E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What I Strongly Dislike About the Refresh

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 07:25 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the wooden trim under the shifter baseplate the same size and shape as the current model ? Perhaps BMW has a huge store of these old baseplates and the black filler panel is a temporary measure until they have used their old stocks up, after which they will manufacture a new shape trim that removes the need for a black 'filler' panel.
One can only hope that is the case ... but I wouldn't want to be someone who orders a new facelift model when it comes out only to discover 6 months later that a new design wooden trim was being fitted and the black panel no longer needed ....
Old 01-10-2007, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I agree that the filler and baseplate of the shifter looks out of place but I also agree with the theory that we're looking at an early production version that is likely to change sooner or later (hopefully sooner!)

If they come out with a revised part down the road, you have to assume that it would be an easy retrofit for people who want to update their cars...
Old 01-10-2007, 08:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525Xi Build: Sep 2005 Del: May 2006 Ti Silver | Black | Premium Pkg. | Cold Weath. | Step | Xenon Adapt.

Perhaps going for "harmony" with the silver and black contrast of the steering wheel, and the temperature knobs? Or it was done by a Raiders fan?
Old 01-10-2007, 08:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by VIIV' post='376388' date='Jan 10 2007, 05:49 PM
Perhaps going for "harmony" with the silver and black contrast of the steering wheel, and the temperature knobs? Or it was done by a Raiders fan?
Hold the wheel upside down... Merc!

ABC
Old 01-10-2007, 11:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Well, IMO - the only shifter that doesn't look cheap at the base is the 6 speed manual. It has a traditional all-leather boot, and no rubber-ish plate on top. The auto has it, and the SMG does too. I never really understood why they put that gray-ish surround around the small leather boot area. At least this new one is a nice silver. From a design standpoint, the new bottom plate seems to mirror the new shifter itself. It's silver on top of black, with two black areas within the silver face.
Attached Thumbnails What I Strongly Dislike About the Refresh-manual.jpg   What I Strongly Dislike About the Refresh-auto.jpg   What I Strongly Dislike About the Refresh-smg.jpg  
Old 01-10-2007, 11:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='376459' date='Jan 10 2007, 03:01 PM
Well, IMO - the only shifter that doesn't look cheap at the base is the 6 speed manual. It has a traditional all-leather boot, and no rubber-ish plate on top. The auto has it, and the SMG does too. I never really understood why they put that gray-ish surround around the small leather boot area. At least this new one is a nice silver. From a design standpoint, the new bottom plate seems to mirror the new shifter itself. It's silver on top of black, with two black areas within the silver face.

I have tried to illustrate what I'm talking about with regard to the new shifter and plate. Outlined in red - the plate, is the area I think mimicks the area in blue - the shifter. The shaded areas in orange and yellow, correspond to show what I'm seeing in terms of how they correspond. It makes design sense to my eye.
Attached Thumbnails What I Strongly Dislike About the Refresh-pattern.jpg  
Old 01-10-2007, 05:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='376315' date='Jan 10 2007, 08:51 AM
pharding,

What's your opinion on the flow between the new wood trim on the door and the wood on the dash?

(see this post for more information...)
I need to see more of the door to form an opinion. Not all of the refresh design changes from an aeshthetic point of view are better. Some of the aesthetic changes are not better, but just different. The rear bumper is another good example of this. Personally I like the rear bumper better on 04 5 er than the refresh version. All things said the 545 is an awesome car with a great personality. BMW chickened out with the e90 design. They were very, very timid. I am glad that they didn't change the outline of the 5 er headlights with the refresh.

This summer I going to do Euro delivery on a carbon black 550 with the M-sport package or the 535 diesel if they bring it to the US. I know it sounds schizo, but that is what i am thinking right now. Raw power and sport versus being environmentally responsible. Decisions, decisions.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:52 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pharding' post='376642' date='Jan 10 2007, 09:43 PM
I going to do Euro delivery on a carbon black 550 with the M-sport package or the 535 diesel if they bring it to the US. I know it sounds schizo, but that is what i am thinking right now. Raw power and sport versus being environmentally responsible. Decisions, decisions.
We're on the same cycle, I think. If I remember correctly, you followed 1 -2 months behind my ED three years ago. I just scheduled my next one for May - a 550 Sport/carbon black/manual (I'm a dinosaur). Good luck.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

What I Strongly Dislike About the Refresh-h_drivers_side.jpgWhat I Strongly Dislike About the Refresh-h_pass_side.jpg
As other posters have noted the new driver's armrest/door pull and the passenger's armrest/door pull are incredibly crude. I guess if the new shifter base plate rests on a crude black patch the door handles/armrests should also be crude. The original e90 armrest/door pulls were so much better!!!! At least both the driver's door and the passenger's doors were both coherent and beautiful. I do not understand why BMW chose to have unique door handles on each side of the car with the refresh. The "new" driver's door handle design has been around since the 1950's. The "new" passenger?s door handle design dates to the 1960's. Why not settle on either the 50 year old door handle design or the 40 year old door handle design? Why are they both not the same? More sloppiness. Why does BMW slop together important design elements in the cabin of the refresh?

Is BMW losing its design vision? Design has been a a big part of BMW's wonderful increase in sales. Lately they have been pulling back to a more generic look. The e90 sedan is so timid in terms of design that it is almost bland. The e60 refresh in terms of design now has a muddled, crude look to the cabin. BMW just gussied up the cabin without working out the design. BMW do not lose your way and mindlessly slop together your cars. Design is important in very expensive cars. BMW is about design and technology. Not just technology. It is fine to listen to critics but do not just give up and slop stuff together. Otherwise Audi sales will improve at your expense.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:32 AM
Members

THe color does not match up. ON the passanger side, the black trim does not meet up nicely. THe wood trim is not the same size and looks clumsy. Not quite up to the stnadard.

Now sitting in the car might yield a less offensive view.

And......

The old design might have been a detrament to sales. Isn't that what study groups are for? Dealer feedback? Obviously there is a reason for the change. Sure the ergonomics of the switch was not great, but the passanger looks like they have to lift their arm to get the button.

The old design might not have been the best, but it was bold and different. In looking at them now objectively, I don't like the new design, nor do I think any of the changes in the bumpers are all that great. If anything, it dials the car back some or is more conservative.

The technology changes and optic improvements are nice. Lets put it this way, none of the changes would move me away from the 08, but given the financial incentives of an 07 I am a happy camper.

And,,,,,,,that 335 engine will be sweet!

I'll take the ugly doors for the engine anytime!

What is unfortunate is when a company hits success after a huge design change over a few years, it gets scared.

I remember when Honda was a very innovative company and one success with its unigue Accord designs. Now the Accord is the most bland looking machine! Likewise, the Camry in order to change it reputation now has the "bangle butt" on it!

What bothers me is any talk of the 2010 model as being more conservative than this model. Im sure it will still be a great machine, but the BMW 5 series is one of the few cars in this price range that is styling wise a departure from the mass.

The Infiniti M is the opposite of the spectrem.

Verdict: New doors suck, transmission shifter is clumsy, optics are way cool, and engine upgrades are the real deal.

In the end, they can refresh without pissing off the existing faithful and keep the car desireable. Not a bad job.

Audi interiors remain the class of the industry.

Quick Reply: What I Strongly Dislike About the Refresh