E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 01:27 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a couple of months of searching and trying to find the right car, I'm hoping tomorrow to go and but my e60. 2006, 56 plate (Dec 06), under 40k miles, Black with black leather, manual 520d m sport. Can anyone give me any help, questions etc and things to look for when I test drive it. When should pads/discs be changed, what is the service plan for an e60 as I've only ever owned e46 3 series coupes before.

I know I've posted a couple of topics before but I've now found (hopefully) the right one so any advice from you more experienced e60 owners would be a great help

Thanks in advance
Old 08-13-2009, 03:13 AM
Members

My Ride: 525DTM

Bmw is about "inline 6" at least, I can not imagine to go and buy e60 with a 4 cylinder engine... are you 100% sure? you will sell that car after one ride in anything with ENGINE...
Old 08-13-2009, 03:36 AM
Members

Hey kcbabi i'm on the verge of buying a 525d, 6 speed manual with 56,000 k on it. I'd also love to hear any advice from the more experienced owners on what to look out for on the teat drive, ie. gear change, what upgrades if any are essential or recommended ? Thanks.......
Old 08-13-2009, 01:47 PM
sos
Members

Originally Posted by kcbabi' post='974864' date='Aug 13 2009, 09:27 AM
After a couple of months of searching and trying to find the right car, I'm hoping tomorrow to go and but my e60. 2006, 56 plate (Dec 06), under 40k miles, Black with black leather, manual 520d m sport. Can anyone give me any help, questions etc and things to look for when I test drive it. When should pads/discs be changed, what is the service plan for an e60 as I've only ever owned e46 3 series coupes before.

I know I've posted a couple of topics before but I've now found (hopefully) the right one so any advice from you more experienced e60 owners would be a great help

Thanks in advance

This car will still be under warranty, so not too much to panic about. Just make sure it's got good tyres etc....

The i-drive will tell you the condition of the brake pads etc...go and look in the service information menu. Will also tell you when it needs servicing etc....

The E60 runs condition based servicing, which is different to the older generation cars....you bascially do individual bits, as and when required. The car lets you know.

You can extend the warranty in December if you want for further peace of mind, just make sure you tell BMW you have purchased the car if you're getting it outside of the main dealer network.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:51 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I am not real familiar with diesels (not many here stateside) but there seems to be an issue with "swirl flaps" - not sure what they are but if you use the search function at the top right you may find some helpful info on it. Other than that the iDrive will tell yo when service is required - good luck with your purchase
Old 08-13-2009, 01:53 PM
sos
Members

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='975514' date='Aug 13 2009, 09:51 PM
I am not real familiar with diesels (not many here stateside) but there seems to be an issue with "swirl flaps"
Sorted in a 2006 car Revised design.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:14 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by sos' post='975518' date='Aug 13 2009, 02:53 PM

Yokey dokey, good to know thanks
Old 08-13-2009, 03:06 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sos' post='975518' date='Aug 13 2009, 10:53 PM
Sorry to piss on your bonfire but they were not removed until 07 on the LCI models, they where revised in 03 to 06 to 3mm and IMO are still weak after i removed mine!!!!

Anyway, i would look out for Hissing noise of the turbo, if its to loud you could have a turbo failure, (they are prone to manifold cracks) the car should ideally have a vehicle check from BMW, and you can check this via the dash as mentioned above, check the brakes and tyres, oil level and make sure you have a complete BMW service history, this is a must as the service intervals can be reset from the dash, i would pay for an AA inspection also as these cars are very sensitive to vehicle checks, look for ageing in the drivers seat, like peddle and stearing wheel to confirm mileage, the wear will be obvious as the trim is sensitive to wear! so to summarize, the biggest problems are the Turbo and manifold and swirl flaps and the rest is to be expected wear!! i hope this helps?

Steve
Old 08-14-2009, 05:42 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rislar' post='975614' date='Aug 14 2009, 12:06 AM
Sorry to piss on your bonfire but they were not removed until 07 on the LCI models, they where revised in 03 to 06 to 3mm and IMO are still weak after i removed mine!!!!

Anyway, i would look out for Hissing noise of the turbo, if its to loud you could have a turbo failure, (they are prone to manifold cracks) the car should ideally have a vehicle check from BMW, and you can check this via the dash as mentioned above, check the brakes and tyres, oil level and make sure you have a complete BMW service history, this is a must as the service intervals can be reset from the dash, i would pay for an AA inspection also as these cars are very sensitive to vehicle checks, look for ageing in the drivers seat, like peddle and stearing wheel to confirm mileage, the wear will be obvious as the trim is sensitive to wear! so to summarize, the biggest problems are the Turbo and manifold and swirl flaps and the rest is to be expected wear!! i hope this helps?

Steve
Thanks Steve that is a great help. The owner claims it has just been serviced with the micro filter, brake pads, brake fluid, oil and so on being changed.Claims it has a full BMW service history. Doesn't mention anything about the Turbo though. Ye mentioned earlier that it is common for them to be changed around 50k so does that mean it is a rough milestone for this to be done and in another 50k it will have to be done again? Is there anything else major that will have to be done in the next 20k or so?