E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What parts of the car is actually Leather?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 09:02 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 525i
Default What parts of the car is actually Leather?

Hello.

I'm doing some internal detailing for my E60 and I was wondering what parts of the interior trim are actually Leather (other than the seats)?

I'm particularly curious about the leather-look trim on the door panels. Is this leather? Wondering if I should put leather protector on this or normal dash protector.

Thanks
Old 11-23-2014, 09:46 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thefatalrisk
Hello.

I'm doing some internal detailing for my E60 and I was wondering what parts of the interior trim are actually Leather (other than the seats)?

I'm particularly curious about the leather-look trim on the door panels. Is this leather? Wondering if I should put leather protector on this or normal dash protector.

Thanks
The Dakota leather used in nearly all BMW seats is a pigmented, urethane coated leather. The molecules of traditional oil-based leather preservatives designed for aniline dyed leather are too large and will not pass through the urethane coating . Oil based leather preservatives will simply sit on the urethane surface until they are removed by your clothing.

Vacuum the leather seats frequently and then use a damp cloth with just water or a very mild soap to remove spilled liquids and any other foreign dirt that can abrade the urethane coating and dull the leather surface.

Then the best preservative for the leather seat (urethane coating), and any other surface such as door panels which seem to be leather like, is the same you would use on any other plastic surface in the car. Also, most leather preservative sold at retail today take into consideration the fact that most leather used in today's cars are pigmented urethane coated leather and will do a good job of preserving the coating and are not oil based.

If you ordered a premium leather you can do the water test by placing a drop of clean water on the leather. If it soaks in and leaves a spot you know you have a porous aniline dyed leather, and can use the oil based leather preservatives.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:50 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 525i

That's a lot of interesting and useful information there. Thank you.

I gather therefore then I can use standard dash protector on my seats.

Is the leather-look trim on the doors urethane coated leather or is it vinyl?

Thus far I have given the seats a good scrub with a brush and Zaino leather cleaner Z9 followed by Zaino leather protectant Z10. I'm not sure whether this is therefore required or was a good thing, in light of the above information.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by BimmerFan52
The Dakota leather used in nearly all BMW seats is a pigmented, urethane coated leather. The molecules of traditional oil-based leather preservatives designed for aniline dyed leather are too large and will not pass through the urethane coating . Oil based leather preservatives will simply sit on the urethane surface until they are removed by your clothing.

Vacuum the leather seats frequently and then use a damp cloth with just water or a very mild soap to remove spilled liquids and any other foreign dirt that can abrade the urethane coating and dull the leather surface.

Then the best preservative for the leather seat (urethane coating), and any other surface such as door panels which seem to be leather like, is the same you would use on any other plastic surface in the car. Also, most leather preservative sold at retail today take into consideration the fact that most leather used in today's cars are pigmented urethane coated leather and will do a good job of preserving the coating and are not oil based.

If you ordered a premium leather you can do the water test by placing a drop of clean water on the leather. If it soaks in and leaves a spot you know you have a porous aniline dyed leather, and can use the oil based leather preservatives.
interesting post
Old 11-23-2014, 07:14 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thefatalrisk
That's a lot of interesting and useful information there. Thank you.

I gather therefore then I can use standard dash protector on my seats.

Is the leather-look trim on the doors urethane coated leather or is it vinyl?

Thus far I have given the seats a good scrub with a brush and Zaino leather cleaner Z9 followed by Zaino leather protectant Z10. I'm not sure whether this is therefore required or was a good thing, in light of the above information.
The leather look trim appears to be urethane coated leather. Any good vinyl protector should do a good job and there are many excellent products on the market.

The Zaino products will not hurt the coated leather, but will stay a little greasy feeling until worn off.

One product I have had good luck with is Einszett Leather Care. This product is made by the same German company that makes Gummi Pflege, the outstanding rubber protector many car detailers swear by. If you have never tried Gummi Pflege it is a must for keeping rubber parts of the car such as window and door seals like new.