E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What to expect from a Service

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 06:11 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to expect from a Service

Guys,

I just got my car back from a yearly service, do they wash the engine also in this ? Look at the picture of my engine.. is this normal for them to not even clean under the hood???
Attached Thumbnails What to expect from a Service-photo-8-.jpg  
Old 08-08-2013, 07:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi w/Sport, Premium, Cold weather. Silver Gray Metallic, Black Dakota leather interior.

No they do not wash the engine. Yes it is normal that they do not. Geez, that is bad, have you ever popped the hood yourself? Looks dirty enough I would guess the belly pan is gone.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:09 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i2008 535i Monaco Blue PP, SP, SAT w/paddles, AS, CA, L7, NAV, PDC, Heated F Seats, SIRIUS, iPod+Aux, Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim

You are kidding, right?
Old 08-08-2013, 07:33 PM
Members

Originally Posted by baveagle
You are kidding, right?
Let me know what shall I do ? and what is belly pan? shall i take car back to dealership or send this picture to them??
Old 08-08-2013, 07:38 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Wow that is dirty. And no the dealer only washes the exterior of the car and vacuums the inside.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:45 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Booyaazaa
Wow that is dirty. And no the dealer only washes the exterior of the car and vacuums the inside.
OK How can I clean on my own? please advise
Old 08-08-2013, 08:59 PM
New Members

LOL.. thats nasty..

After I wash my car I take the wet towels from drying off my car and wipe down my engine - it looks new still. You need to bust out the towels with abucket of water - wipe and dip into bucket of water; rinse and repeat. Isn't rocket science buddy!
Old 08-09-2013, 02:08 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I'm surprised the dealer even allowed your car in their shop as dirty as it is. Curious how it got like this. I'm a firm believer if you keep your car clean it will last longer...
Old 08-09-2013, 05:33 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi w/Sport, Premium, Cold weather. Silver Gray Metallic, Black Dakota leather interior.

Originally Posted by fatboysam
Let me know what shall I do ? and what is belly pan? shall i take car back to dealership or send this picture to them??
I think if you take it into them that they'll laugh you out of there. Have a read on the DIY subsection on how to clean it yourself. The belly pan is a cover underneath of the car covering the engine compartment and extending back another couple of feet.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:43 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eeeeeeewwwww. That is a nasty looking engine. I'll bet your air and cabin filters are a mess too.

Anyone having to work on that engine will be muttering under their breath, and it won't be praise for you.

The panel which goes under the engine is commonly referred to as a "belly pan" or "splash pan". BMW refers to is as the "front engine encapsulation" and it is shown as #5 in the link below.
RealOEM.com * BMW E60 545i Air duct

In the past some manufacturers did utilize pans underneath the engine to keep the engine cleaner but BMW's under body panels are much more sophisticated.

BMW began 15 years ago innovating under-chassis aerodynamics as key to exceptionally low drag coefficients and high speed stability through under-chassis airflow control.

If you get a chance to look at the underside of your car on a lift you will see that BMW employs a number of panels all the way to the rear of the car to "smooth" the underside in order to create a controlled stream of air. This dramatically reduces drag by reducing air tumbling, which interrupts smooth flow and creates unwanted lift. We have all probably driven a car at high speed down the highway when the front end starts to feel light like it is being lifted. It is. Air is tumbling under the car and causing aerodynamic lift of the front end.

Smooth airflow under the car, coupled with control of the airflow into and out of the engine compartment, actually keeps the engine cooler than running without the belly pan.

If you are missing your belly pan I would replace it.

As for taking care of that mess under the hood. DO NOT USE A HOSE. Lots of electronics under the hood do not like to be flooded. Only you can decide how far you want to go in detailing, but at a minimum the major surface dirt should be removed.

The best approach is two pails and three rags. Put a SMALL amount of soap in the water of one pail, and just plain water in the second pail.

Begin by cleaning a small area with the soapy water, using the rags damp, but not dripping. Again, the idea is to not put a lot of water on the engine electronics. Swirl the rag several times in the soapy water as you clean that small area. Then using the second rag in the plain water wipe that small area, rinsing the rag several times. Then after the cleaned and rinsed area is beginning to dry, buff it dry with the third towel.

Rinse and refill both pails often and you should be able to get through it in no time. Once you have it back under control maintenance will become 10 minutes every few months with just a rag damp with water.

Mechanics will thank you, the engine will run cooler and you will have a much easier time identifying and catching leaks early.

Quick Reply: What to expect from a Service