E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What are quick clues that you don't want the car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 08:37 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550
Default What are quick clues that you don't want the car?

So, hey, first post outside of the "New Members" area!

I have a question for you knowledgeable people! I'm shopping for a 550, and I'm probably going to be looking (and maybe buying) next week. I've been investigating for months. There aren't a lot of them for sale near me (not manual transmission, anyway), and they sort of fall into two categories - the prices seem to drop off (by about $7000 ~ $10,000) for ones that have 70,000+ miles.

My question - is it worth the extra $7-$10k to get one that has ~40k/50k miles on it vs. one that's got higher mileage (70k/80k)?

And if I did go for a higher mileage one, what are some clues that I could spot at the dealer that could tell me if it's been taken care of, or if it's been thrashed for every one of its 80,000 miles? Is there an easy give-away?
Old 05-27-2013, 09:02 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 550i M Sport

You know why bmw keep 50k warranty , don't you ?
Getting high mileage car means you need to put money into it
In the end you will end up with high mileage car and and the same cost after all repairs

Last edited by champaign777; 05-27-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:59 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would probably try to shoot for the lower mileage car in any case. More than likely most of these cars will have had 15K mile oil change intervals, so the lower mileage cars would be the better bet...that way you can start a shorter change interval earlier into its lifetime. It might be cheaper and easier to get a warranty for a lower mileage car, also. If you have the VIN number, you can get the full maintenance history from the dealer on any car. At the the 50K mile range you should probably expect:

-Mechatronic seal leakage in transmission (replace seal and go ahead and replace fluid/pan if you plan on keeping it for awhile)
-Leaking brake vacuum pump (a recall item for 550s, should be covered by BMW if not replaced already)
-Lower control arms with blown bushings

If you settle for a high-mileage car, the 545/550s are notorious for problems with leaking valve stem seals which usually show up close to 100K miles. Even so, check for this issue by allowing the car you are considering to idle for about 5 minutes and then floor the throttle. If you see a puff of blue smoke, the valve stem seals are bad and will need replacing. I don't think there is a way to avoid leaking valve stems in any of the V8s as the valve stems are of poor quality and will leak eventually.

Otherwise, the 550 is a solid car...not too much to worry about, but with it being a BMW, it's still full of idiosyncrasies. Best of luck on your search...

Last edited by Jim165; 05-28-2013 at 07:01 AM.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:58 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2014 535 Alpine White

I think it depends on the cars history, i have a high mileage 550i and have owned it for a year and nothing has went wrong with the car and i love every minute in it. It is true parts start to wear out as the car gets older but it doesnt mean it will be a money pit. Some people have low mileage cars and have so many problems with them so as long as the car checkout at the dealer and you take good care of the car it shouldnt be a problem.

P.S. Get a manual, running through the gears will bring a smile to your face and you will have a rare 550i.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:40 PM
New Members

My Ride: 550

Awesome answers, guys, thanks! And yeah, I am only looking at manual transmissions - it's been too long since I had one (high school, actually), and I can't wait to have one again.

Jim165 - is that transmission seal a problem with both manual and automatic? And it's totally reasonable to expect the control arms to have taken some wear and tear after 50-70k miles, that's entirely ok.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:02 PM
Members

If you end up going with a high mileage e60 v8, I would try to buy from an enthusiast that has done most of the preventative maintenance ( cooling system etc) and has steered away from the extended oil change intervals.

If my manual 545i with all options were for sale, you would be getting one with a new vacuum pump booster, oil switch, All German Auto coolant pipe, water pump, tensioner pulley, front tension struts, and every fluid that car has, all replaced. Oh and complete brakes. All done in the last 5 k miles. Oh and new wheels too. And my car just turned 70k miles.

I take care of my stuff, and would think that any other BMW enthusiast would too.

Last edited by squidzilla; 05-28-2013 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Cuz
Old 05-28-2013, 07:05 PM
Members

Originally Posted by xiaodown
Awesome answers, guys, thanks! And yeah, I am only looking at manual transmissions - it's been too long since I had one (high school, actually), and I can't wait to have one again.

Jim165 - is that transmission seal a problem with both manual and automatic? And it's totally reasonable to expect the control arms to have taken some wear and tear after 50-70k miles, that's entirely ok.
Control arms are hit and miss with the heavy e60. Some people are at 100k+ on all original suspension, and others, like me, have had to replace some parts much sooner.

It is a heavy, agile car and that will tax the suspension. Nature of the beast.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:36 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xiaodown

Tranny seal is for autos only, so you're okay on that aspect.

Originally Posted by KLR4LIFE
P.S. Get a manual, running through the gears will bring a smile to your face and you will have a rare 550i.
This +1000. Glad you're looking for a manual, OP. I was looking for one as well, but there were none to be had with the options I wanted. After having this SAT tranny for awhile, I probably should've waited...it absolutely sucks if its not in Sport mode...

Last edited by Jim165; 05-29-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:39 AM
Members

i just hit 140000km's on my 550i, i have a aftermarket warranty that covers everything and programing until 200000km's...

so far, control arms where replaced, i have one wheel bearing that went bad, thermostat went too...

wen i got the car, the drivers side heater did not work, the leather on the replacement is not the same from bmw but its not that dramatic...

great car over all but its an adult car, not a car you want to abu$e...
Old 05-30-2013, 07:17 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Jim165
..... After having this SAT tranny for awhile, I probably should've waited...it absolutely sucks if its not in Sport mode...
+1

Quick Reply: What are quick clues that you don't want the car?