E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What a drunk driver and a rev limiter had in common?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007 | 06:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550I, Manual, Space Gray Metallic, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Navigation, Satellite, Power Sunshade, Comfort Access.

What are the consequences of driving my car, which has only 102 miles to the red line until the rev limiter kicks in on both first and second gears?

Historically I follow the break-in instructions to the dot, but yesterday evening on my way home after work, while sitting in a red light a drunk driver decided to drive against traffic and on a head-on collision with my new 550I. Years of riding motorcycle kicks in and I act instinctively, which probably saved my life. I floored it and run toward the far right shoulders as fast as I could.

BTW, the SOB continues straight and he hit the 18-wheelers behind me head-on. In any case, no visible damage to myself or the car, and I can only praise this car/engine for responding so quickly and powerfully when still new.

Today I was thinking about the potential invisible damage to the engine, realizing that regardless to the damage, avoiding this maniac was the right thing to do.

Be safe and watch out for drunk drivers.

Peace
Old 08-30-2007 | 07:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Daveella' post='464385' date='Aug 30 2007, 07:54 PM
What are the consequences of driving my car, which has only 102 miles to the red line until the rev limiter kicks in on both first and second gears?

Historically I follow the break-in instructions to the dot, but yesterday evening on my way home after work, while sitting in a red light a drunk driver decided to drive against traffic and on a head-on collision with my new 550I. Years of riding motorcycle kicks in and I act instinctively, which probably saved my life. I floored it and run toward the far right shoulders as fast as I could.

BTW, the SOB continues straight and he hit the 18-wheelers behind me head-on. In any case, no visible damage to myself or the car, and I can only praise this car/engine for responding so quickly and powerfully when still new.

Today I was thinking about the potential invisible damage to the engine, realizing that regardless to the damage, avoiding this maniac was the right thing to do.

Peace
99% sure you've done no damage whatsoever, presuming the engine was already warmed up to operating temperature. Nice job on the quick thinking - may have ended up with something far more serious than minor engine wear.
Old 08-30-2007 | 07:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

I'm glad to know you're OK
I'm sure the car is also fine.
Old 08-30-2007 | 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

You should be fine -- the rev-limiter did it's job and the engine will likely be fine over the long term (as long as you at least try to break it in proplerly...)

Glad to hear you're okay!
Old 08-30-2007 | 07:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, Alpine White, Beige Ltr, Sport Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Steptronic, Nav, Satellite Radio, Split Fold Rear Seats, V1

WOW! That sounds incredible. Good description as I could visualize this happening. As a fellow motorcyclist I can relate to the heads up quick evasive maneuvering. Thank goodness you reacted quickly and got out of the way. I seriously doubt you did any damage at all to your baby. Think of it this way, if you did not take the action you did the damage would have been much worse. The break in is "recommended" and it is just a good best practice. If your car is not misbehaving just continue on smiling. Otherwise any problem should be covered under warranty.
Old 08-30-2007 | 07:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 530i Color: Jet Black/Black Anthracite STEP | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 EXTERIOR: M-Tech Kit | M5 Mirrors, Trunk Finisher | Jet Black Kidney Surrounds | Madico Charcool Tint 54%, 35% LIGHTING: Euro-Headlights | Euro-LCI Tail Lights | AiB V3.0 | Solaris Invisi-bulbs | OEM LED Plate Lights PERFORMANCE: Porterfield R4-S Brake Pads | K&N Air Filter WHEELS & SUSPENSION: Work VS-XX 20x9, 20x10 | Toyo T1R 245/30/20, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 295/25/20 | KW V2 Coilovers | Rogue Engineering 15mm Spacers

Glad to hear your baby's safe. Sorry to hear about hitting redline on the break-in.
Old 08-30-2007 | 08:10 PM
Contributors

Thank God you're safe. That drunk driver must deserve heavy penalty under the law.
Old 08-30-2007 | 08:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Given that the engine was warm your engine is fine... no worries. Its good to stretch its legs once in a while... even if the engine had 1 mile on the odometer and was cold i'm sure it'll still be fine. Running it once like that wont do it any harm.

Heck even if you ran it like that every day I bet it'll still be good given that the engine was warm. I know and read about a few people believing that its better to run the engine in hard rather than baby it for the first 1000 miles. A MINI technician friend of mine did that with his MINI when he first picked it up. Warmed up the engine and with 15 miles on the clock he ran it hard from 0 to redline shifting over 3 gears for 20 mines to hard break the engine in... he now has 80K on the engine and its been flawless. And I have to admit when I raced him against my MINI his was a tad faster... but then again mine was loaded with extra his was bare minimum.
Old 08-30-2007 | 10:00 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

good instinct and glad to hear youre ok. your baby will be fine and keep enjoying her.
Old 08-30-2007 | 11:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by Daveella' post='464385' date='Aug 31 2007, 04:54 AM

Peace
No damages : my 545i was @rev limiter after 1 hour it went out from the dealer

Quick Reply: What a drunk driver and a rev limiter had in common?