alot more abuse and banging about. Now I know a little more about what one says when they say "Becareful of 19s!"
I do not even care to know what 20s do? Other tan look good.

Originally Posted by cokeefe' post='775097' date='Jan 22 2009, 10:45 PM
The only wheel strength standards I know of from the last 10 years of Porsche and BMW ownership is TUV approval. TUV is a German safety spec and means strong and safe at Euro speeds, but I don't know how that is quantified. If you're constantly damaging 19s, you might try an 18" for a while.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530I Silver gray with gray leather with Premium Package, Logic 7 Premium sound system with Ipod interface, xenon adaptive headlights, Active steering, Power retractable rear sunshade, Comfort seats, Cold weather package and M5 OEM 166 wheels, Sprintbooster. Ceramic Tint all around, Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach springs, Brake performance Rotors and Axxis ceramic pads.

At some point you are probably better off denting your rims, rather than damaging your suspension. Just my opinion
Old 01-24-2009, 12:33 PM
DTD
Senior Members

Wow I thought there would be a rating for wheels!

I was told by my wheel Repairman Wally that most wheels bend on the inside of rim. I suppose that beacsuse there is less support on that side. I also have a 2" recess from rim edge to spokes. Thats the side my rim flat spotted on the 19 wheel. Going to the Dealer ship on Tuesday to see what the damage total damage is? The wheel may be bent on the inside too. I remembered I have 2 year Wheel Insurance with the CPO. Was part of the deal.

What kind of damage does the suspensuion take with this kind of jarring?