E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What I wish my i-drive really did

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 05:09 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those interested in the topic of cockpit controller, I would refer you to this article: http://www.bmwcca.org/node/9282
Old 11-05-2007, 05:43 AM
Members

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='490208' date='Nov 5 2007, 02:01 PM
I've driven an Audi A8 for close to 2 weeks and also several Mercedes for a few weeks (S-Klasse). There is very little difference in response time or speed between the systems. The Audi and Mercedes systems have more buttons and you have to look down to press the right one because they are not logically placed. BMW is the only car maker that has a split screen (i.e. main window and assist) which, esp. when combined with Head-Up Display, provides more information to the driver at the same time. Audi provides some of this in the cluster on the A8 (not sure about other ranges).

The placement of the Monitor is better in the BMW and Mercedes than the Audi; the voice response in the BMW was better, and just to make it interesting, Bluetooth is not included with your purchase of a $100,000 Mercedes (yes that's unrelated but I had to throw that one in). It's a dealer-installed option.
The AUDI system is quicker, and easier to get round, the four buttons around the controller are straight forward and instantly give you access to your choose screen, my experience was some what longer that your two week experience, but by saying that the rest of the car was average considering its AUDI's best, and when some one said thats a big A4, I was put off.

The MB I completely agree, the bluetooth on all new ones, is good but the phone cradles are being discouraged, leaving you to recharge it from the cigarette lighter,I hate wires.

Never used the voice stuff, got feed up. Postion of screen, did not like MB but the Audi was good. I think BMW is the best.

The point I was making was the unpredictability of our i drives, because it is software if anything goes wrong your f**ked.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:01 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

I had read lots and lots of bad stuff about i-Drive and then, when I got my car earlier this year, wondered what the fuss was about. Drove an E280 diesel in Germany a couple of months ago and was stumped by it (taking into consideration that I got comfortable with i-Drive in all of 15 minutes).

Back to the question raised by the OP: I am sure someone somewhere in BMW AG had the thought, and someone else considered the possibility of either drivers getting too distracted in setting the thing up or drivers getting too distracted with all the data displayed to them - there is surely a happy balance somewhere and that some people will fail to find it. I recall my Saab had a switch that turned off all the instrument lighting at night except for the speedo - kind of focused your attention. Of course there are more bits of information that we can, or have to, have these days, but sometimes a little focus is a good thing.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Originally Posted by studavis' post='490105' date='Nov 5 2007, 01:28 AM
You could customize the display to show all of the engine information, including oil temp/pressure, water temp, alternator output, and then in another part of the screen, put the map, and perhaps the entertainment. At the very least, I should be able to upload that sultry French accent for voice command, and have the car on the screen match the color of my paint when the parking sensor comes on. Just a thought.
Honestly I do not care much about alternator output and the likes. What I would appreciate is the ability to adjust/change driving characteristics of my car. Every time I get a software update applied something changes in the way the car drives. Steering becomes tighter/lighter, suspension firmer or softer and so on. Since everything seems to be controlled by software why not allow the driver to set those characteristics to his (her) liking. A simple user interface with sport/normal/comfort for steering, suspension and tranny/engine response would make me very happy.