E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What I Strongly Dislike About the Refresh

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 03:36 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

The silver baseplate for the new shifter on top of the black filler panel looks hideous !!!!!!!! I cannot believe how ugly and tacky that is. How can such a wonderful car with a fine refresh gets such a dumb detail? As an design oriented architect, I believe that this fell through cracks and was a mindless compromise. BMW needs to bag to the truly stupid black filler panel and just make the silver baseplate for the shifter larger. Other than that the refresh with the new changes are incredibly well done. I just do not understand the black filler panel which looks horrible.

What I Strongly Dislike About the Refresh-shifter_base_plate.jpg
Old 01-10-2007, 03:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by pharding' post='376286' date='Jan 10 2007, 12:36 PM
The silver baseplate for the new shifter on top of the black filler panel looks hideous !!!!!!!! I cannot believe how ugly and tacky that is. How can such a wonderful car with a fine refresh gets such a dumb detail? As an design oriented architect, I believe that this fell through cracks and was a mindless compromise. BMW needs to bag to the truly stupid black filler panel and just make the silver baseplate for the shifter larger. Other than that the refresh with the new changes are incredibly well done. I just do not understand the black filler panel which looks horrible.

You are right it is absolutely hideous design and makes that gear shift look like a total hack.
It a shame that they didn't go the extra yard and do it properly. For cost and continuation engineering reasons it looks like they didn't want to alter the shape of the wood trim in that area (if you notice the new open cubby hold where the ashtray used to be is the same shape).

As much as I agree with you... it won't stop many of us from buying the facelift (and they know that).
Old 01-10-2007, 04:22 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='376287' date='Jan 10 2007, 02:51 PM
You are right it is absolutely hideous design and makes that gear shift look like a total hack.
It a shame that they didn't go the extra yard and do it properly. For cost and continuation engineering reasons it looks like they didn't want to alter the shape of the wood trim in that area (if you notice the new open cubby hold where the ashtray used to be is the same shape).

As much as I agree with you... it won't stop many of us from buying the facelift (and they know that).
The new cubby hold hole in the trim panel is different from the old sliding cover ashtray. In the old design one side of the hole was open to allow the ashtray cover to slide, whereas in the new design the trim panel encloses the hole from all 4 sides. So they had to change the wood trim panel anyway! Probably the shifter hole is designed for the manual transmission gaiter and the auto is a stupid design compromise. They apparently wanted to mimic the X5 joystick shifter base plate in here as well, and did not bother to change the shape of the manual transmission gear lever gaiter.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:23 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='376287' date='Jan 10 2007, 12:51 PM
...the shape of the wood trim...
I expect that trim has seen some hydrocarbons but probably most recently in a crude oil barrel.

ABC
Old 01-10-2007, 05:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by Heikki' post='376294' date='Jan 10 2007, 01:22 PM
The new cubby hold hole in the trim panel is different from the old sliding cover ashtray. In the old design one side of the hole was open to allow the ashtray cover to slide, whereas in the new design the trim panel encloses the hole from all 4 sides. So they had to change the wood trim panel anyway! Probably the shifter hole is designed for the manual transmission gaiter and the auto is a stupid design compromise. They apparently wanted to mimic the X5 joystick shifter base plate in here as well, and did not bother to change the shape of the manual transmission gear lever gaiter.
Thanks. Didn't notice that....
It's shame they didn't just do 2 versions of the trim... one for the automatic cutout, one for the manual. Given that automatic probably accounts for most of the sales, it's strange that that is the configuration that suffers from the ugly hack.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

pharding,

What's your opinion on the flow between the new wood trim on the door and the wood on the dash?

(see this post for more information...)
Old 01-10-2007, 05:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i Sport, Man, Cold WX Pkg, Black Sapphire Met on Black

Rudy
completely see what you mean by the break in flow. i think my eye would also be continuously drawn to the stoppage as well......only when stopped though. Once in motion, I would hope that this would fade away as the lines get blurry.

As a point to the current e60 window control placement....I like it, but then I am 6'3" with long arms and can reach with no issues. I can imagine the difficulty if ones arms are not so long.

Something I might like to see though, is a flat steering wheel at the bottom (ala race car steering) as my knees can get in the way sometimes. Thoughts?
Old 01-10-2007, 05:59 AM
Members

Oh and the plate for the auto trim does look hidous. A real oversight.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:00 AM
Members

er...hideous
Old 01-10-2007, 06:02 AM
Senior Members

The entire housing of the shift mechanism, resting on the "transmission tunnel", looks like it's been placed there as a push-in afterthought.

And the centre console "wood" trim is a joke. HOW many separate pieces?

ABC

Quick Reply: What I Strongly Dislike About the Refresh